Re: [atlas_craftsman] Atlas/Craftsman 101.21400 6" Lathe

  • jmartin957@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2009
      In a message dated 7/31/09 4:43:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      davidmakseyn@... writes:

      > Hello all!
      > I have been working on the re-build of this lathe for a while and I have
      > reached an impass. When I got it it had no motor or countershaft drive
      > pulleys. I have worked out the possible pulley diameters from the speed chart in
      > the manual and have determined that in the 'B' position which is the fast
      > speed the motor should have a 4" and the countershaft a 4.5" pulley. In the
      > 'A' position which is the slow speed the motor should have a 2" and the
      > countershaft a 5" pulley. This is based on a 1725 RPM motor. How close did I
      > come?
      > Thanks,
      > Dave

      Not sure which model the 101.21400 is, but I've got an Atlas/Craftsman 6"
      old style - round headstock cover, as opposed to the later square blue one.

      The sizes you came up with give about the right ratios, but you won't like
      the results.

      Mine are:
      low speed: motor 1.73", jackshaft 4.48"
      high speed: motor 3.20", jackshaft 3.20"

      So, if the ratios are about right, why won't you like the sizes you came up
      with? Simple. You want the pulley sizes to be such that, given the
      spacing of the motor and jackshaft pulleys and the ratios wanted, one belt length
      will suffice. Not knowing how you plan to space the motor and jackshaft -
      it does make a difference - a quick look at your sizes indicates that your
      fast speed belt will have to be quite a bit longer than your slow speed belt.

      Don't worry too much about trying to hit the published Atlas speeds. There
      is nothing magic about them.

      John Martin

    • davidmakseyn
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, jmartin957@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 7/31/09 4:43:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > davidmakseyn@... writes:
        >
        > > Hello all!
        > > I have been working on the re-build of this lathe for a while and I have
        > > reached an impass. When I got it it had no motor or countershaft drive
        > > pulleys. I have worked out the possible pulley diameters from the speed chart in
        > > the manual and have determined that in the 'B' position which is the fast
        > > speed the motor should have a 4" and the countershaft a 4.5" pulley. In the
        > > 'A' position which is the slow speed the motor should have a 2" and the
        > > countershaft a 5" pulley. This is based on a 1725 RPM motor. How close did I
        > > come?
        > > Thanks,
        > > Dave
        > >

        > Not sure which model the 101.21400 is, but I've got an Atlas/Craftsman 6"
        > old style - round headstock cover, as opposed to the later square blue one.
        >
        > The sizes you came up with give about the right ratios, but you won't like
        > the results.
        >
        > Mine are:
        > low speed: motor 1.73", jackshaft 4.48"
        > high speed: motor 3.20", jackshaft 3.20"
        >
        > So, if the ratios are about right, why won't you like the sizes you came up
        > with? Simple. You want the pulley sizes to be such that, given the
        > spacing of the motor and jackshaft pulleys and the ratios wanted, one belt length
        > will suffice. Not knowing how you plan to space the motor and jackshaft -
        > it does make a difference - a quick look at your sizes indicates that your
        > fast speed belt will have to be quite a bit longer than your slow speed belt.
        >
        > Don't worry too much about trying to hit the published Atlas speeds. There
        > is nothing magic about them.
        >
        > John Martin

        Good day to you John!

        Thank you so much for the pulley size information. I had given the belt length some thought as well but that is where I got bogged down.
        My Atlas/Craftsman is or at least sounds like yours as well. Round headstock cover, 1"-10 spindle. I am now a lot closer to getting the old boy spinning again. I agree with you that the actual speeds listed in the book are not cast in stone. Slightly slower or faster will not make that much difference. Having the belt fit on either pulley set-up is much more important to one's sanity!

        Thank you,

        Dave Makseyn