Tool post grinder for a 6" lathe?

  • Daniel Nelson
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hi...I use a high end Dremel tool set up onto a QCTP. Works slick....

      Regards,
      ---------------------
      Daniel J. Nelson
      djn@...
      <:)
    • Elton E. (Tony) Clark
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
        *Consider making your own mount for a Dremel . . prolly wouldn't do for
        production work but totally adequate for home shop operation.*
        **

      • wbhinkle@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
          What is the model #?
          thanks
          bill hinkle
          in Oklahoma

        • borne2fly@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
            I should have mentioned that the lathe is a 101. Well, actually a 618 (?) bed modified to receive a 101 headstock. Yes, I thought about using a Dremel. Any issues with the bearing runout on those things? I'd like to use it to re-align the spindle taper, so accuracy is important.

            As an aside, I got a new spindle from Clausing, and checked it out on the V-blocks. The mounting shoulder was .003" off center, the mounting face had .0015" of wobble, the morse taper was off center by .0016 at around 1/4" in, and the morse taper also showed considerable wobble (not coaxial with the spindle). I would assume that everything but the morse was turned in the same operation, so it's beyond me how the basic mounting surfaces can get so far off. Once installed in the headstock, a dial indicator verified that yes indeed it was as buggered up as the V-blocks showed :) Anyway, it's a bit of a don't-care since it all gets compensated for when the faceplate is mounted and trued. All except the morse taper. That still bugs me, and I want to have a go at fixing it.

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
              Has anyone used a pencil air grinder as a tool post grinder? Sure, they need a compressor, but they seem like the right size & weight for the little Atlas, and they'd be really easy to bolt up.

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, borne2fly@... wrote:

              > I should have mentioned that the lathe is a 101. Well, actually a 618 (?) bed modified to receive a 101 headstock. Yes, I thought about using a Dremel. Any issues with the bearing runout on those things? I'd like to use it to re-align the spindle taper, so accuracy is important.
              >
              > As an aside, I got a new spindle from Clausing, and checked it out on the V-blocks. The mounting shoulder was .003" off center, the mounting face had .0015" of wobble, the morse taper was off center by .0016 at around 1/4" in, and the morse taper also showed considerable wobble (not coaxial with the spindle). I would assume that everything but the morse was turned in the same operation, so it's beyond me how the basic mounting surfaces can get so far off. Once installed in the headstock, a dial indicator verified that yes indeed it was as buggered up as the V-blocks showed :) Anyway, it's a bit of a don't-care since it all gets compensated for when the faceplate is mounted and trued. All except the morse taper. That still bugs me, and I want to have a go at fixing it.
              >

              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, wbhinkle@ wrote:
              > >
              > > What is the model #?
              > > thanks
              > > bill hinkle
              > > in Oklahoma
              > >

              > > In a message dated 12/2/2009 9:49:50 P.M. Central Standard Time,
              > > djn@ writes:
              > >
              > > Hi...I use a high end Dremel tool set up onto a QCTP. Works slick....

            • Joe R
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2009
                I toyed with that idea once on my 10 South Bend heavy ten. I found the small
                "dentist" sized grinder fits into the boring bar holder on my AXA tool post.
                (the holder with the large round hole in it)

                Joe R.

                > Has anyone used a pencil air grinder as a tool post grinder? Sure, they
                > need a compressor, but they seem like the right size & weight for the
                > little Atlas, and they'd be really easy to bolt up.

              • Glenn N
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2009
                  I have and it worked really well .. mostly for internal grinding. I put a
                  regulator on the line so I could adjust speed.
                  Has anyone used a pencil air grinder as a tool post grinder? Sure, they need
                  a compressor, but they seem like the right size & weight for the little
                  Atlas, and they'd be really easy to bolt up.

                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, borne2fly@... wrote:

                  > I should have mentioned that the lathe is a 101. Well, actually a 618 (?)
                  > bed modified to receive a 101 headstock. Yes, I thought about using a
                  > Dremel. Any issues with the bearing runout on those things? I'd like to
                  > use it to re-align the spindle taper, so accuracy is important.
                  >
                  > As an aside, I got a new spindle from Clausing, and checked it out on the
                  > V-blocks. The mounting shoulder was .003" off center, the mounting face
                  > had .0015" of wobble, the morse taper was off center by .0016 at around
                  > 1/4" in, and the morse taper also showed considerable wobble (not coaxial
                  > with the spindle). I would assume that everything but the morse was turned
                  > in the same operation, so it's beyond me how the basic mounting surfaces
                  > can get so far off. Once installed in the headstock, a dial indicator
                  > verified that yes indeed it was as buggered up as the V-blocks showed :)
                  > Anyway, it's a bit of a don't-care since it all gets compensated for when
                  > the faceplate is mounted and trued. All except the morse taper. That still
                  > bugs me, and I want to have a go at fixing it.
                  >

                  > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, wbhinkle@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > What is the model #?
                  > > thanks
                  > > bill hinkle
                  > > in Oklahoma
                  > >

                  > > In a message dated 12/2/2009 9:49:50 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                  > > djn@ writes:
                  > >
                  > > Hi...I use a high end Dremel tool set up onto a QCTP. Works slick....

                  The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
                  http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                  Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
                  mailto://elson@...! Groups Links
                • David LeVine
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
                    borne2fly@... wrote:
                    > What's a decent tool post grinder for a 6" lathe? Something that will do both internal and external grinding. I looked at Dumore but even their smallest weighs something like 10lbs, and that seems like a bit of a strain for such a small compound especially considering that the weight is cantilever.

                    Here is a 30,000 RPM spindle for a CNC router which costs all of $62.00
                    plus shipping <http://www.cnconabudget.com/PaulJonesPCBSpindle.html>.
                    It looks like it would need mounted points to work (as would a Dremel),
                    but would not have the flexible rubber mount for the output as does a
                    Dremel.

                    I have no relationship with the vendor, other than potentially being a
                    customer, and not even that at this time.

                    --
                    David G. LeVine
                    Nashua, NH 03060
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
                      Hello Group,

                      Members get first offer.

                      I have an Atlas 10F that is my daily driver
                      which I am offering for sale. It has a change gear
                      set suitable for threading, 3MT headstock spindle,
                      a 3-jaw chuck with key, power cross feed, lantern tool post,
                      tool holder, steady rest, 2MT tailstock, 2MT drill chuck,
                      some 1/4" and 1/2" bits. The drum switch works fine,
                      back gear pin works fine. Lead screw and half nut are fine
                      There may be other items as I sort through the shelves.
                      It's been well lubed and covered when not in use.

                      Located in Hamburg, NY 15 minutes south of Buffalo, NY
                      Asking $600. Cash, Check, PayPal. Pick up only
                      Shipping would be about $350 if I took it apart.

                      I want to get a heavier machine.
                      Looking at a 10x24 Logan 200.

                      Contact me off list if you are interested.
                      Pictures available after tomorrow.

                      If no interest here, it will go on Craigslist for $700.

                      lance
                      ++++