Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: new member w/101-07403 lathe

  • Dan Buchanan
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 30, 2010
      My sentiments, exactly!

      --- On Fri, 4/30/10, Frank Beatty <beatty.frank@...> wrote:

      From: Frank Beatty <beatty.frank@...>
      Subject: Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: new member w/101-07403 lathe
      To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, April 30, 2010, 6:53 PM

      Hey Bill, Sounds like he ought to drop the meds completely. More fun without them.

      ____________ _________ _________ __
      From: Dan Buchanan <db45acp@yahoo. com>
      To: atlas_craftsman@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:24:55 -0700 (PDT)

      Hello Frank.
      My name is Dan.
      This is my story.
      I am a Lathoholic, swarf maker and machine head.
      Lathes are my particular persuasion.
      I have just achieved the humble ranking of Tinkerer, par excellence.
      I am working toward becoming a scholar and virtuoso of fine lathery.

      Welcome, to an amazing resource of indoctrination for beginners, perpetual students of lathe theory, co-dependent and chronic users, as well as Grand Masters of the great and mighty craft.
      There have been genuine theraputic results sought for, and achieved herein.
      I speak from personal experience.

      If you're tired now, wait until the lathe bug bites you, (hopefully not).

      You will slowly begin to realize, experience and appreciate the sculptured,
      working, works of art they are.
      You might find yourself up early, or the middle of the night, going to the shop just to see it. Cleaning it before breakfast, wiping it down, blowing away any spec of dust that dares to have found its way to her.
      You'll stand back and look at it, taking it all in at once.Your eyes follow the curves of the smooth, painted surfaces to the points where they meet at the polished and gleaming bedrails.
      You see the glint and sparkle in the bright, chrome plating of her handwheels, and curvaceous shapely handles.
      Yes. Those handles.
      No other lathe has handles that fit your hands and fingers like these lathes.
      They just ..."fit".
      They turn so smooth and concentric and they are true to you.
      Your lathe will be Loyal. Forgiving.
      Willing to give you better than you hope to deserve, if you will just treat 'em right.
      It''ll be as high on your list of loves as your favorite gun, horse or dog.

      Or computer. Another bad habit.

      Anyway, there's some great stuff here and friendly, gentlemanly folk very willing to help.
      I have not witnessed an over-inflated ego's (other than my own).
      And you won't have to ever ask if it's OK to ask a stupid question, the answer is NO.
      Because I already did it.

      And so, here I lurk, the unofficial group jester.

      -Dan

      Message 2 of 20 , May 1 9:15 AM
        Amen, to the bug. When you get it you’ve got it for life. It takes one to
        know one and your description was right on!

        _____

        ________________________________
        I am a Lathoholic, swarf maker and machine head.
        Lathes are my particular persuasion.
        I have just achieved the humble ranking of Tinkerer, par excellence.
        I am working toward becoming a scholar and virtuoso of fine lathery.
        Welcome, to an amazing resource of indoctrination for beginners, perpetual
        students of lathe theory, co-dependent and chronic users, as well as Grand
        Masters of the great and mighty craft. Â

        From: beatty.frank <beatty.frank@ <mailto:beatty.frank%40yahoo.com>
        yahoo.com>
        To: atlas_craftsman@ <mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 5:20 PM

        http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/>
        yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/

        The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-
        <http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi>
        systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
        Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
        mailto://elson@ <mailto://elson@...>
        pico-systems.comYahoo! Groups Links

        yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman_projects/

        http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/>
        yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/

        The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-
        <http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi>
        systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
        Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
        mailto://elson@ <mailto://elson@...>
        pico-systems.comYahoo! Groups Links

      • Bruce Morton
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1 9:58 AM
          I'm adrift in the confusing land of collets.

          For my Craftsman 101.07403 lathe I may want to use 5c collets for turning fly rod ferrules. I'll be turning small diameter tubing that requires extreme precision.

          I have a very nice 4 jaw chuck that I have never used..I  always go to the three jaw for work that doesnt have to be re-chucked.

          My question is, could I purchase a square collet block with closer for 5c collets..Im seeing a price of $35 on Amazon...and then "dial in" the closer to dead nuts and just leave it there and make my 4 jaw chuck into a dedicated 5c collet chuck?

