Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: 10" Atlas or is it Atlas Craftsman

  • Brett Jones
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 2, 2009
      There were specialty covers that enclosed all the belts/pulleys/gears
      for both the horizontal and the vertical configurations, but the std.
      vertical covers are what you have over one gear set. The vertical is not
      as common in my experience as the horizontal, but these parts are fairly
      easy to find on E-Bay.

      Post a photo of the apron.

      --
      Brett Jones
      brett@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 2, 2009
        I just posted pictures of the apron in the photo album under this subject heading.
        Thank you.

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Brett Jones <brett@...> wrote:

        > There were specialty covers that enclosed all the belts/pulleys/gears
        > for both the horizontal and the vertical configurations, but the std.
        > vertical covers are what you have over one gear set. The vertical is not
        > as common in my experience as the horizontal, but these parts are fairly
        > easy to find on E-Bay.
        >
        > Post a photo of the apron.
        >

        > --
        > Brett Jones
        > brett@...

      • docfin59
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2, 2009
          I have uploaded two apron photos to the photo album under this subject heading.
          Thank you.

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Brett Jones <brett@...> wrote:

          > There were specialty covers that enclosed all the belts/pulleys/gears
          > for both the horizontal and the vertical configurations, but the std.
          > vertical covers are what you have over one gear set. The vertical is not
          > as common in my experience as the horizontal, but these parts are fairly
          > easy to find on E-Bay.
          >
          > Post a photo of the apron.
          >

          > --
          > Brett Jones
          > brett@...

        • Brett Jones
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2, 2009
            Your machine is a 10-D not a 10-F. I'd also guess it's an earlier
            version of the 10-D since the carriage/apron is a solid casting (unless
            I'm missing the bolts).

            Is the leadscrew 5/8" or 3/4"?

            --
            Brett Jones
            brett@...
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2009
              docfin59 wrote:
              > I am a new member and I have been reading all the archived files.
              > I acquired an Atlas 10" lathe, but I cannot find a model number on it.
              > I could use a little help from the experts as to identification.
              > I found a part number on the right side of the head stock assembly 10D 3.
              > If this is a 10D model does the headstock take the same parts as those for a 10F model?
              > It is missing the Left hand gear cover and I was wondering if a newer cover would fit that only leaves an opening for the belt?

              If there is a small pull knob directly below the cross feed handle, it
              is a 10F. That knob engages the power cross feed.
              If it doesn't have that knob, it is a 10D, or possibly a 9". All 10"
              have many interchangeable parts, the only major difference is whether
              the spindle bearings are Babbit or Timken roller. There are some other
              differences, such as the countershaft setup, of which there are several.

              I have a set of covers for the 10" change gear model, with a good set of
              gear charts inside. The gear cover does not go around the belt area.
              There is a separate cover for that, which goes over the top of the
              pulley area. I have one of those, too, for the "horizontal"
              countershaft model. That is with the countershaft behind the headstock,
              and roughly level with the spindle.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2009
                docfin59 wrote:
                > I have uploaded four headstock photos to a photo album using the message title.
                > Thank you for the help.

                OK, looks like a 10" D model, with Timken bearings and vertical
                countershaft. You've got the gear cover, and I don't think there is a
                belt cover for the vertical countershaft design, but I could be wrong on
                that.

                Jon
              • docfin59
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 5, 2009
                  The lead screw is 5/8 " diameter.
                  Thank you.-

                  -- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Brett Jones <brett@...> wrote:

                  > Your machine is a 10-D not a 10-F. I'd also guess it's an earlier
                  > version of the 10-D since the carriage/apron is a solid casting (unless
                  > I'm missing the bolts).
                  >
                  > Is the leadscrew 5/8" or 3/4"?
                  >
                  > --
                  > Brett Jones
                  > brett@...

                • Bruce Freeman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 5, 2009
                    The model number may be on the far right end of the bed.

                    On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM, docfin59<docfin59@...> wrote:

                    > I am a new member and I have been reading all the archived files.
                    > I acquired an Atlas 10" lathe, but I cannot find a model number on it.

                    --
                    Bruce
                    NJ

                    The total lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.
                  • Gilbert Gileau
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 5, 2009
                      My leadscrew is 3/4" od on the threads and 5/8" on the gear drive end. 10-F