new article available: A Different Kind of Screw Vise

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 27, 2011
      This article is another in my series of "newbie" projects although
      experienced machinists may find value in the design.

      The vise clamps a #6 or #8 screw such that it's end can be easily and safely
      beveled on a grinding wheel. The vise is similar to a pin vise except that
      it grabs the head and body.

      If you are interested, please see

      http://rick.sparber.org/dsv.pdf

      Questions and comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of
      us.

      Rick

    • trois2005
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 28, 2011
        Now thats a great idea. What a finger saver thanks.

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

        > This article is another in my series of "newbie" projects although
        > experienced machinists may find value in the design.
        >

        > The vise clamps a #6 or #8 screw such that it's end can be easily and safely
        > beveled on a grinding wheel. The vise is similar to a pin vise except that
        > it grabs the head and body.
        >

        > If you are interested, please see
        >

        > http://rick.sparber.org/dsv.pdf
        >

        > Questions and comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of
        > us.
        >

        > Rick

      • Rick Sparber
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 28, 2011
          There is a refinement to this design that would be useful for screws smaller
          than #6. Just leave off the mill work. You will have to drop the screw into
          the small hole but otherwise is the same. It would be difficult to cut slots
          this small anyway.

          Rick

          wrote:

          > This article is another in my series of "newbie" projects although
          > experienced machinists may find value in the design.
          >

          > The vise clamps a #6 or #8 screw such that it's end can be easily and
          safely
          > beveled on a grinding wheel. The vise is similar to a pin vise except that
          > it grabs the head and body.
          >

          > If you are interested, please see
          >

          > http://rick.sparber.org/dsv.pdf
          >

          > Questions and comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of
          > us.
          >

          > Rick

          The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
          http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
          Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
          mailto://elson@...! Groups Links
        • wheezer
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 28, 2011
            Great for holding and starting screws in awkward spots.

            Machine a hex head on it for insertion into a driver.

            lance
            ++++

            On Feb 28, 2011, at 10:28 PM, Rick Sparber wrote:

            > There is a refinement to this design that would be useful for
            > screws smaller
            > than #6. Just leave off the mill work. You will have to drop the
            > screw into
            > the small hole but otherwise is the same. It would be difficult to
            > cut slots
            > this small anyway.
            >
            > Rick

          • Rick Sparber
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 28, 2011
              Lance,

              I tried to get this idea to work but could not figure out how to release the
              vise without lots of space next to the screw.

              Rick

              Great for holding and starting screws in awkward spots.

              Machine a hex head on it for insertion into a driver.

              lance
              ++++

              On Feb 28, 2011, at 10:28 PM, Rick Sparber wrote:

              > There is a refinement to this design that would be useful for
              > screws smaller
              > than #6. Just leave off the mill work. You will have to drop the
              > screw into
              > the small hole but otherwise is the same. It would be difficult to
              > cut slots
              > this small anyway.
              >
              > Rick

              The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
              http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
              Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
              mailto://elson@...! Groups Links
            • Dean
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 28, 2011
                Pretty neat, Rick. Looks like a handy shop addition.

                Dean

                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

                > This article is another in my series of "newbie" projects although
                > experienced machinists may find value in the design.
                >

                > The vise clamps a #6 or #8 screw such that it's end can be easily and safely
                > beveled on a grinding wheel. The vise is similar to a pin vise except that
                > it grabs the head and body.
                >

                > If you are interested, please see
                >

                > http://rick.sparber.org/dsv.pdf
                >

                > Questions and comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of
                > us.
                >

                > Rick

              • Scott Henion
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 28, 2011
                  On 2/27/2011 1:22 PM, Rick Sparber wrote:
                  > This article is another in my series of "newbie" projects although
                  > experienced machinists may find value in the design.
                  >

                  > The vise clamps a #6 or #8 screw such that it's end can be easily and safely
                  > beveled on a grinding wheel. The vise is similar to a pin vise except that
                  > it grabs the head and body.
                  >

                  > If you are interested, please see
                  >

                  > http://rick.sparber.org/dsv.pdf
                  >

                  > Questions and comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of
                  > us.

                  Very nice write up, well done.

                  Looks useful. I just use one nut screwed up to the head, then another
                  farther down. Then just mount in 3-jaw and turn using compound. Have
                  done it with #4 up to 1/2". Use nyloc nuts if you have them.

