Re: [atlas_craftsman] Tool Rest for Wood Turning on a 101.27440 Lathe.

  • David Beierl
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 31, 2010
      At 02:43 PM 10/31/2010 +0000, Richard wrote:
      > I have the original manual but I can't/or it doesn't have any
      > info as to if there is a tool rest for turning wood or how to
      > turn wood on this lathe. Any info would be of great help.
      > Thanks for Reading- Rich

      I understand that Atlas used to have a proper wood-turning rest that
      clamped to the bed. What they sold me ten years ago for my 618,
      though, was a couple of rests that attached to the compound slide and
      I found completely pointless since the carriage and slides were
      always in the way. I fabricated something that worked ok for me --
      I'll take a picture of it. Wasn't hard to make.

      Yours,
      David

      --
      David Beierl -- Providence RI USA
      Atlas 618 6"/3" lathe ca. 1941, shiny-new Taig mill.
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 1, 2010
        Please post the pics as soon as it's convenient for you.  I've been toying with the idea for a while, but can't settle on an attachment method.

        Don't annoy the pig.

        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 1, 2010
          At 05:34 AM 11/1/2010 -0700, Jacjie wrote:
          >Please post the pics as soon as it's convenient
          >for you. I've been toying with the idea for a
          >while, but can't settle on an attachment method.

          Photos are in the dbeierl album in the group photos.

          Yours,
          David
        • paul_probus
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 1, 2010
            Nice. In the mid '80's my dad made one similar for me when I was in middle school because I found wood turning to be so much fun. The one he made is not too different from what was shown in the photos. Luckily, when my dad gave me the lathe, he still had the wood turning stuff we had bought back then. I had been afraid after the few moves he made in the last 15 years that they had been lost.

            I can post photos of the tool rest and tool rest holder if you would like. My one recommendation is that you should look at the 3rd party tool rests that are commercially available and make a reciever in the tool rest holder that fits, I believe most of the full sized lathes use 1" diameter posts on the toolrests:

            http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Tool_Rests___Robust_Comfort_Tool_Rest___robust_tool_rest?Args=

            That way, if you find you want/need a specialty toolrest you have the option to make it or buy it.

            The other disadvantage of the one my dad made and the one in the photos is that there is no 1/4 turn tighten/loosen for either setting the tool rest height or moving the tool rest in and out and since I have been using my Craftsman lathe for penturning, I can't get the tool rest as close in as I need it to be. I plan to see if I can modify a full size wood lathe tool rest holder (probably from Grizzly since they are good about selling parts) to work with the Craftsman metal lathe. But that is on my future ToDo list.

            Paul

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, David Beierl <dbeierl@...> wrote:

            > At 05:34 AM 11/1/2010 -0700, Jacjie wrote:
            > >Please post the pics as soon as it's convenient
            > >for you. I've been toying with the idea for a
            > >while, but can't settle on an attachment method.
            >
            > Photos are in the dbeierl album in the group photos.
            >
            > Yours,
            > David

          • David Beierl
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 1, 2010
              At 02:38 AM 11/2/2010 +0000, paul_probus wrote:
              >I can post photos of the tool rest and tool rest holder if you would
              >like. My one recommendation is that you should look at the 3rd
              >party tool rests that are commercially available and make a reciever
              >in the tool rest holder that fits, I believe most of the full sized
              >lathes use 1" diameter posts on the toolrests:

              When I get to be a good enough turner and/or do enough turning that
              it matters, I will...

              I hope by then I won't be using the 618 to do it with, that's for metal.

              :-)
            • paul_probus
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                David,

                My recommendations were actually directed toward the OP, not you. I figured you already have something that works well for you.

                I agree that a metal lathe is not an ideal woodturning machine especially for penturning, however, I do not yet have a 4 jaw for my HF mini wood lathe, so I have to do some turning on the Craftsman metal lathe, although the bulk of the penmaking I can do with the mini.

