Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Old Craftsman Lathe - Mine for the Asking

  • jerdal@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 30, 2010
      yep.....

      Just finishing up a single phase VFD for a special military product (had to
      fit a certain space) driving a PFC motor...... Standard variable speed
      unit is not "that" difficult.......

      if you want all the bells and whistles, that gets a little more troublesome.
      if you want advanced 3phase sensorless vector, that is a major project, and
      unless you are a real DSP whiz, fugettabouttit.

      JT
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2010
        Grab that lathe!

        As a newbie to a newbie, I suggest you get a 1/3 or 1/2 HP single phase
        motor, preferably with some appropriate pulley already in place. As someone
        else asserted, a used motor may well be fine. Preferably power it up before
        you buy it, but I've bought used motors for $5-$10, and have seldom been
        disappointed.

        I don't know that model lathe. On my old Atlas, the motor hangs out back,
        so advice not to get an open frame motor is good for me. However, the lathe
        in the photo seems to show an enclosure for the motor. If the motor is out
        of range of grease and chips, an open frame might be fine. And washing
        machine motors are dirt cheap.

        You probably already know that you can't run a 3-phase unless you're wired
        for it, which most home shops are not, and it's not cheap to bring in
        3-phase power if you don't have it already. 3-phase motors, I understand,
        are noted mostly for delivering high torque and electrical efficiency in a
        relatively small package. You don't necessarily need that.

        If you use a higher-HP motor, you'll have a higher torque. If you need high
        torque, you need it, but I strongly suggest you go with low torque until you
        know -- you can always change out the motor later. You're less likely to do
        damage to your work, your lathe and yourself with a low torque machine. I
        can stop the rotation of my lathe chuck by hand, mainly due to belt
        slippage, and I wouldn't have it any other way -- too much chance for an
        inexperienced person like me to get injured otherwise.

        And while a VFD is sexy and no doubt useful and convenient, you certainly
        don't need it to get started.

        So, get the lathe, put a cheap used motor on it, and start learning!

        On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM, <jerdal@...> wrote:

        > yep.....
        >
        > Just finishing up a single phase VFD for a special military product (had to
        >
        > fit a certain space) driving a PFC motor...... Standard variable speed
        > unit is not "that" difficult.......
        >
        > if you want all the bells and whistles, that gets a little more
        > troublesome.
        > if you want advanced 3phase sensorless vector, that is a major project, and
        >
        > unless you are a real DSP whiz, fugettabouttit.
        >
        > JT

        NJ

      • Bruce Morton
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2010
          i have a Craftsman Atlas 101.07403 lathe and i've somehow broken the feed screw bearing.
          this part broke at the pot metal...it looks like under quite a lot of side torque.
          is this part designed to break away under pressure?
          what should i now check out on my lathe so i dont break the new one?
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2010
            On 12/1/2010 12:28 PM, Bruce Morton wrote:
            > i have a Craftsman Atlas 101.07403 lathe and i've somehow broken the feed screw bearing.
            > this part broke at the pot metal...it looks like under quite a lot of side torque.
            > is this part designed to break away under pressure?
            > what should i now check out on my lathe so i dont break the new one?

            Usually running the carriage up against the chuck.

            They are available on ebay.

            --

            ------------------------------------
            Scott G. Henion
            Craftsman 12x36 lathe:
            http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
            ------------------------------------
          • David Beierl
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2010
              At 12:28 PM 12/1/2010, Bruce Morton wrote:
              >is this part designed to break away under pressure?

              Yes, it's a sacrificial part.

              Yours,
              David

              --
              David Beierl -- Providence RI USA
              Atlas 618 6"/3" lathe ca. 1941, shiny-new Taig mill.
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2010
                Di I understandf that you can debug / fix VFD's?

                If yes, I have a Minarc 115 VAC in 220 VAC 3 phase out that has
                a problem. It blows fuses when turned on. Must be a short, but I don't
                know how to find / fix it.

                Is this something you could fix?

                Let me know.

                lance