          Or am I just completely not understanding how to set up for collets. I'm on a TIGHT budget...I cant be spending hundreds of dollars to "do it right".

          Thanks for everyone's help ...this is a great forum...

          Hey Bill, Sounds like he ought to drop the meds completely. More fun without them.

          ____________ _________ _________ __

          Sorry I took so long to reply. I drive 78 miles to work and then 78 home. I usually just sleep. I do know some, but I don't know about these small lathes. I also need to learn how to improvise. I don't have somebody's tool room to raid anymore. Every journeyman I have ever met has a different way to drill a hole, and I found out you can never drill a hole the same way twice. Thanks for the welcome Garlinghouse.

          --- In atlas_craftsman@ yahoogroups. com, "L. Garlinghouse" <lhghouse@.. .> wrote:

          > Welcome aboard. Doubtful that I can tell you anything you don't already know but I may be able to help you regain some of your lost arrogance.
          >
          > L.H. Garlinghouse
          > Arkansas USA

          Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

        • Michael Fagan
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1 10:30 AM
            The problem with the 5C collet blocks is that the closer is a nut on the
            back of the block. You couldn't change the part without removing it from
            the chuck every single time. Your best bet for your work is probably to
            either use 3C or 3MT collets with a homemade drawbar or drawtube.

            On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 12:58, Bruce Morton <brucemorton@...>wrote:

            > I'm adrift in the confusing land of collets.
            >
            > For my Craftsman 101.07403 lathe I may want to use 5c collets for turning
            > fly rod ferrules. I'll be turning small diameter tubing that requires
            > extreme precision.
            >
            > I have a very nice 4 jaw chuck that I have never used..I always go to the
            > three jaw for work that doesnt have to be re-chucked.
            >
            > My question is, could I purchase a square collet block with closer for 5c
            > collets..Im seeing a price of $35 on Amazon...and then "dial in" the closer
            > to dead nuts and just leave it there and make my 4 jaw chuck into a
            > dedicated 5c collet chuck?
            >
            > Or am I just completely not understanding how to set up for collets. I'm on
            > a TIGHT budget...I cant be spending hundreds of dollars to "do it right".
            >
            > Thanks for everyone's help ...this is a great forum...
            >
            > --- On Fri, 4/30/10, Dan Buchanan <db45acp@... <db45acp%40yahoo.com>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: Dan Buchanan <db45acp@... <db45acp%40yahoo.com>>
            > Subject: Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: new member w/101-07403 lathe
            > To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com <atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Friday, April 30, 2010, 10:04 PM
            >
            > My sentiments, exactly!
            >
            > --- On Fri, 4/30/10, Frank Beatty <beatty.frank@...<beatty.frank%40yahoo.com>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: Frank Beatty <beatty.frank@... <beatty.frank%40yahoo.com>>
            > Subject: Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: new member w/101-07403 lathe
            > To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com <atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Friday, April 30, 2010, 6:53 PM
            >

            > Hey Bill, Sounds like he ought to drop the meds completely. More fun
            > without them.
            >
            > ____________ _________ _________ __

          • PeterH
            Message 5 of 20 , May 1 10:58 AM
              On May 1, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Michael Fagan wrote:

              > The problem with the 5C collet blocks is that the closer is a nut
              > on the
              > back of the block. You couldn't change the part without removing
              > it from
              > the chuck every single time. Your best bet for your work is
              > probably to
              > either use 3C or 3MT collets with a homemade drawbar or drawtube.

              OR ...

              Make a drawbar with a nut on the end, and use the square collet block
              in a 4-jaw as described before. A remivable tommy bar on the opposite
              end for a closer would be appropriate.

              If one had a 6-jaw with an adjust-true feature, then the hex block
              which usually come in the same set of collet blocks could also be
              used in the same way.

              Similarly, if one had a 3-jaw with an adjust-true feature, then the
              hex block which usually come in the same set of collet blocks could
              also be used in the same way.

              As the OP stated he is doing ferrule work, and requires only a
              limited range of sizes, 3MT collets and a simple drawbar might make
              the most sense.