                Paul

                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, David Beierl <dbeierl@...> wrote:

                > At 02:38 AM 11/2/2010 +0000, paul_probus wrote:
                > >I can post photos of the tool rest and tool rest holder if you would
                > >like. My one recommendation is that you should look at the 3rd
                > >party tool rests that are commercially available and make a reciever
                > >in the tool rest holder that fits, I believe most of the full sized
                > >lathes use 1" diameter posts on the toolrests:
                >
                > When I get to be a good enough turner and/or do enough turning that
                > it matters, I will...
                >
                > I hope by then I won't be using the 618 to do it with, that's for metal.
                >
                > :-)

              • David Beierl
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                  At 04:22 PM 11/2/2010 +0000, paul_probus wrote:
                  >I agree that a metal lathe is not an ideal woodturning machine
                  >especially for penturning, however, I do not yet have a 4 jaw for my
                  >HF mini wood lathe, so I have to do some turning on the Craftsman
                  >metal lathe, although the bulk of the penmaking I can do with the mini.

                  What do you need the jaws for? Rounding off the blanks to fit a
                  collet? I take it they're too small for a drive center? Just
                  curious...pen making is a black art to me.

                  Yrs,
                • Richard Schaal
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                    Wasn't there a consensus a few years back that turning wood on a metal lathe wasn't a good thing to do?  Something about the moisture in the wood and difficulty in cleaning up the sawdust in face of the oil on the lathe.??

                    - Richard

                    Nice. In the mid '80's my dad made one similar for me when I was in middle school because I found wood turning to be so much fun. The one he made is not too different from what was shown in the photos. Luckily, when my dad gave me the lathe, he still had the wood turning stuff we had bought back then. I had been afraid after the few moves he made in the last 15 years that they had been lost.

                    I can post photos of the tool rest and tool rest holder if you would like. My one recommendation is that you should look at the 3rd party tool rests that are commercially available and make a reciever in the tool rest holder that fits, I believe most of the full sized lathes use 1" diameter posts on the toolrests:

                    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Tool_Rests___Robust_Comfort_Tool_Rest___robust_tool_rest?Args=

                    That way, if you find you want/need a specialty toolrest you have the option to make it or buy it.

                    The other disadvantage of the one my dad made and the one in the photos is that there is no 1/4 turn tighten/loosen for either setting the tool rest height or moving the tool rest in and out and since I have been using my Craftsman lathe for penturning, I can't get the tool rest as close in as I need it to be. I plan to see if I can modify a full size wood lathe tool rest holder (probably from Grizzly since they are good about selling parts) to work with the Craftsman metal lathe. But that is on my future ToDo list.

                    Paul

                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, David Beierl <dbeierl@...> wrote:

                    > At 05:34 AM 11/1/2010 -0700, Jacjie wrote:

                    > >Please post the pics as soon as it's convenient

                    > >for you. I've been toying with the idea for a

                    > >while, but can't settle on an attachment method.

                    > Photos are in the dbeierl album in the group photos.

                    > Yours,

                    > David

                  • William Longyard
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                      I just heard from the cashier at the local HF store that HF, starting next week, will no longer honor 20% off coupons on tool boxes, hydraulic jacks, or air compressors. You've got until the weekend if you're in the market and have a coupon.

                      Bill Longyard

                    • David Beierl
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                        At 02:34 PM 11/2/2010 -0700, Richard Schaal wrote:
                        >Wasn't there a consensus a few years back that
                        >turning wood on a metal lathe wasn't a good
                        >thing to do? Something about the moisture in
                        >the wood and difficulty in cleaning up the
                        >sawdust in face of the oil on the lathe.??

                        A "proper" wood lathe is easier to work with and
                        easier to keep clean, and turning wood on a
                        machinist's lathe as you say requires careful attention to cleanup.

                        But you've got a piece of wood to turn, and no
                        wood lathe. The machinist's lathe is certainly a
                        lot better than nothing, and Atlas thought enough
                        of it to put to put a chapter in their manual telling you how to do it.

