Wicks for drip oilers on headstock question

  • teeter9786@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
      What is a good homespun or localy available product for the wicks used in 10f headstock drip oilers? I just finished cleaning and repairing my headstock and found that the wicks were mangled and dirty so I yanked them out and checked to make sure oil would flow and everything was good. They were working previously but need changing.
    • Mike Nicewonger
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
        On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 05:06 +0000, teeter9786@... wrote:
        > What is a good homespun or localy available product for the wicks used in 10f headstock drip oilers? I just finished cleaning and repairing my headstock and found that the wicks were mangled and dirty so I yanked them out and checked to make sure oil would flow and everything was good. They were working previously but need changing.

        I use felf bought from MCMaster Carr.

        What is the inside diameter of the oil cap? I might have some I can send
        you.

        --
        Mike N
      • Glenn N
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
          I think of them as filter and flow control. I just use enough felt to cover
          the hole but leave room for oil on top. The oil should last for a good
          eight hours but be gone in 24 hours.
          At least that is what works for me.
          Glenn
          What is a good homespun or localy available product for the wicks used in
          10f headstock drip oilers? I just finished cleaning and repairing my
          headstock and found that the wicks were mangled and dirty so I yanked them
          out and checked to make sure oil would flow and everything was good. They
          were working previously but need changing.

          The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
          http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
          Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
          mailto://elson@...! Groups Links
        • teeter9786@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
            Thanks mike that is very generous of you. The inside diameter at the top of the cups is 1/2".I will email my address to you.
            Thanks again.

            Chris

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
              teeter9786@... wrote:
              > What is a good homespun or localy available product for the wicks used in 10f headstock drip oilers? I just finished cleaning and repairing my headstock and found that the wicks were mangled and dirty so I yanked them out and checked to make sure oil would flow and everything was good. They were working previously but need changing.

              Cotton athletic shoe laces seem to work well.