half nut

  • Conrad Falk
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010
      is there one or two half nuts?

    • Bill Stietenroth
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010
        There is one pair of half nuts that make a whole nut when they are closed around the lead screw.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010
          Then again, a lot of folks think we're all half nuts for spending so much time with these machines.......

          -dan

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2010
            Sorry to hijack this subject, but I just noticed the really clever
            "half nut" in Gingery's plans for a metal lathe.  For those of you who
            don't have these plans, envision a coupling nut with a shaft welded on
            at the center of one face, perpendicular to the threaded bore.  Now
            chop away the center to at least the OD of the threads .  Next cut
            down the axis of the threads from each end, in a plane parallel to the
            shaft. Cut away the upper portion of the threads on one side of the
            shaft, and the lower side on the other. Hence, what you have is a
            half nut on each side of a rotational shaft, but the two half nuts are
            not opposite each other. Rotate this assembly one way and it engages
            the lead screw. Rotate it the other and it disengages. Simple and
            neat. I don't know how well it works in practice.

            On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Conrad Falk <conrade333@...> wrote:

            > is there one or two half nuts?

            Bruce
            NJ
          • James Irwin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2010
              Sounds like a ³half nuts² idea to me!
              Clever indeed!

              Jim I

            • jerdal@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2010
                You have just described the half nuts on the Craftsman "109" lathe, made by
                "AA products" back in the 1940's (and later).

                I had a Craftsman badged 109.20630, and that is precisely how they worked.
                Ther was a space of 3 or 4 inches between the two halves, and the lever
                rotated them into and out of mesh with the screw.

                JT