Re: [atlas_craftsman] collets

  • Scott Henion
    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 5, 2010
      On 12/5/2010 3:28 PM, Warren D. wrote:
      > I don't have any collets for my 101.28890. I've seen MT3 and ERO4 mentioned. Do this fit in the chuck and are they the right ones for my lathe? Are they expensive?
      > Thanks
      > Warren

      Nothing fits your chuck, they fit the spindle ;)

      The Craftsman lathes have a spindle with a MT3 taper. You can get MT3
      collets or an adapter that will hold ERxx colletes (ER32 or ER40.) Both
      would need a draw bar to hold the collets or adapter in the spindle.

      The spindle has a 1-1/2", 8TPI spindle. You can buy or make an adapter
      for ERxx collets. This is a better option as you can pass work through
      the spindle. Here is the one I made:

      http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman-12x36/er40.shtml

      The first picture is an MT3 to ER40 adapter. ER40 will hold up to 1",
      ER32 up to 3/4". The rest of the page is how I made an ER40 chuck. Not
      that hard to do.

      --

      Scott G. Henion
      http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
    • nonparadigm
      Message 51 of 51 , Jan 6, 2016

        Need some guidance regarding collets, currently using 1’’ full grip series Enco collets and would like to get more collets to handle different size tooling. Having trouble finding 1’’ full grip collets and wondering if ER25 collets are the same? If not is there another collet family that would work? I have the feeling 1’’ full grip collets maybe a stand alone.

        Thanks in advance

        Dennis