Cast iron vice

  • jaguar3145
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2009
      Hi All. I need a source of castings to make a drill press vice and other tools. I know about MLA and Hemingway but there must be more offered here in the USA. Shipping from GB is crippling in cost and I've made most of Andy Lofquist's kits. Any ideas? Thomas
    • oldstudentmsgt
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2009
        One of the guys on the Atlas Shaper & Milling machine group is getting ready to produce castings for shaper & milling vises, but he thinks it will take about 6 months before he can get them into production. I've g to leave momentarily, but when I get back, I'll chase his name down and the specific post on that group, and post the info here.

        Bill in OKC

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jaguar3145" <jaguar3145@...> wrote:

        > Hi All. I need a source of castings to make a drill press vice and other tools. I know about MLA and Hemingway but there must be more offered here in the USA. Shipping from GB is crippling in cost and I've made most of Andy Lofquist's kits. Any ideas? Thomas

      • LocoGear
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2009
          That would be me. I am also on this list as I have a 12" Atlas/Craftsman
          lathe. Here are the details:

          I have contacted Harprit Sandhu and he has passed on to me
          his cad drawings of the shaper vise and his blessing to produce the shaper
          vise castings. My plan now is to go ahead and develop the shaper vise
          casing kit using a lock-down design and a deeper jaw. The castings will be
          done in ductile cast iron (just like my Shay castings) and consist of at
          least three castings. These will be marketed via my live steam locomotive
          business LocoGear.com. I expect that it will take about six monthes to
          bring this into production. So please be patient with me as I do still work
          full time. If you want to be on my waiting list, please contact me off line
          with your full name and postal address. I will ship world wide. No money
          now as I still have to work out those details. If there is enough interest,
          the Harprit Sandhu indexer also looks like a good casting kit. But that
          will be later.

          John D.L. Johnson
          3879 Woods Walk Blvd.
          Lake Worth, FL 33467-2359
          jjohnson@...
          www.LocoGear.com

          > One of the guys on the Atlas Shaper & Milling machine group is getting
          > ready to produce castings for shaper & milling vises, but he thinks it
          > will take about 6 months before he can get them into production. I've g to
          > leave momentarily, but when I get back, I'll chase his name down and the
          > specific post on that group, and post the info here.
          >
          > Bill in OKC
        • oldstudentmsgt
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 12, 2009

            hopefully, this will be of some help.
            I've no association with Mr. Johnson except through Yahoo groups here, just like I have with the rest of y'all. Though if I can ever lay hands on an Atlas shaper, I hope to get some of his casting kits, myself.

            Bill in OKC

            Re: [Atlasshaperandmillingmachineusersgroup] Re: Shaper Casting Kits

            Sorry I have been out of town for a week and am getting caught up on
            developments. I have contacted Harprit Sandhu and he has passed on to me

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 13, 2009
              Thanks, John! I'm on about a hundred differnt Yahoo groups, mostly metalworking, and mostly just lurking, but thought this would helpful here, and I'm glad to find that you're here also! I remember back in the days before the internet that having "odd" hobbies could be really lonely, and it could vary from merely difficult to flatly impossible to find necessary info.

              Since I'm on so many different groups, I am in digest-only mode, so my mailbox doesn't get swamped! My original post, your answer to me, and my post of your info both showed up in my inbox about 4 minutes ago. I posted originally about 4:30 pm yesterday afternoon, and followed up about 1 am this morning. I was bushed when I came home last night, but there has been a LOT of discussion on these castings.

              Still beats the months and sometimes years it took to get info back in the "good old days!" ;)

              Bill in OKC