Newbie parting question

  • Ron Grossl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hello all, I recently purchased an Atlas 12X36 lathe. I am just now getting started on doing some work on it. I have used larger lathes a little, but by no means am I a proficient machinist. My question is on the use of the cut off tool that I got with it. I have an AXA style toolpost with a Universal parting toolholder. The blade is a 1/8 inch HSS steel blade. I have read many posts concerning the grinding of cutoff tools and they all say to grind relief on the sides and grind back rake on the top. My question is, since this toolholder actually holds the blade about 10 degrees from horizontal, is that back rake built in or do I still need to grind the top of the tool ? And since the tool blade is inclined, what angle should I grind the front of it ?
      Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I have found nothing on this.

      Thanks
      Ron
    • William Abernathy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
        You can get away with no top rake at that angle, but you do need to hone the
        cutting face, and a chip curl on top will help. You will also want to use a
        thinner blade than that. 1/8" is pretty severe for this family of lathes.

        --William A.