Re: [atlas_craftsman] 12 X 36 lathe

  • Scott Henion
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2010
      On 3/31/2010 7:21 PM, Michael Gillette wrote:
      > Its has the change gears and the gears are great they had one of the idler
      > gears wrong they had the thrust washer on the wrong side caught that right
      > quick. I believe I have a good set of gears also got about 10 of the left
      > in a stack there on the bench. Been oiling the heck out of everything it
      > seams just to get it all lubed up.

      Mine looked like it was well oiled. but I found the previous owner had
      missed a few points.

      1. The spindle pulley bearings were worn. Was probably never oiled. The
      set screw in the belt groove is actually an oiling point. Pulley had a
      lot of drag. I oiled the piss out of it to work out the old gunk. Then
      it rattled (ringing sound).

      2. The reverse/forward switch box was mounted right over the left feed
      screw bracket. No way that was oiled.

      I think there is a copy of the oiling points on the files area. Many are
      not obvious. You can probably guarantee some were missed or rarely oiled.

      I replaced the spindle pulley bearings. Very easy to do but getting the
      spindle out was a bit of work.

      There is a guy on ebay that sells synthetic way and spindle oil. Works
      well. Synthetic tends to be a better solvent for gunk, really flushed
      out gunk on mine. It also tends to winck in tight places. Good for
      oiling, but does also mean it tends to work out.

      Spindle and countershaft points get oiled on near every use. Back gear
      every time it is used. Rest every few uses (my uses are usually short.)
      --

      Scott G. Henion