Re: [atlas_craftsman] A possible alternative to a tool post grinder?

  • Bruce Freeman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
      Peter,
      I cannot open these photos. Some sort of account seems to be needed.

      --
      Bruce
      NJ

      The total lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.
    • wing nut
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2009
        I use a Dumore 10-351 hand grinder in a matching tool post mount. This tool post mount is designed to go around the neck of the Dumore with set screws and has a rectangular blade sticking out the side for mounting it in an AXA (in my case) tool post. Trouble is, the tool post mount is a discontinued item and Dumore said they only had 4 left.
        The 351 grinder screams away at 22,000 rpm unless you get a little cheapie motor control for it (like the ones from Harbor Freight), and it comes with 1/4" and 1/8" collets only. For an additional extortion you can get a small Jacobs chuck that replaces the collets and opens up to 5/32" or so.
        For a 6" Atlas the Dumore is a little big but it works really well.

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2009
          Bruce,

          I use a Dremel tool with a flex shaft that I mounted in a boring bar
          holder that came with my new QC tool post. The hole was too big to clamp
          around the 1/2 inch handpiece of the flexshaft so I made a reduser in
          the form of a split sleeve that was 3/4 " outside diameter by 1/2 "
          inside.

          I can now adjust it up and down with the tool holder or in and out with
          the travel screw on the compound. I left enough of the handpiece
          sticking out so I can readily change tools without removing the
          handpiece from the boring bar holder. I am also lucky that I have a
          reversing motor on the lathe so I can run the workpiece in reverse while
          I grind with the Dremel. That way the grinder and the workpiece are
          rotating in opposite directions, Works like a charm for cutting off or
          face grinding smaller pieces. Bob H.

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...>