                        Yours,
                        David

                        --
                        David Beierl -- Providence RI USA
                        Atlas 618 6"/3" lathe ca. 1941, shiny-new Taig mill.
                      • BRIAN GLACKIN
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                          If your wanting to do some wood turning, watch craiglist. You can usually
                          pick up a nice older woodlathe for $30-60 with a motor and chisels. Nice
                          way to avoid dirtying up your metal machine.

                          Look in the tools section but also use the search function.

                          Brian

                          On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM, David Beierl <dbeierl@...> wrote:

                          > At 02:34 PM 11/2/2010 -0700, Richard Schaal wrote:
                          > >Wasn't there a consensus a few years back that
                          > >turning wood on a metal lathe wasn't a good
                          > >thing to do? Something about the moisture in
                          > >the wood and difficulty in cleaning up the
                          > >sawdust in face of the oil on the lathe.??
                          >
                          > A "proper" wood lathe is easier to work with and
                          > easier to keep clean, and turning wood on a
                          > machinist's lathe as you say requires careful attention to cleanup.
                          >
                          > But you've got a piece of wood to turn, and no
                          > wood lathe. The machinist's lathe is certainly a
                          > lot better than nothing, and Atlas thought enough
                          > of it to put to put a chapter in their manual telling you how to do it.
                          >
                          > Yours,
                          > David
                          >
                          > --
                          > David Beierl -- Providence RI USA
                          > Atlas 618 6"/3" lathe ca. 1941, shiny-new Taig mill.

                          > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
                          > http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                          > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto:
                          > //elson@...! Groups Links

                        • paul_probus
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                            No actually for drilling the blanks. I find it much easier and accurate to drill them on the lathe. Also, since I am experimenting with turning the pen caps, as they're called, for the European style pens (the kits come with a metal one, it is what holds the clip on) in order to have that blend with the pen that has to be done in a chuck.

                            Once the hole is drilled in a pen blank, a brass tube is glued in and from there I use a pen mandrel on my HF lathe to turn the pen blanks to shape.

                            Since you are not too familiar with pen turning, if you are having a hard time understanding/picturing what I am talking about, check out www.woodcraft.com, they have pen kits, mandrels and instructions on how to make the different pens they carry. Its a neat little hobby, what I like about it is that it can be done fairly quickly, like a nice project you can do in-between projects.

                            Paul

                            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, David Beierl <dbeierl@...> wrote:

                            > At 04:22 PM 11/2/2010 +0000, paul_probus wrote:
                            > >I agree that a metal lathe is not an ideal woodturning machine
                            > >especially for penturning, however, I do not yet have a 4 jaw for my
                            > >HF mini wood lathe, so I have to do some turning on the Craftsman
                            > >metal lathe, although the bulk of the penmaking I can do with the mini.
                            >
                            > What do you need the jaws for? Rounding off the blanks to fit a
                            > collet? I take it they're too small for a drive center? Just
                            > curious...pen making is a black art to me.
                            >
                            > Yrs,

                          • Gregg
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                              I agree with Brian, Craigslist is full of wood lathes for next to nothing
                              and I have seen some real nice ones too!

                              Gregg

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                                It definitely is harder to clean with all the saw dust/chips and oil. There is also the fact that a metal lathe is meant to turn slower than a wood lathe, so removing wood at slower than optimum speeds results in more tearout. Since my lathe has the plain bearings, however, I will not be attempting to speed it up.

                                I am lucky that, now, I have the small wood lathe that I can use for the bulk of my wood turning. Once I get the 4 jaw wood lathe chuck for my mini, I will very likely rarely use the Craftsman for woodturning. Only when it comes to pieces larger than what fits on the mini and if I find that I do that more than I anticipate, then I will obtain a larger wood lathe.

                                However, not everyone has the space for 2 lathes. If I were in that situation, then the wood lathe would definitely go or not have been bought in the first place. I'd rather deal with the more difficult cleaning and slower than optimum turning speed and have the much more robust features of a metal lathe than the wood lathe. I am guessing that others feel that way, too (i.e. the OP).