              Or, an un-hardened MT adapter from the spindle to <whatever> and
              bored and finished machined to accept 3C collets.

              Or, an ER-type collet chuck, made using "found" materials for the
              body and a factory nut for the closer.

              The alternatives are almost endless.
            • Glenn N
              Message 6 of 20 , May 1 3:11 PM
                Bruce,
                That sounds like a really wonderful idea to me. There are several collet
                block styles that have a front closing feature that would allow you to use
                the full spindle ID.
                I may just have to try this myself :)
                Glenn

                Message 7 of 20 , May 1 3:44 PM
                  Ooops. The front closing fixtures I was thinking about are a collet vise
                  and don't look like they would be adaptable. I think the holders with the
                  ring in back my be adaptable to a drawbar easily enough though. The lever
                  action closres might be adaptable to a lever through the headstock.. I plan
                  to get a set to see what can be done soon as I can use the blocks on the
                  mill anyway.

                  Glenn

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 1 4:03 PM
                    the vertical 5C collet fixture can be bolted to a faceplate .........the thrded collet closing bar wud need to be replaced by a non thrded tommy bar.......i have one from some years back bought for that purpose, but after fitting 3 jaw chucks that are 1 1/4thou tir, the necessity didnt seem pressing ..i still have a set of 3 AT collets , collecting a lot of dirt, that are sometimes pressed into service when advantageous
                    best wishes
                    docn8as

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 1 6:25 PM
                      Bruce,
                      Dumb question - what is the MAXIMUM size ferrule you going to clamp up? For fly rods, I can't see it going over 1/2"

                      If so, you should be able to pick up a drawtube, adaptor, and the necessary 3AT collets cheap enough (AFAIK, Sobel's is gone, or I would have said to call him - he had piles of them)
                      Getting 3AT collets in 1/16ths is easy - getting the 32nds isn't TOO hard - getting the 64ths gets fun - I'm still missing one or 2 sizes, but then again, I haven't needed them - if I ever DO, you can still order them from Hardinge (and have a heart attack when you get the price - I DID spend for brand new 3/8" and 1/2" collets because most I had seen were beat, and I was doing production work, and it was worth it not to get sprung units (I had found a NICE condition 1/4")

                      73 de KG2V
                    • Bruce Morton
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 1 8:55 PM
                        charlie...thanks for the personal response...im really struggling trying to figure out the best way to go on the collets.

                        fly rod ferrules are rarely over 3/8". precision is key. we size them by 64ths so im planning to make some split bushings to fill in where i either cant or dont want to purchase the proper collet.

                        i dont need pass thru...the ferrules are quite short.

                        i do like the idea of keeping to the "original" style of collet and that seems to be the 3at collet.

                        so...im not sure which way ill go.

                        id do appreciate your help...

                        regards

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 2 8:19 AM
                          The simplest way to go does seem to be keeping to the "original" style of collet, which on my Atlas QC-54 is 3MT rather than 3AT.

                          Although <littlemachineshop.com> does carry 3MT collets, they seem to be offered in increments of 1/16" rather than 1/64". The drawbar for their 3MT collets requires little more than a trip to the local hardware store for a longish 3/8 UNC bolt, fender washers, and a spacer.

                          It is likely - but check first - that you can easily find sets of 3ATs and 3Cs in 1/32" increments, but these require adapters.

                          Perhaps an ER-32 chuck with a 3MT shank would be in order, but the chucks themselves are not cheap.

                          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morton <brucemorton@...> wrote:

                          > charlie...thanks for the personal response...im really struggling trying to figure out the best way to go on the collets.
                          >
                          > fly rod ferrules are rarely over 3/8". precision is key. we size them by 64ths so im planning to make some split bushings to fill in where i either cant or dont want to purchase the proper collet.
                          >
                          > i dont need pass thru...the ferrules are quite short.
                          >
                          > i do like the idea of keeping to the "original" style of collet and that seems to be the 3at collet.
                          >
                          > so...im not sure which way ill go.
                          >
                          > id do appreciate your help...
                          >

                          > regards
                          > bruce

                        • oldstudentmsgt
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3 6:58 AM
                            If you are a member of the 7x12 minilathe group, they have drawings for making your own ER collet chuck. It's drawn for the chinese minilathes, but the mounting could easily be changed for an Atlas.

