Re: [atlas_craftsman] digital calipers

  • Leon Robinson
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 2, 2009
      I you get a dial caliper, make sure that it is 0.100 per revolution, some of the cheaper one are 0.200 per revolution.
      That said, all of the comments by others are correct.
      I have used both dial and digital, My preference is the Dial.
      But you must keep it clean.

      Leon     K5JLR

      Political Correctness is a Political Disease. K5JLR

      Message 46 of 46 , Dec 15, 2010
        FWIW ...when cutting to a shoulder , on avg work , i scribe a line w/ disposable china dial caliper ,NOT my starret , nor vernier ,on a magiic mark blob ...rough cut near the line ...then use a depth mike /telescoping ga. to measure.....then set up a cariage mt dial indicator to zero ... or mic stop & back off required amt & finsh cut ....if neither of the above are handy , set the compound in line w/lathe c/l & put it on w/ compound ...may take up to a minute more than a diigital read out , which on a "one off " macht nichts ...on a run of 5000 , a different story ..but the story is w/ CNC...& your bed is not cluttered up ...?????.
        ...if its not avg work , eyeball splitting the line, or first get out the surface plate ,ht ga,& assorted layout eq.

        on xslide work , i rough to w/in say 20 thou ,back off ( there is still SPRING in cut even on my monarch 14 in ) reset bit to zero . put on 15 thou , measure w/a mike , not a china.001+/- dial/direct read caliper ,or if ID work , i prefer my vernier or a ball/ telescope ga., STONE the bit & reset again ..put the last 5 + thou on ...it will be close .....if its a 1/2 thou large , thats what 120 /220 grit cloth is for & you probably forgot to stone your bit...if you stoned the bit ,.a second pass w/ no change may take the 1/2 out ....if high speed bit is SHARP , one can put a 1/4 thou d.o.c. on & GET IT .....if your xslide screw/nut is 3/4 worn out , put the compound in line w/ x slide & put the last on w/ it ...compound is hardly ever used sufficiently in HS to have a screw/nut w/ that kind of wear...

        just MY way FWIW

        best wishes
        docn8as