                                Paul

                                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Richard Schaal <rschaal_95135@...> wrote:

                                > Wasn't there a consensus a few years back that turning wood on a metal lathe wasn't a good thing to do?  Something about the moisture in the wood and difficulty in cleaning up the sawdust in face of the oil on the lathe.??
                                >
                                > - Richard

                              • paul_probus
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                                  I have checked from time to time and they are either crappy Crapsman wood lathes or the crappy square tube HF lathes, at least in my area. The only times I see some nice Delta's or other good lathes, they want more than I would pay for a used wood lathe or I have to make a 5 hour trip or longer to get the good equipment, which most of the time is not that great of a deal.

                                  But of course YMMV. I find Craigslist to be a disappointment 99% of the time.

                                  Paul

                                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <W5IDX@...> wrote:

                                  > I agree with Brian, Craigslist is full of wood lathes for next to nothing
                                  > and I have seen some real nice ones too!
                                  >
                                  > Gregg
                                  >

                                  > _____

                                • David Beierl
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                                    At 01:01 AM 11/3/2010 +0000, paul_probus wrote:
                                    >slower than optimum turning speed

                                    The 618 is better that way, turns up just over 3,000 rpm.

                                    Yrs,
                                  • D. Heimer
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 2, 2010
                                      Yo' Guys,
                                      I've also seen some good deals on wood lathes and have been tempted to purchase one. The prob is that I really just don't have the room for another large piece of equipment. So I compromise by occasionally turning wood on my metal lathe. WTH, it ain't perfect, but it works.
                                      Regardz, Dave H.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 3, 2010
                                        The key to craigslist is patience and knowing what is good and not so good.
                                        I have seen several older model deltas and early "crapsman" which are all
                                        cast iron with iron ways going for less than scrap value. I see nice old
                                        walker turners going at RB prices as well. Look at picture OWWM.com in the
                                        manufacturer section for details. Plenty of posters show the good bad and
                                        ugly of what to watch form.

                                        If your doing small turnings, there are several tabletop models that can
                                        easily be had, mounted onto a plate, clamped to the workbench and used.
                                        When done, unbolt and shelve away.

                                      • xlch58@swbell.net
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 3, 2010
                                          On 11/3/2010 7:02 AM, BRIAN GLACKIN wrote:
                                          > The key to craigslist is patience and knowing what is good and not so good.
                                          > I have seen several older model deltas and early "crapsman" which are all
                                          > cast iron with iron ways going for less than scrap value. I see nice old
                                          > walker turners going at RB prices as well. Look at picture OWWM.com in the
                                          > manufacturer section for details. Plenty of posters show the good bad and
                                          > ugly of what to watch form.
                                          >
                                          > If your doing small turnings, there are several tabletop models that can
                                          > easily be had, mounted onto a plate, clamped to the workbench and used.
                                          > When done, unbolt and shelve away.

                                          Anyone with a metal lathe should be capable of putting together a small
                                          wood lathe.

                                          Charles
                                        • paul_probus
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 3, 2010
                                            Just to clarify, the earlier cast iron Craftsman models do not get the "crapsman" label, by me, but I have only ever seen them on Ebay or, as I said, several hours drive when I open the search up further on Search Tempest. The Crapsman lathes I am talking about the '80's/'90's round bed models and others sold by Sears as "Craftsman" that I have seen that do not look to be rigid enough even for pen turning, those are what appear to show up on C-list most often.

                                            Paul

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 3, 2010
                                              Yes, but time is worth something, too, so I can understand why someone would rather not build vs. buy. A few years ago Shop Notes had a very good design that could easily be scaled up and, unlike the build up article (SN is a WW magazine, so they were limited to using common hardware, though they could have used replacement spindle and tailstock barrel from Griz. but that would have driven up the cost), with a metal lathe someone could modify the plans based and use a homemade 1"-8 tpi/MT#2 spindle and a MT#2 bored tailstock barrel.

