Verifying my lathe

  • Lancour, Dennis A
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
      Members I need help!!!

      I purchased a Craftsman metalworking lathe,
      prior owner said the model number is 12L - 089699
      but can't find number on machine for verification.
      Bed measures 48" from end to end of ways, and
      stamped number in way is 6444 S. Machine is
      blue/gray in color. Owner also said lathe has a 9"
      swing, but machine measures 6" from ways to center
      so I believe machine has a 12" swing.
      As a beginner in the lathe world, and wanting
      to restore this machine where do I start?
      Need your guidance in not making costly mistakes!!!

    • catboat15@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
        In a message dated 10/2/00 9:19:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        dennis.lancour@... writes:

        << prior owner said the model number is 12L - 089699 >>
        That does not sound like a Sears model number, It could be 121.089699 and
        if it is that is not an Atlas, but a lathe by AA. Sears sold a 6 inch by AA,
        but I have not heard of a 12 inch AA. (There are a whole lot of things I
        never heard of) As far as I know Craftsman/Atlas all had model numbers
        starting with 101. something Look on the back or the end of the bed and you
        may find a model number and serial number plate.
        John Meacham
      • Randall L. Pedersen
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
          Dennis:

          If you can try posting some pictures of it in the files section of this group and maybe someone can ID it for you.

          Randy

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
            Dennis,
            You can go to the "LINK" section for this egroup.
            You will find something useful I think.
            J-Charles

            --- In atlas_craftsman@egroups.com, "Lancour, Dennis A"
            <dennis.lancour@c...> wrote:
            > Members I need help!!!
            >
            > I purchased a Craftsman metalworking lathe,
            > prior owner said the model number is 12L - 089699
            > but can't find number on machine for verification.
            > Bed measures 48" from end to end of ways, and
            > stamped number in way is 6444 S. Machine is
            > blue/gray in color. Owner also said lathe has a 9"
            > swing, but machine measures 6" from ways to center
            > so I believe machine has a 12" swing.
            > As a beginner in the lathe world, and wanting
            > to restore this machine where do I start?
            > Need your guidance in not making costly mistakes!!!

          • Ronald Thibault
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2000
              At 10:59 AM 10/2/00 -0500, you wrote:
              >Members I need help!!!
              >
              > I purchased a Craftsman metalworking lathe,
              >prior owner said the model number is 12L - 089699
              >but can't find number on machine for verification.
              >Bed measures 48" from end to end of ways, and
              >stamped number in way is 6444 S. Machine is
              >blue/gray in color. Owner also said lathe has a 9"
              >swing, but machine measures 6" from ways to center
              >so I believe machine has a 12" swing.
              > As a beginner in the lathe world, and wanting
              >to restore this machine where do I start?
              >Need your guidance in not making costly mistakes!!!

              Dennis;
              I have detailed some of the restoration I did on my first Atlas
              lathe in my Web Site (address below). Lindsay Publications has many useful
              books from the 1900's through today (http://www.lindsaybks.com/).
              Yes, you do have a 12" Atlas. http://www.tooltrip.com/ has
              exploded view parts lists for several different Atlas models in his
              metalworking section.
              What on the lathe needs restoring?

              Ron Thibault
              North Augusta, SC USA