Re: Atlas 7B Shaper part needed - HELP!

  • Sven Pruett
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
      <The best plan is probably to machine a new one. Any old one will be just as
      susceptible to breakage as the old one, and there are probably many fewer of
      those castings than there are otherwise workable shapers.
      it is considerably simpler than the S7-22DX feed and ratchet gear
      housing................. it looks like there should only be one critical
      center distance, that between the shafts for S7-86 gear and S7-68A gear.
      That and the thickness so that the S7-64 plate will hold it correctly.
      The outside is not critical, other than to credibly fit the S7-24D guard.
      And if you machine it out of block aluminum you can have a "billet" feed
      housing, which is "obviously better"!
      Somewhere I have drawings I made of the critical fit features of most of
      those zamac castings.

      JT,

      Gave that some thought but had hoped to find one quickly so I could return it to service. Aside from that, I am currently without a functional mill and the machining would present some challenges as a result if I endeavored to go the "billet" route. In any case, I would really appreciate copies of your drawings if you happen to run across them. I am very new to Atlas shapers (and shapers in general) and I really appreciate your taking the time to help me with ideas and suggestions.

      I suppose another option would be for me to pattern and cast a new housing. I do have an aluminum foundry in my shop that hasn't been doing much lately, but there again, the time issue of making patterns and casting the part comes back into the equation. I sure sound LAZY don't I? 8^)

      Sven Pruett

    • old2l63
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
        Sven,

        If you have all the pieces, and can piece them together as a pattern, sent it to Cattail foundry. Prices are reasonable, and turn around is quick.

        http://wiki.owwm.com/Default.aspx?Page=FoundrySources&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

        "feed housing (Part # S7-25D) had been fractured Does anyone out there have a new/used housing in good shape they are willing to part with? Any help would be gretly appreciated!"

        You'll still have to machine the casting, but will have an authentic looking part. (If that is important to you.)

        Mike
      • jerdal@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
          Having the pattern and getting a casting won't help a lot, you still need to
          finish machine the part, which will need a mill also. With that particular
          part, I think mostly faceplate work would allow you to make a functioning
          part, faceplate with some in-the-lathe milling.

          It's worth while having some "residual" milling capability in the lathe,
          just for this sort of thing. The mill may be "down", or maybe you don't
          have one.

          I used a 7B as my "mill" for quite some time.... even made bevel gears on
          it. And I have milled on the lathe, although I do NOT particularly like it.

          JT
          > I suppose another option would be for me to pattern and cast a new
          > housing. I do have an aluminum foundry in my shop that hasn't been doing
          > much lately, but there again, the time issue of making patterns and
          > casting the part comes back into the equation. I sure sound LAZY don't I?
          > 8^)
        • old2l63
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2009
            If you do not have milling capabilities, you could try filing. Lay it out. Use a surface plate. Keep track of critical values. Use good files.

            In my high school, we had an old time shop teacher. You got a small block of stock to create a 1 inch square cube.+/- .005. Had to use files only.

            > finish machine the part, which will need a mill also. With that particular
            > part,
            > It's worth while having some "residual" milling capability in the lathe,
            > just for this sort of thing. The mill may be "down", or maybe you don't
            > have one.
            >
            > I used a 7B as my "mill" for quite some time.... even made bevel gears on
            > it. And I have milled on the lathe, although I do NOT particularly like it.
          • vanirv6
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
              Thanks for the responses to this. While I still would like to purchase an original part, I have contacted Clausing and am purchasing a copy of the original part print. As I have foundry capabilities in-house, I plan to pattern the part as a new aluminum casting and will add the features necessary to allow the entire part to be machined using only a lathe, drill press and hand tools (at least that's the idea). The plan at the moment is to cast the parts in 319 alloy and allow enough stock to install an oilite or bronze bushing in the shaft bore for good wear characteristics.

              Now my brain is getting wrapped around the idea of preducing patterns for all of the zamac (zinc-alloy) castings in the machine. Granted they won't be restoration-quality originals as I intend to add material and simplicity wherever it is desired/required.......purists beware! In the end, I suspect I will be my own best customer, but I am thinking of the possibility of making castings available to whomever wants them. Just not sure of the demand......