                  <Scott>

                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 28, 2011
                    Lock the chuck of the driver
                    and rotate the driver by hand
                    to loosen the bolt.

                    lance
                    ++++
                    On Feb 28, 2011, at 11:02 PM, Rick Sparber wrote:

                    > Lance,
                    >
                    > I tried to get this idea to work but could not figure out how to
                    > release the
                    > vise without lots of space next to the screw.
                    >
                    > Rick

                  • Rick Sparber
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 1 7:56 AM
                      This thread is getting very confusing. There are actually two designs being
                      discussed here. One involves holding screws in a lathe and the other
                      involves holding a screw on the end of a screw driver. I was referring to
                      the screwdriver problem.

                      Rick

                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 1 7:59 AM
                        Scott,

                        When I use this trick, I often have the screw turn from the force of the
                        cutter. But when I used split nuts, all is held tight.

                        By a split nut, I mean taking a nut and sawing through one side. Then when
                        the jaws clamp it, the nut compresses and grabs the screw.

                        Rick

                        --

                        ------------------------------------
                        Scott G. Henion

                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 1 8:07 AM
                          Dean,

                          I'm sure this idea is very old yet I've not seen it before.

                          Rick

                          Pretty neat, Rick. Looks like a handy shop addition.

                          Dean
                        • Glenn N
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 1 10:37 AM
                            This article seems to fit well with the screw cutter article. Or at least I
                            thought you did a screw cutter article..can't seem to find it now but :)

                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 1 11:54 AM
                              Dean,

                              I don't recall ever writing about single point chasing of threads. If I was
                              going to cut a bolt on a lathe, I would just turn it all between centers and
                              then part it off.

                              Rick

                              This article seems to fit well with the screw cutter article. Or at least I

                              thought you did a screw cutter article..can't seem to find it now but :)
                            • MB SA
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 1 1:41 PM
                                Part off between centres? I was always led to believe that is a very strict no-no ????

                                This article seems to fit well with the screw cutter article. Or at least I

                                thought you did a screw cutter article..can't seem to find it now but :)

                              • Rick
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 1 2:00 PM
                                  My error. Never part off between centers.

                                  Rick (via iPod)

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 1 7:37 PM
                                    Rick,
                                    I thought you did an article on making a tool for cutting the screws to
                                    length?

                                    Glenn

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 1 9:42 PM
                                      Rick, check this link out, and see if it's what you're thinking of. I had a copy I downloaded from Lee Valley Tools a while back, but can't find it on their site. I've been looking at the 1924 PopSci magazines on Google Books, and haven't found it either. They're missing the October issue, and I've not got a very large screen on this netbook, so I may have just missed it...

                                      http://www.homeshopsupply.com/hldscrew.pdf

                                      HTH!

                                      Bill in OKC

                                      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

                                      > Dean,
                                      >
                                      > I'm sure this idea is very old yet I've not seen it before.
                                      >
                                      > Rick

                                    • wheezer
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 2 7:09 AM
                                        The sketch doesn't seem to allow for the screw to have any head.

                                        If yes, then how is the head of the screw inserted?

                                        Plan seems to be missing a ket element.

                                        lance
                                        ++++
                                        On Mar 2, 2011, at 12:42 AM, oldstudentmsgt wrote:

                                        > Rick, check this link out, and see if it's what you're thinking of.
                                        > I had a copy I downloaded from Lee Valley Tools a while back, but
                                        > can't find it on their site. I've been looking at the 1924 PopSci
                                        > magazines on Google Books, and haven't found it either. They're
                                        > missing the October issue, and I've not got a very large screen on
                                        > this netbook, so I may have just missed it...
                                        >
                                        > http://www.homeshopsupply.com/hldscrew.pdf
                                        >
                                        > HTH!
                                        >
                                        > Bill in OKC

                                      • Rick Sparber
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 2 7:48 AM
                                          Lance,

                                          It is hard to see, but the head fills the void between the end of the
                                          threaded rod that fits in the lathe and the cup.

                                          It amazes me how much detail is in this hand drawn figure. That knurling
                                          alone must have taken a full day.

                                          Rick

                                          The sketch doesn't seem to allow for the screw to have any head.

