Atlas 12" cross slide kit

  • howard yoshida
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2000
      I came across this site named Metal Lathe and they sell various kits
      to make attachments for the lathe.I was wondering if anybody made
      a cross slide.The dimensions for the stock is 11 1/2" X 4" X 1 1/2".
      There is a 1 1/2" wide slot 1/2" deep running length wise.It says
      1/16" for machining allowance.How thick should it be for the top of
      the cross slide to the slot?The way I look at it comes out to 1/4"
      from the top of the table to the top of the slot and 1/4" for the slot
      and 1/4" from the bottom of the slot to the top of the dovetail which
      is 1/2"'s.The 1/16" is probably going to come from the top and the
      bottom so the top will not be exactly 1/4"'s.I hope the way I tried
      to explain it doesn't make your head spin.It would probably be better
      if I had a drawing that I could post.Is cast iron very hard to machine
      or is it like machining mild steel?I was thinking of using a piece
      of 1" plate for the table and bolting on another piece of 1/2" plate
      after milling it 60 degree's for the dovetail since I don't have a
      dovetail cutter.Would it be ok to use a woodruff key seat cutter
      instead of a t slot cutter?One last question,how do they cut a screw-
      driver slot in 8/32 set screw?All reply's will be appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Howard
    • Marty Escarcega
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2000
        Howard, Darrell Collins has made this slide go to:
        http://www.goodnet.com/~dcollin/ and click on My Shop. You can e-
        mail him directly.

        Marty

        > I came across this site named Metal Lathe and they sell various kits
        > to make attachments for the lathe.I was wondering if anybody made a
        > cross slide.The dimensions for the stock is 11 1/2" X 4" X 1 1/2".
        > There is a 1 1/2" wide slot 1/2" deep running length wise.It says
        > 1/16" for machining allowance.How thick should it be for the top of
        > the cross slide to the slot?The way I look at it comes out to 1/4"
        > from the top of the table to the top of the slot and 1/4" for the slot
        > and 1/4" from the bottom of the slot to the top of the dovetail which
        > is 1/2"'s.The 1/16" is probably going to come from the top and the
        > bottom so the top will not be exactly 1/4"'s.I hope the way I tried to
        > explain it doesn't make your head spin.It would probably be better if
        > I had a drawing that I could post.Is cast iron very hard to machine or
        > is it like machining mild steel?I was thinking of using a piece of 1"
        > plate for the table and bolting on another piece of 1/2" plate after
        > milling it 60 degree's for the dovetail since I don't have a dovetail
        > cutter.Would it be ok to use a woodruff key seat cutter instead of a t
        > slot cutter?One last question,how do they cut a screw- driver slot in
        > 8/32 set screw?All reply's will be appreciated.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Howard

      • Mike Percy
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2000
          The folks at Metal Lathe Accessories referred me to Mr. Earl Bower of
          Connellsville, PA. Tel. No. 412-6286232. You might try him. Good luck!

          Mike Percy

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2000
            escarcega@... writes:

            << Is cast iron very hard to machine or
            > is it like machining mild steel? >>
            Machining cast iron is a joy (sometimes) Two things to watch for are "hard"
            or "chilled" spots in the casting which can break tools. If the casting is
            raw from the foundry there is often a shell of chilled iron where it was in
            contact with the mold. According to my experience (limited to some CI train
            wheels) you have to take a fairly deep cut to get under the "skin" for the
            first pass. Then it is a dusty process to machine the rest. No lubericant
            is needed as CI has graphite which lubes the cuts. Wipe down your lathe good
            after as the chips come off as a fine abrasive dust.
            John Meacham
          • ebower
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2000
              Thanks Percy,

              You can also reach me by email.

              ebower@...

              I will quote for you

              Earl Bower

            • lynn.chidester@xtp.varian.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2000
                Metal Lathe Accessories advertises that all their castings are treated so
                as not to have hard spots, and can be machined with ordinary tooling. And
                my experience with their products bears this out.

                Lynn C.

                "howard
                yoshida" To: atlas_craftsman@egroups.com
                <doogdoog@hawa cc:
                ii.rr.com> Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Atlas 12" cross slide kit

                09/01/00 12:09
                AM
                Please respond
                atlas_craftsma

[...]

              • Ronald Thibault
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2000
                  At 06:09 AM 9/1/00 +0000, you wrote:

                  >I came across this site named Metal Lathe and they sell various kits
                  >to make attachments for the lathe.I was wondering if anybody made
                  >a cross slide.The dimensions for the stock is 11 1/2" X 4" X 1 1/2".
                  >There is a 1 1/2" wide slot 1/2" deep running length wise.It says
                  >1/16" for machining allowance.How thick should it be for the top of
                  >the cross slide to the slot?The way I look at it comes out to 1/4"
                  >from the top of the table to the top of the slot and 1/4" for the slot
                  >and 1/4" from the bottom of the slot to the top of the dovetail which
                  >is 1/2"'s.The 1/16" is probably going to come from the top and the
                  >bottom so the top will not be exactly 1/4"'s.I hope the way I tried
                  >to explain it doesn't make your head spin.It would probably be better
                  >if I had a drawing that I could post.Is cast iron very hard to machine
                  >or is it like machining mild steel?I was thinking of using a piece
                  >of 1" plate for the table and bolting on another piece of 1/2" plate
                  >after milling it 60 degree's for the dovetail since I don't have a
                  >dovetail cutter.Would it be ok to use a woodruff key seat cutter
                  >instead of a t slot cutter?One last question,how do they cut a screw-
                  >driver slot in 8/32 set screw?All reply's will be appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  > Howard

                  I can help on the last one. Use a cutoff disk in a Dremel type tool, or
                  two disks stacked.

                  Ron Thibault
                  North Augusta, SC USA
                  Builder Miinie #2
                  Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
                  http://pages.prodigy.net/thibaultr/
                • Douglas Roger Dexheimer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 5, 2000
                    I purchased some rough castings from Metal Lathe a few weeks ago. I saw the
                    ad on the internet, and called the phone number posted. The parts I ordered
                    were shipped right away, and I received them the same week. The parts seem
                    to be well done, and the plans are not complex. Cast Iron castings seem to
                    be fine grain metal, with all the rough flashing and molded sprues, etc.
                    already ground off.
                    Regarding using a woodruff key cutter in lieu of a Tee-slot cutter, I would
                    say that that is a possibility. The problem we both have is holding the
                    casting at the right position to feed the casting past the rotating cutter.
                    This is the case for dovetails as well as for cutting the tee-slots. The
                    suggestion was made by phone, on the web site, and in the plans, to get
                    access to a milling machine to cut the dovetails and Tee-slots for the
                    initial part, after which you can cut your own slots, dovetails, etc. using
                    the milling adapter. I am still pondering the problem. Let me know if a
                    solution comes to mind.