                            Clint Driggars posted them not too long before he died. He'd appreciate someone else being able to use them.

                            Bill in OKC

                            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "stephen_s_wood" <stephen_s_wood@...> wrote:

                            > The simplest way to go does seem to be keeping to the "original" style of collet, which on my Atlas QC-54 is 3MT rather than 3AT.
                            >
                            > Although <littlemachineshop.com> does carry 3MT collets, they seem to be offered in increments of 1/16" rather than 1/64". The drawbar for their 3MT collets requires little more than a trip to the local hardware store for a longish 3/8 UNC bolt, fender washers, and a spacer.
                            >
                            > It is likely - but check first - that you can easily find sets of 3ATs and 3Cs in 1/32" increments, but these require adapters.
                            >
                            > Perhaps an ER-32 chuck with a 3MT shank would be in order, but the chucks themselves are not cheap.
                            >
                            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morton <brucemorton@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > charlie...thanks for the personal response...im really struggling trying to figure out the best way to go on the collets.
                            > >
                            > > fly rod ferrules are rarely over 3/8". precision is key. we size them by 64ths so im planning to make some split bushings to fill in where i either cant or dont want to purchase the proper collet.
                            > >
                            > > i dont need pass thru...the ferrules are quite short.
                            > >
                            > > i do like the idea of keeping to the "original" style of collet and that seems to be the 3at collet.
                            > >
                            > > so...im not sure which way ill go.
                            > >
                            > > id do appreciate your help...
                            > >

                            > > regards
                            > > bruce

                          • PaulV
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 3 7:34 AM
                              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morton <brucemorton@...> wrote:

                              > I'm adrift in the confusing land of collets.
                              >
                              > For my Craftsman 101.07403 lathe I may want to use 5c collets for turning fly rod ferrules. I'll be turning small diameter tubing that requires extreme precision.
                              >
                              > I have a very nice 4 jaw chuck that I have never used..I  always go to the three jaw for work that doesnt have to be re-chucked.
                              >
                              > My question is, could I purchase a square collet block with closer for 5c collets..Im seeing a price of $35 on Amazon...and then "dial in" the closer to dead nuts and just leave it there and make my 4 jaw chuck into a dedicated 5c collet chuck?
                              >
                              > Or am I just completely not understanding how to set up for collets. I'm on a TIGHT budget...I cant be spending hundreds of dollars to "do it right".
                              >
                              > Thanks for everyone's help ...this is a great forum...

                              I would go one of three ways:

                              1. A 3AT collet adapter that fits in the spindle of your lathe, and home-made draw bar, with a 3AT collet for each size of ferrule you want to make.

                              Here is a 3 AT Adapter for $25: http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=3atnose

                              You can get 3 AT Collets on ebay for about $15 each, or at Victor for $20: http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/productlist.html?subdepartments=3C+and+3AT+Collets:283,282,1324,1329

                              2. Buy a 3 MT collet for each size ferrule you want to make, which will fit directly in your spindle, and make a home-made draw bar. A draw bar for MT collets can just be a threaded rod of the right size. with a round handle and a home-made bushing on the end. The problem with 3MT collets is you have to bang on them pretty good to get them to release out of the spindle, but you can make a brass drift to the apprpriate size for that purpose. 3MT collets are $12 to $14 each, here: http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_category.php?category=874479994

                              or $8 each from CDCO: http://cdcotools.com/

                              3. Buy an inexpensive (el cheapo) ER Collet chuck to fit your spindle, with a set of ER collets. You might have to buy addtional ER collets if you want to make ferrules in diameters other than in the sizes that come with the set. Here is a cheap ($80)ER Collet set: http://www.shars.com/products/view/284/9_Piece_ERType_MT3_Collets_and_Chuck_Set

                              Shars often sells the same products cheaper on ebay. I bought a 3MT ER32 chuck on ebay, and a collet set from Shars, and the accuracy was very good (.0005 TIR). Total investment with 11 collets was about $110.
                            • ezzpete
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 4 5:21 PM
                                check this out:

                                http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3047&category=