RE: [atlas_craftsman] Replacement motor

  • carvel webb
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2011
      Hi Cecil ,

      If you search back in the messages of this group for treadmill motor , you
      will find a wealth of discussion on this issue ,

      Good luck ,

      Carvel

      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 8:28 AM
        Cecil,

        I'm also new to lathe work. A friend donated a complete treadmill motor and controller setup for me to try on my 618. The treadmill parts were all kind of ugly but spun up nicely. The only missing part needed was a tensioning device and a blank drive pulley from McMaster Carr. But when I asked a machinist friend to bore it to fit the treadmill motor shaft precisely, he wanted to come see my setup. Looking it over he said I'd be crazy to change my setup to use the treadmill motor. He believed that the old 1/4 HP motor and pulley spindle set up was far more robust and had all the speeds I would ever need.

        I kind of liked the looks of the older setup, and the purity of keeping it more original, so the treadmill motor etc languishes in a box until I can return it to my friend.

        Just passing that POV along. Good luck...
        Ivan

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Cecil D" <cbdeajr@...> wrote:

        > Just got a treadmill motor that I would like to mount on my 618. What is the best way to do this. As I am new to metal working I can use all the suggestion I
        > can get.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Cecil

      • Glenn N
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 8:52 AM
          To follow up on that thought...
          When I got my 6" lathe years ago one of the first things I did was strip out
          the backgears :( So, unable to find a set reasonably at the time I changed
          out the motor for the treadmill motor. I really liked it on the 6" but
          still had to change belts every now and then. I did modify the control
          extensively to eliminate the zero start issue and the really slow ramp
          times. I also put a treadmill motor on my drill press and that is still
          running stron in my son's shop. I sold the 6" and now have a 12" I have had
          for close to 10 years now. I have had a treadmill motor and modified
          control sitting on the shelf the whole time and it is yet to be installed.
          Maybe when the current motor lets the smoke out it will be worth hanging the
          treadmill motor on there :) But for now it isn't worth the effort to hang
          it on there and find a place to put the controls.

          You can either take the capitalist view, "If it ain't broke don't fix it",
          or the Government view, "If it ain't broke fix it till it is". Your choice
          ;)

          Glenn

          Oh..if ya need help figuring out the controls holler ..