                                              Paul

                                              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, xlch58@... wrote:

                                              > On 11/3/2010 7:02 AM, BRIAN GLACKIN wrote:
                                              > > The key to craigslist is patience and knowing what is good and not so good.
                                              > > I have seen several older model deltas and early "crapsman" which are all
                                              > > cast iron with iron ways going for less than scrap value. I see nice old
                                              > > walker turners going at RB prices as well. Look at picture OWWM.com in the
                                              > > manufacturer section for details. Plenty of posters show the good bad and
                                              > > ugly of what to watch form.
                                              > >
                                              > > If your doing small turnings, there are several tabletop models that can
                                              > > easily be had, mounted onto a plate, clamped to the workbench and used.
                                              > > When done, unbolt and shelve away.
                                              > >
                                              > Anyone with a metal lathe should be capable of putting together a small
                                              > wood lathe.
                                              >
                                              > Charles

                                            • Gregg
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 3, 2010
                                                Here is 1,200.00 worth of Jet setup for 350.00
                                                http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/2038665760.html
                                                Of course this is a few miles from me!
                                                Gregg

                                                There are a few Delta's & Smithy's as well. It all regional thou!
                                                Good Luck
                                                 "G"

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 3, 2010
                                                  This is probably a 1960's model, but I see people asking $50 for these all
                                                  the time with few takers. Usually they have chisels and attachments to
                                                  boot.

                                                  http://allentown.craigslist.org/tls/2039980429.html

                                                  Also on OWWM.org, register and check out the BYOD (Bring out your dead)
                                                  section. You could post a desired item and your offering price. and see
                                                  what bites. In addition, if you live in an out of the way area, you can get
                                                  the item "ruckered" to your residence for very little if your not in too big
                                                  of a hurry.

                                                • David Beierl
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 3, 2010
                                                    At 02:38 AM 11/2/2010 +0000, paul_probus wrote:
                                                    >Nice. In the mid '80's my dad made one similar for me when I was in
                                                    >middle school because I found wood turning to be so much fun. The
                                                    >one he made is not too different from what was shown in the
                                                    >photos. Luckily, when my dad gave me the lathe, he still had the
                                                    >wood turning stuff we had bought back then. I had been afraid after
                                                    >the few moves he made in the last 15 years that they had been lost.

                                                    I just mounted the thing and used it a little, and was immediately
                                                    reminded of the big fault in it -- that cap screw sticking up in the
                                                    middle. It simply has to go.

                                                    I think I will make up a round piece that can be inserted in the
                                                    square supporting tube and spot-welded through a hole on each side of
                                                    the tube, and have the cap screw seat on that so its top is flush
                                                    with or just below the surface of the rest.

                                                    Yours,
                                                    David

                                                    --
                                                    David Beierl -- Providence RI USA
                                                    Atlas 618 6"/3" lathe ca. 1941, shiny-new Taig mill.
                                                  • Clem Wixted
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 4, 2010
                                                      David,

                                                      Turn the angle iron around so the cap screw head is under the piece being
                                                      turned.

                                                      If you modify the tool post you might want to make it so you can adjust the
                                                      height so you tool can be on center no matter what size it is.

                                                      Clem

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Nov 4, 2010
                                                        On 11/3/2010 11:25 AM, paul_probus wrote:
                                                        > Yes, but time is worth something, too, so I can understand why someone would rather not build vs. buy. A few years ago Shop Notes had a very good design that could easily be scaled up and, unlike the build up article (SN is a WW magazine, so they were limited to using common hardware, though they could have used replacement spindle and tailstock barrel from Griz. but that would have driven up the cost), with a metal lathe someone could modify the plans based and use a homemade 1"-8 tpi/MT#2 spindle and a MT#2 bored tailstock barrel.
                                                        >
                                                        > Paul
                                                        If you put that sort of value on your time, why would you waste it in a
                                                        home shop?

                                                        Charles