Re: Lathe Collets

  • anthrhodes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2011
      David,

      3SB is the designation that South Bend gave to what are essentially 3C
      collets. Get a copy of the drawing for 3Cs and compare it to what you presently
      have. Listed as 3Cs they become much more readily available.

      Of all the "C" collets, 5C is probably the most commonly available lathe
      collet in the world, certainly so for those used by hobbyists. 3C and 4C are
      the next most available, both semi-obsolete but they can be found. The
      original collet offered by Atlas was 3AT, very similar to 3C but not
      interchangeable. A more recent move has been towards ER collets which have their good
      points but also drawbacks Stick with the 3Cs.

      Anthony
      Berkeley, Calif.
      In a message dated Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 pm (PDT), _nomous69_
      (http://profiles.yahoo.com/nomous69) writes:

      Now on to my question. I have been going through the things that we have
      for the lathe and have been trying to fill in some holes. I have a
      fairly complete set of collets but I do have a few that are missing.
      They say Rivett 3SB on them. I believe that Rivett is the manufacturer
      but don't know what the 3SB is. Could the SB mean South Bend. My
      grandfather was a machinist and I think he worked on a Southbend lathe
      and some of the parts we have were donated by him. The collets are 2 &
      3/4" long and have a thread on the outside that is 26tpi. There is a
      slot on the outside of each one that lines up with a key on the inside
      of the collet closer that is pulled with a drawbar that goes through the
      headstock spindle. I have been looking for some collets with this 3SB on
      them but can't seem to find any. My question is, is there another number
      that will work with the accessories that I currently have? I really
      don't know anything about what the numbers on collets mean.

    • David Van Mill
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
        Thanks Mike and Anthony for the collet information. It is very helpful. I went
        to the website that Mike mentioned and looked at all the specifications and
        determined that the 3C would probably work and you confirmed that for me
        Anthony. Thanks again!

        David

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
          On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 06:56 -0700, David Van Mill wrote:
          > Thanks Mike and Anthony for the collet information. It is very helpful. I went
          > to the website that Mike mentioned and looked at all the specifications and
          > determined that the 3C would probably work and you confirmed that for me
          > Anthony. Thanks again!

          David, I'm happy to help.

          Those Rivett collets are about as good as you are ever going to find.
          Nice stuff to have.

          --
          Mike N