Re: QCTP Story

  • mertnedp
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2011
      Well, it is made of cast iron. The area is only about .150" thick. You only need to mill off about an area of 1/2" or so. to clear the corner of the tool post. Mine was broken and repaired in the T-slot area. I decided to make a new one that was flat and of steel. I retired the original to the spare parts area.

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Richard Marchi <rfmarchi@...> wrote:

      > I also recently bought a CDCO AXA tool post, so I appreciated the thread about mounting it on a TH-42. I haven't got to trying to mount it yet, but wondered if anyone tried milling a flat on the compound hump? I'd think that all the cutting forces trying to rock the tool post would be carried by the thinner ends of the slot, so it shouldn't matter that the excess thickness of the hump would make it any less rigid than it already is. Thoughts...?
      >
      > Thanks in advance
      >
      > Dick
      >

      > Washington, DC

    • harpanet13
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2011
        but wondered if anyone tried milling a flat on the compound hump? I'd think that all the cutting forces trying to rock the tool post would be carried by the thinner ends of the slot, so it shouldn't matter that the excess thickness of the hump would make it any less rigid than it already is. Thoughts...?

        That's what I did with mine . I "milled" a flat area with a small angle grinder so the corner could just swing through the arc. Didn't seem to have any ill effect.

        Wayne
      • Cindy & Wayne Burner
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2011
          Despite the majority of members that will say no, I milled the hump
          off of mine when I first got my AXA, and have had no problems, or
          regrets since doing so. I was so afraid that it was going to break, I
          had bought an extra casting to perform the surgery on, just in case
          the original exploded like I was led to believe. No regrets, and the
          holder can rotate 360 degrees.

          Wayne(rice)Burner
          The maple sap buckets are on the trees
          The first true sign, that warmer weather is coming, here in NH
        • mertnedp
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2011
            I would of ground mine if it was not already broken but making the new one was good for a winter project.

            Yes the buckets are on in this area as well!!!

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Cindy & Wayne Burner <burners4@...> wrote:

            > Despite the majority of members that will say no, I milled the hump
            > off of mine when I first got my AXA, and have had no problems, or
            > regrets since doing so. I was so afraid that it was going to break, I
            > had bought an extra casting to perform the surgery on, just in case
            > the original exploded like I was led to believe. No regrets, and the
            > holder can rotate 360 degrees.
            >
            > Wayne(rice)Burner
            > The maple sap buckets are on the trees
            > The first true sign, that warmer weather is coming, here in NH

          • jworman
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2011
              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Cindy & Wayne Burner <burners4@...> wrote:

              > Despite the majority of members that will say no, I milled the hump
              > off of mine when I first got my AXA, and have had no problems, or
              > regrets since doing so. I was so afraid that it was going to break, I
              > had bought an extra casting to perform the surgery on, just in case
              > the original exploded like I was led to believe. No regrets, and the
              > holder can rotate 360 degrees.
              >
              > Wayne(rice)Burner
              > The maple sap buckets are on the trees
              > The first true sign, that warmer weather is coming, here in NH

              I was a bit cowardly. I found one already modified on Ebay, so I bought it. My AXA will swing 360° now. No problems in the last 3 years.