Darn gear broke

  • Rods machine shop and suzuki repair
    Message 1 of 36 , May 29 3:54 PM
      Well was turning something on my 12 inch craftsman lathe and the transverse gear broke . took the carriage off lathe and found someone had tried to fix the gear housing before that holds the gears what a crappy aluminum weld job .lol saw a piece of the weld came loose and jammed the gears breaking the small 12 tooth gear that runs on the long feed shaft on the side of lathe. I was going to tig weld it but instead will make the gear holding housing out of a block of steel or from a new block of aluminum. never did like cast aluminum since not as strong as made from a machined block of aluminum.
    • James Irwin
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 1, 2010
        Well...if they really are 6061, then heat treating them is an easy home
        project.
        (Don¹t place any significant money on the alloy, tho¹)
        First you gotta solution treat them. That means getting them up to solution
        temp, even if briefly, then quench quickly in cold water.
        Then age them at various times and temperature settings in your home oven.
        Higher temps for shorter times or lower temps for longer times.

        All the particulars are available online. It¹s a well studied/reported
        process. Doors and windows depend on this!

        Jim I