Re: [atlas_craftsman] collets

  • Scott Henion
    Message 1 of 50 , Dec 5, 2010
      On 12/5/2010 3:28 PM, Warren D. wrote:
      > I don't have any collets for my 101.28890. I've seen MT3 and ERO4 mentioned. Do this fit in the chuck and are they the right ones for my lathe? Are they expensive?
      > Thanks
      > Warren

      Nothing fits your chuck, they fit the spindle ;)

      The Craftsman lathes have a spindle with a MT3 taper. You can get MT3
      collets or an adapter that will hold ERxx colletes (ER32 or ER40.) Both
      would need a draw bar to hold the collets or adapter in the spindle.

      The spindle has a 1-1/2", 8TPI spindle. You can buy or make an adapter
      for ERxx collets. This is a better option as you can pass work through
      the spindle. Here is the one I made:

      http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman-12x36/er40.shtml

      The first picture is an MT3 to ER40 adapter. ER40 will hold up to 1",
      ER32 up to 3/4". The rest of the page is how I made an ER40 chuck. Not
      that hard to do.

      --

      Scott G. Henion
      http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
    • none
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 29, 2012
        True the 2MT collets don't have a through hole for material... only for a 3/8 inch threaded drawbar (some have a tang). That doesn't preclude one from boring the threaded portion of the collet away (with carbide likely) then using a home-machined 1 inch 10 or 8 TPI spindle cap w/ a .5" hole to draw those modified 2MT's into the 618 lathe mainshaft.

        A .5 inch diameter steel rod can reach through the headstock back to eject the work and collet. Simple and cheap...

        Gary in AZ