Lathe Operation Manual (c) 1937 - Question

  • dougrl3
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2009
      Greetings all.

      I have the 1937 edition of the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operation & Machinist's tables as well and have a qustion about it. (It has the heavy black cover with silver writing, Atlas logo, etc.)

      For mine, chapter 7 Thread Cutting is listed as "Thread Cutting (Supplement)" in the table of contents and on page one of chapter 7 is says "Threading Supplement to adapt the "manual of lathe operation" to Sears Master craftsman Lathes" Sears, Roebuck & Company Chicago Illinios" The second page says "The following pages compromise Part 7 (pages 95-156) of Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables." Page 3 starts with the photo of example threading cuts as well as wording about "Every Master Craftsman lathe comes with change gears..."

      Now, here is the question, for those with the 1937 edition, does your copy list part 7 as a supplement such as mine, or is the a Sears only edition and a regular Atlas copy would not be set up in this way?

      Also, of interesting note, my lathe, a 101.27440 was delivered on May 28, 1952, however, the copy of the lathe manual that was sent with it was this 1937 edition. This in interseting, as my lathe has the quick change gear box, yet did Sears have such a stock pile of these 1937 edition books that they were sent out anyway rather than a more "modern" 1940's-50's version that would include info about the quick change gear box?

      Thanks for your input.

      ~Doug in VA