              Regards!

              Sven Pruett

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "old2l63" <oldtool@...> wrote:

              > If you do not have milling capabilities, you could try filing. Lay it out. Use a surface plate. Keep track of critical values. Use good files.
              >
              > In my high school, we had an old time shop teacher. You got a small block of stock to create a 1 inch square cube.+/- .005. Had to use files only.
              >
              > > finish machine the part, which will need a mill also. With that particular
              > > part,
              > > It's worth while having some "residual" milling capability in the lathe,
              > > just for this sort of thing. The mill may be "down", or maybe you don't
              > > have one.
              > >
              > > I used a 7B as my "mill" for quite some time.... even made bevel gears on
              > > it. And I have milled on the lathe, although I do NOT particularly like it.

            • Joe R
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2009
                Sven

                I think that's a fantastic idea. Have you contacted Harprit? He was
                supplying castings for various parts of the 7B including parts for the vise
                until his patterns were lost. He is a fantastic person and it would be well
                worth your time to contact him.

                http://www.harpritsan.com/Castings.html

                I have his gear case and cover castings and I think you would find them of
                "Restoration Quality".

                Joe R.

                > Now my brain is getting wrapped around the idea of preducing patterns for
                > all of the zamac (zinc-alloy) castings in the machine. Granted they won't
                > be restoration-quality originals as I intend to add material and
                > simplicity wherever it is desired/required.......purists beware! In the
                > end, I suspect I will be my own best customer, but I am thinking of the
                > possibility of making castings available to whomever wants them. Just not
                > sure of the demand......
                >
                > Regards!
                >
                > Sven Pruett

              • slatedeck.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 4, 2009
                  Hi Sven,

                  Glad to see someone with the capabilities taking up this task.

                  Can I be the first to ask for one if you go this route?
                  Just to egg you on :-)

                  Keep my email handy just in case

                  Thanks
                  Darren

                  --
                  Regards
                  Darren

                  Website www.slatedeck.com
                • vanirv6
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 4, 2009
                    Thanks Joe. I contacted Harprit based on a recommendation from a friend before finding his site. Unfortunately, I got a pretty short reply saying there were no castings available. So I just left it at that. So much for the easy way out! LOL

                    So, with that, the project begins. I have already sketched out the features I want and the provisions necessary to be able to mount the cating to my faceplate. The print is on the way and I have to finish a new sand muller, but I need to make this happen if for no other reason to keep my old Atlas 7B humming!

                    Regards,

                    Sven Pruett

                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Joe R" <jromas@...> wrote:

                    > Sven
                    >
                    > I think that's a fantastic idea. Have you contacted Harprit? He was
                    > supplying castings for various parts of the 7B including parts for the vise
                    > until his patterns were lost. He is a fantastic person and it would be well
                    > worth your time to contact him.
                    >
                    > http://www.harpritsan.com/Castings.html
                    >
                    > I have his gear case and cover castings and I think you would find them of
                    > "Restoration Quality".
                    >

                    > Joe R.

                  • vanirv6
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 4, 2009
                      Darren,

                      I'll need all the pushing you can provide! I will keep a progress report series going on here just to keep the Atlas shaper owner's informed. I'm already at work on this project, but admittedly a bit slow.

                      Thanks!

                      Sven Pruett

                      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "slatedeck.com" <we4212@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Sven,
                      >
                      > Glad to see someone with the capabilities taking up this task.
                      >
                      > Can I be the first to ask for one if you go this route?
                      > Just to egg you on :-)
                      >
                      > Keep my email handy just in case
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Darren
                      >
                      > --
                      > Regards
                      > Darren
                      >
                      > Website www.slatedeck.com

                    • hyme
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 18, 2012
                        ill buy a casting and some gears if you got them!!!!!my housing is ried and the gear is messed up....not the small one on the shaft but the big one that looks like 2 gears putogether.....anyone have a source on the big gears????....thanks eric..........