Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Tailstock ram locking screw problem - 101.28940 12 x 36

  • Scott Henion
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
      On 11/4/2010 12:36 AM, Bill N wrote:
      > Since the top of my screw is messed up, I'll pick up an ordinary one with the same threads for 10 or 15 cents, spend a few minutes dressing it up with my file and I'll have SAVED about $32. At this rate I'll have this lathe paying for itself in no time ...... RIGHT?

      Mine is a real long Allen head screw. Seems to work fine (I did not make
      it.) I'll probably make it shorter someday as it does look funny and I
      bet it will get in the way someday.

      As for paying for itself, mine is still costing me ;) Not in parts but
      in tooling. Seems i always want something to add. After over a year, I
      don't have anything on my wish list.

      It has been saving me money otherwise as I can make things faster than
      driving all around town looking for them or ordering online.

      --

      ------------------------------------
      Scott G. Henion
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
        Bill N wrote:
        > Thanks Jon. I had initially assUmeD that the groove in the bottom of the ram stopped short of the back end so it wouldn't fall out, but then after reading your msg, I realized if the groove went all the way through, that after unscrewing the handwheel end all the way, I COULD pull the ram out over the screw. Sure enough it worked. Even though the tip of the screw is ground to have two flat sides, its still wider than the width of the groove, so you can NOT unscrew it until you have taken the ram out. The locknut on the screw is only there to lock it in place so the flats on the screw tip stay aligned with the groove to minimize wear.
        >
        > Since the top of my screw is messed up, I'll pick up an ordinary one with the same threads for 10 or 15 cents, spend a few minutes dressing it up with my file and I'll have SAVED about $32. At this rate I'll have this lathe paying for itself in no time ...... RIGHT?

        I'm not sure that Atlas made the part this way, so I'm guessing that
        maybe they went up a thread size after damaging the threads in the
        casting, and then flatting the screw was a good idea. $32 for this
        screw is pretty outrageous. I'll bet they don't sell a lot of them as
        almost anybody would just make it themselves.

        Jon
      • David Beierl
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
          At 12:25 AM 11/4/2010 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
          >I'm not sure that Atlas made the part this way, so I'm guessing that
          >maybe they went up a thread size after damaging the threads in the

          I'll have to check, but my recollection is that my 618 is made this
          way. It makes sense to me, as it gives a large bearing surface on
          the ram compared to a round pin.

          Yours,
          David

          --
          David Beierl -- Providence RI USA
          Atlas 618 6"/3" lathe ca. 1941, shiny-new Taig mill.
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
            On Wednesday 03 November 2010 22:36:10 Bill N wrote:

            > Since the top of my screw is messed up, I'll pick up an ordinary one with
            > the same threads for 10 or 15 cents, spend a few minutes dressing it up
            > with my file and I'll have SAVED about $32. At this rate I'll have this
            > lathe paying for itself in no time ...... RIGHT?

            You're running the calculation the wrong way - the way I call it the cost of
            the lathe is sunk into the very first project and all subsequent projects are
            profit.

            I've got a pair of $1000 bolts holding down a toilet, myself.
          • L. Garlinghouse
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
              Yesss!! Yessss!!

              I like the KepplerMachineToolAmortizationMethod [KMTAM] and have already memo'd the accounting department here at Cooter Neck Forge and Machine Shop to switch to that method starting next quarter.

              Obviously you have spent a lot of time justifying cost savings in industry and perfecting the nuances of, as Dr. Deming called it, "managing by visible figures only."

              Later,
              L.H. Garlinghouse, President for Life
              Cooter Neck Forge and Machine Shop
              Arkansas US

              On Wednesday 03 November 2010 22:36:10 Bill N wrote:

              > Since the top of my screw is messed up, I'll pick up an ordinary one with
              > the same threads for 10 or 15 cents, spend a few minutes dressing it up
              > with my file and I'll have SAVED about $32. At this rate I'll have this
              > lathe paying for itself in no time ...... RIGHT?

              You're running the calculation the wrong way - the way I call it the cost of
              the lathe is sunk into the very first project and all subsequent projects are
              profit.

              I've got a pair of $1000 bolts holding down a toilet, myself.

            • Glenn N
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
                All thye ram key screws I have seen have the flats on them. This gives more
                surface area for the keyway to ride onand helps to keep it from getting
                buggered up on a heafy drilling job. When the ram gets difficult to move in
                and out it is usually because the keyway has been hammered by the screw and
                has a ridge built up along it's edges. If you drawfile the top edges of the
                slot the ram will fit properly again and slide in the bore very nicely.
                Removing the small amount of metal does not change the ram position in the
                bore as it is a small tangential section of a circle. If the ram is tight
                in the bore it is hard on the threads and a PITA to work with :)

                Glenn

                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

                > Bill Knight wrote:
                > > I'm a new member that picked up a Craftsman 12 x 36 that's been sitting
                > > around for the better part of the last 25 years. Its in pretty fair
                > > shape as far as wear goes, but its very dirty and stiff. I'm not going
                > > through a complete rebuild at this point, just giving it a good cleaning
                > > and checking it out.
                > >
                > > I need some specs for a locking screw. Its the screw under the upper
                > > front of the tailstock that engages with the groove in the tailstock ram
                > > and keeps it from spinning as you turn the handle to run the ram out. I
                > > think it also keeps you from pushing the ram all the way out.
                > >
                > I think you CAN take the ram all the way out. This screw may have been
                > made in such a way that it can't be turned when the ram is
                > in. When the screw threads on the handwheel run out, you will have to
                > pull the ram the rest of the way out.
                >
                > Jon

                The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
                http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
                mailto://elson@...! Groups Links