Re: [atlas_craftsman] Why does my spindle *pulley* have index holes in it?

  • bill phelps
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2009
      the pully you have is for a atlas wood lathe it is the same as the metal lathe you should have indexing holes in the bull gear also  bill

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2009
        Folks-

        Posted by: "Robert Silas" _robert.silas@... _
        (mailto:robert.silas@...?Subject=
        Re:%20Why%20does%20my%20spindle%20*pulley*%20have%20index%20holes%20in%20it?) _robsi39 _ (http://profiles.yahoo.com/robsi39)
        Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:39 pm (PST):
        > I think you have your bull gear installed the wrong way. The index holes
        >have to face the chuck.

        No, the bull gear is facing the correct way and it has the proper indexing
        holes. I'm talking about the pulley, the largest one that is adjacent to the
        bull gar on the spindle. The *pulley* has the indexing holes in it as well.

        and:

        Posted by: "bill phelps" _sweetwaterent2000@... _
        (mailto:sweetwaterent2000@...?Subject=
        Re:%20Why%20does%20my%20spindle%20*pulley*%20have%20index%20holes%20in%20it?) _sweetwaterent2000 _
        (http://profiles.yahoo.com/sweetwaterent2000)
        Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:51 pm (PST)
        >the pully you have is for a atlas wood lathe it is the same as the metal
        lathe you should have indexing holes >in the bull gear also bill

        Thanks, Bill!
        That actually makes a lot more sense. Either came from the factory that
        way(Atlas commonality), or somebody forgot to oil the pulley bushings and
        salvaged a wood lathe's pulley assy as a repair part.
        I guess the wood lathes didn't need back gear?

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2009
          the pully is from a atlas wood lathe way back sears sold a atlas lathe that had the same headstock as the metal lathe and it had the indexing holes in it they also sold all the parts to convert it a metal lathe

          Posted by: "bill phelps" _sweetwaterent2000@ yahoo.com _
          (mailto:sweetwaterent2000@ yahoo.com?Subject=
          Re:%20Why%20does% 20my%20spindle% 20*pulley* %20have%20index% 20holes%20in% 20it?) _sweetwaterent2000 _
          (http://profiles. yahoo.com/ sweetwaterent200 0)
          Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:51 pm (PST)
          >the pully you have is for a atlas wood lathe it is the same as the metal
          lathe you should have indexing holes >in the bull gear also bill

          Thanks, Bill!
          That actually makes a lot more sense. Either came from the factory that
          way(Atlas commonality) , or somebody forgot to oil the pulley bushings and
          salvaged a wood lathe's pulley assy as a repair part.
          I guess the wood lathes didn't need back gear?

          -Phil LaBudde
          Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic Improbabilities
          ************ **From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in between, stay
          up-to-date with the latest news. (http://aol.com? ncid=emlcntaolco m00000023)

        • Ron Rupp
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
            Phil
            I have one of the late 30's "Universal" wood lathes that was mentioned in the other replys to your post.  As mentioned it uses the same pulley, Timkin bearing headstock, and spindle as the metal lathes.  It did not have the gears in side the headstock though.  The index pin is made longer to make up for the missing bull gear.  I have come to understand from this forum that set screw in your pulley is used as an oil point to lube the gap between the bushings.  On the wood lathe version, this set screw becomes the drive point for the spindle.  I found it interesting that my spindle was spotted at that point with a drill to give some positive grip for the set screw.  I have not seen that on any of the spindles from the metal lathes.  I wonder if any of the Universal Wood lathe owners on this forum have noticed that on their spindles and if that was original or if it was added by a previous owner.

[...]

            The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
            http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
            Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
            mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

          • FIFTYGUY@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
              Ron-

              Thank you for the follow-up!

              I'm glad to find out that the indexing pin was in fact longer.

              And very interesting about the set screw lock down/dimpled spindle.
              Helps us metal lathe guys ID those parts on eBay!

              I just can't seem to figure out why you'd want to index a wooden part -
              especially to a precision of 36 divisions! After all, there's just a tool
              rest, which doesn't provide an accurate reference point relative to the indexed
              spindle. Do you guys use a special wide tool rest to give a nice flat
              reference plane? Or is there some sort of special live tooling attachment (in the
              vein of an ornamental turning lathe?)
              Actually, I was thinking of making something like this for my metal
              lathe:

              _http://www.oneway.ca/workshop/drill_wizard.htm_
              (http://www.oneway.ca/workshop/drill_wizard.htm)

              I'd figure with live tooling you could make Tinker-Toys :), but what
              else is indexing good for on a wood lathe? These days a 4th-axis indexer on a
              VMC would be the typical approach...

            • catboat15@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2009
                I am probably the last person in the world to ask about wood working. But,
                I do have friends that do that kind of stuff. Plenty of use for a dividing
                means on a wood lathe. Especially for those who do decorative turning Salt
                and pepper shakers, the "blob" on top of the stairway end, platters with
                decorative designs, fluted table legs and so on. You would probably mark the
                work on the lathe using the index holes then move the work piece to a router
                table and use the "indexed marks" to adjust the cutters.

                **************Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
                AOL Music.
                (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000003)