Power crossfeed knob

  • jmileman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 13, 2009
      The crappy mazak\zamak apron gear case on my 10F finally fell apart last week so over the weekend I've attempted to cobble together a replacement. It's not perfect as the handwheel gear and shaft gear don't mate quite as well as they could do so it's a little noisy when moving the carriage however it should be good enough for me.

      However on testing everything on re-assembly I noticed that the power crossfeed knob rotates when the lead screw is engaged. Now it's very likely that it's always done this (and should do this)but I've never noticed it in the past, can someone just put my mind at rest and confirm that this is normal.

      Thanks

      Jim
    • shuckersfan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 13, 2009
        When the leadscrew turns, it turns. If not, you've got problems with your mitre gear assembly.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 13, 2009
          jmileman wrote:
          > The crappy mazak\zamak apron gear case on my 10F finally fell apart last week so over the weekend I've attempted to cobble together a replacement. It's not perfect as the handwheel gear and shaft gear don't mate quite as well as they could do so it's a little noisy when moving the carriage however it should be good enough for me.
          >
          > However on testing everything on re-assembly I noticed that the power crossfeed knob rotates when the lead screw is engaged. Now it's very likely that it's always done this (and should do this)but I've never noticed it in the past, can someone just put my mind at rest and confirm that this is normal.

          Yes, that knob is on the end of a gear shaft. When you pull the knob,
          the gear lines up with a gear on the crossfeed shaft, and makes it
          turn. Anytime the leadscrew is turning, the knob should also turn.

          Jon
        • Glenn N
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 13, 2009
            Mine does that :) Don't know if it is normal but I think it is.
            The crappy mazak\zamak apron gear case on my 10F finally fell apart last
            week so over the weekend I've attempted to cobble together a replacement.
            It's not perfect as the handwheel gear and shaft gear don't mate quite as
            well as they could do so it's a little noisy when moving the carriage
            however it should be good enough for me.

            However on testing everything on re-assembly I noticed that the power
            crossfeed knob rotates when the lead screw is engaged. Now it's very likely
            that it's always done this (and should do this)but I've never noticed it in
            the past, can someone just put my mind at rest and confirm that this is
            normal.

            Thanks

            Jim

            The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
            http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
            Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
            mailto://elson@...! Groups Links
          • Scott Henion
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 13, 2009
              jmileman wrote:
              > The crappy mazak\zamak apron gear case on my 10F finally fell apart last week so over the weekend I've attempted to cobble together a replacement. It's not perfect as the handwheel gear and shaft gear don't mate quite as well as they could do so it's a little noisy when moving the carriage however it should be good enough for me.
              >
              > However on testing everything on re-assembly I noticed that the power crossfeed knob rotates when the lead screw is engaged. Now it's very likely that it's always done this (and should do this)but I've never noticed it in the past, can someone just put my mind at rest and confirm that this is normal.

              I think that is a normal reaction. When you start out you tend to run
              the lathe slow so you don't notice it. Later, when you ramp the speed
              up, it is much more noticeable.

              | Scott G. Henion| shenion@... |
              | http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman-12x36/ |
            • jmileman
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 14, 2009
                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Scott Henion <shenion@...> wrote:

                > jmileman wrote:
                > > The crappy mazak\zamak apron gear case on my 10F finally fell apart last week so over the weekend I've attempted to cobble together a replacement. It's not perfect as the handwheel gear and shaft gear don't mate quite as well as they could do so it's a little noisy when moving the carriage however it should be good enough for me.
                > >
                > > However on testing everything on re-assembly I noticed that the power crossfeed knob rotates when the lead screw is engaged. Now it's very likely that it's always done this (and should do this)but I've never noticed it in the past, can someone just put my mind at rest and confirm that this is normal.
                > >

                > I think that is a normal reaction. When you start out you tend to run
                > the lathe slow so you don't notice it. Later, when you ramp the speed
                > up, it is much more noticeable.
                >
                > --

                > | Scott G. Henion| shenion@... |
                > | http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman-12x36/ |

                Thanks for the feedback guys - I can sleep easy again :)
              • Gilbert Gileau
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 14, 2009
                  The power cross feed should not work unless you push the knob in to mesh it with the lead screw. Gil

                  ________________________________
                  > > The crappy mazak\zamak apron gear case on my 10F finally fell apart last week so over the weekend I've attempted to cobble together a replacement. It's not perfect as the handwheel gear and shaft gear don't mate quite as well as they could do so it's a little noisy when moving the carriage however it should be good enough for me.
                  > >
                  > > However on testing everything on re-assembly I noticed that the power crossfeed knob rotates when the lead screw is engaged. Now it's very likely that it's always done this (and should do this)but I've never noticed it in the past, can someone just put my mind at rest and confirm that this is normal.
                  > >

                  > I think that is a normal reaction. When you start out you tend to run
                  > the lathe slow so you don't notice it. Later, when you ramp the speed
                  > up, it is much more noticeable.
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > ------------ --------- --------- --------- ---
                  > | Scott G. Henion| shenion@... |
                  > | http://shdesigns. org/Craftsman- 12x36/ |
                  > ------------ --------- --------- --------- ---

                  Thanks for the feedback guys - I can sleep easy again :)

                • mertnedp
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 14, 2009
                    As others have stated, the knob rotates whenever the lead screw is turning. I have replaced this knob with a different setup as a rotating part can hurt you in a machine shop. Also it gives me a better way of engaging the Power cross feed. I did post some pictures as http://wrx-now.tripod.com Check out the Atlas page. This modification makes it so much easier to operate.
                  • ahz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 14, 2009
                      impressive work.

                    • catboat15@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 17, 2009
                        Yes, the knob rotates when engaged on my Atlas also. But, I see in photos
                        on later models the knob is controlled with some kind of lever to pull and
                        push the knob and remove the hazard of a rotating knob exposed to skin, meat
                        and assorted body parts.

                        The mod appears to be some kind of bracket bolted to the face of the apron
                        with a fork that encloses the knob and a lever that extends out so that you
                        lower the lever to pull on the knob and raise the lever to push in on the
                        knob. Does not look like a difficult mod to home shop if you were careful
                        not to drill a bolt hole in the wrong spot on the apron. (Then, again, it
                        might entail a special face that was part of a later production run, so never
                        was too tempted to make such a mod on Dad's lathe.) BTW I call the Atlas
                        that I now use "Dad's Lathe" because when I was growing up and helping Dad
                        with household maintenance chores he would say, "If we only had a metal
                        turning screw cutting lathe we could make that part." So when I got my first
                        lathe I always felt it was my Dad's lathe that he always had wanted.

                        **************Can love help you live longer? Find out now.
                        (http://personals.aol.com/articles/2009/02/18/longer-lives-through-relationships/?ncid=emlweu
                        slove00000001)

                      • James Rice
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 17, 2009
                          I have that feeling every time I use my Shopsmith 10ER. My Dad took me to
                          several "sawdust parties" at Montgomery Wards in the early 1950's which were
                          actually Shopsmith demonstrations. I was probably 4 at the first one but I
                          still remember it vividly. He always visited "his Shopsmith" every time we
                          shopped at Wards but never had the cash to buy one. He in his late 80's now
                          but his face lit up the other day when I showed him my "new Shopsmith" that
                          I purchased to restore. I'm considering buying another one to restore for
                          him. He still maintains a full shop and spends a lot of time in it unless
                          it's too cold or too hot.

                          James

                          *