                                          If yes, then how is the head of the screw inserted?

                                          Plan seems to be missing a ket element.

                                          lance
                                          ++++
                                          On Mar 2, 2011, at 12:42 AM, oldstudentmsgt wrote:

                                          > Rick, check this link out, and see if it's what you're thinking of.
                                          > I had a copy I downloaded from Lee Valley Tools a while back, but
                                          > can't find it on their site. I've been looking at the 1924 PopSci
                                          > magazines on Google Books, and haven't found it either. They're
                                          > missing the October issue, and I've not got a very large screen on
                                          > this netbook, so I may have just missed it...
                                          >
                                          > http://www.homeshopsupply.com/hldscrew.pdf
                                          >
                                          > HTH!
                                          >
                                          > Bill in OKC
                                        • Rick Sparber
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 2 8:24 AM
                                            Bill,

                                            The idea is first rate as is the rendering. These old PopSci articles just
                                            make me sad when I think about what this magazine is now.

                                            My guess is that somewhere out there is an article about making the screw
                                            vise that I came up with. It is so simple, it must be old hat. Just in case
                                            it is new, I always publish my inventions first so they are in the public
                                            domain. In that way they cannot be stolen and patented by anyone.

                                            Rick

                                            Rick, check this link out, and see if it's what you're thinking of. I had a
                                            copy I downloaded from Lee Valley Tools a while back, but can't find it on
                                            their site. I've been looking at the 1924 PopSci magazines on Google Books,
                                            and haven't found it either. They're missing the October issue, and I've not
                                            got a very large screen on this netbook, so I may have just missed it...

                                            http://www.homeshopsupply.com/hldscrew.pdf

                                            HTH!

                                            Bill in OKC
                                          • Starlight Tool Services Ltd
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 2 8:47 AM
                                              In order to allow for screw heads, they would be threaded in from the back of the knurled cap, or by removing the Hex Nut, of which "several of these capscrews are drilled and tapped, along their axis, to fit the various sizes of screws"

                                              This design is neat in that it allows for work on grub screws or headed screws for that matter.

                                              Now Rick's design is also very good in that headed screws can be changed extremely quickly.

                                              I think they could be integrated by making a special sleeve head with the slots in it that threads into the knurled cap, Ie male threads on outside instead of female threads inside, such that the pin on the mandrel would still apply pressure to the head of the screw.

                                              Walter

                                              The sketch doesn't seem to allow for the screw to have any head.

                                              If yes, then how is the head of the screw inserted?

                                              Plan seems to be missing a ket element.

                                              lance
                                              ++++
                                              On Mar 2, 2011, at 12:42 AM, oldstudentmsgt wrote:

                                              > Rick, check this link out, and see if it's what you're thinking of.
                                              > I had a copy I downloaded from Lee Valley Tools a while back, but
                                              > can't find it on their site. I've been looking at the 1924 PopSci
                                              > magazines on Google Books, and haven't found it either. They're
                                              > missing the October issue, and I've not got a very large screen on
                                              > this netbook, so I may have just missed it...
                                              >
                                              > http://www.homeshopsupply.com/hldscrew.pdf
                                              >
                                              > HTH!
                                              >
                                              > Bill in OKC

                                            • Rick Sparber
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 2 8:56 AM
                                                Walter,

                                                If I was going to hold a screw in a lathe, I would not trust the side slot
                                                design. It is fine for hand held grinding where the side forces should be
                                                much less.

                                                Rick

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 2 9:00 AM
                                                  Rick

                                                  Yes I agree, but I was looking at a way to combine both tool designs so that only one holder needed to be made and a series of tips would make it useful for either hand work or in the lathe.

                                                  It is on my "To Do List"

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Mar 2 9:30 AM
                                                    Rick,

                                                    I don't think so.

                                                    It says, "The other
                                                    end is threaded, and a -short
                                                    length turned down to a small
                                                    diameter-, as shown."

                                                    So the shaft is plain thick, threaded thick, plain thin.
                                                    The thin bit sticks into the threaded hole of the knurled nut.

                                                    ..." when the small-diameter nose of the shank butts
                                                    against the screw, and locks it firmly."

                                                    So, there is no provision for a headed screw or bolt,
                                                    unless the head were smaller than the hole in the knurled sleeve.

                                                    lance
                                                    ++++

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Mar 2 9:35 AM
                                                      On 3/2/2011 12:30 PM, wheezer wrote:
                                                      > Rick,
                                                      >
                                                      > I don't think so.
                                                      >
                                                      > It says, "The other
                                                      > end is threaded, and a -short
                                                      > length turned down to a small
                                                      > diameter-, as shown."
                                                      >
                                                      > So the shaft is plain thick, threaded thick, plain thin.
                                                      > The thin bit sticks into the threaded hole of the knurled nut.
                                                      >
                                                      > ..." when the small-diameter nose of the shank butts
                                                      > against the screw, and locks it firmly."
                                                      >
                                                      > So, there is no provision for a headed screw or bolt,
                                                      > unless the head were smaller than the hole in the knurled sleeve.
                                                      >
                                                      > lance
                                                      > ++++

                                                      I'd leave out the small pin. Instead drill a hole and insert a rod when
                                                      needed. Then it can be left out if there is a head.

                                                      --

                                                      ------------------------------------
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Mar 2 10:04 AM
                                                        Ok guys, so as Scott said, I think that putting a separate pin would be an idea as then a hardened pin could be used to reduce wear and any possible deflection, but as for the head of the screw, it would be able to be as large as the minor diameter of the threads of the Hex Head Bolt. so if you used a 1/2 NF 20 screw then would be ample for most small screws up to at least a #12

                                                        Now the shortest screw that could be worked on would be the length of the Hex Head Bolt so not much shorter than 3/8" in a pan or button head screw.

                                                        Just my 2 cents

                                                        Walter

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Mar 2 10:15 AM
                                                          Rephrase that, Screw head size could be as large as the minor diameter of the knurled sleeve as the pin would be pushing against the head of the screw. The shortest length would still be the length of the hex nut, assuming as shown that it ends flush with the inside bore of the knurled sleeve.

                                                          Walter

                                                          > So the shaft is plain thick, threaded thick, plain thin.
                                                          > The thin bit sticks into the threaded hole of the knurled nut.
                                                          >
                                                          > ..." when the small-diameter nose of the shank butts
                                                          > against the screw, and locks it firmly."
                                                          >
                                                          > So, there is no provision for a headed screw or bolt,
                                                          > unless the head were smaller than the hole in the knurled sleeve.
                                                          >
                                                          > lance
                                                          > ++++

                                                          I'd leave out the small pin. Instead drill a hole and insert a rod when
                                                          needed. Then it can be left out if there is a head.

                                                        • L. Garlinghouse
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Mar 3 2:59 PM
                                                            I don't think the intended purpose of the vise was to hold headed screws.
                                                            The drawing seems to show a slotted "grub" screw, i.e. a headless screw,
                                                            just the ones we unscrew to lube the cross slide and other places on our
                                                            lathes.

                                                            For what its worth, the design comes from 1924 and allen screws weren't
                                                            invented yet. As long as the head on the screw to be machined was smaller
                                                            than the clamping screw, it should work as well on, say 6-32 machine screws
                                                            with heads.

                                                            The amazing thing to me about the drawing is not the cross hatching and
                                                            shading [I've done that in some technial illustrations with K2 pencil on
                                                            mylar] but that it was probably inked. If you've ever had experience inking
                                                            with 1924 insturments, you haven't lived. Yecchhhh!!! They were still
                                                            teaching that in the engineering programs and HS drafting programs in the
                                                            early '60s and the instruments were unchanged from those in the previous
                                                            century. At least computers changed all of THAT.

                                                            Later,

                                                            L.H. Garlinghouse
                                                          • oldstudentmsgt
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Mar 3 6:57 PM
                                                              Lance, If I understand the drawing correctly, the black space in the middle of the tool would be where the head of the screw, if any, would be. The design also seems to be good for working on head-less screws, like the setcrews used as gib adjusters in my chinese mini-lathe. Whatever screw you're going to modify gets screwed into the the "hex head bolt" that forms the nose of the tool. The knurled sleeve snugs that nose and the head of the screw down against the shank to prevent if from turning.

                                                              If your screw has a head, you'd thread it through both nose and the knurled sleeve before mounting it on the shank.

                                                              Am I making any sense here?

                                                              Bill in OKC