Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: I just found some really hard steel

  • Elton E. (Tony) Clark
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1 2:32 PM
      *I get some useful shapes of metal as "drops" from various fabricators and
      machine shops who sell to my neighboring salvage yard. I was not pleased
      when I took some paint code marked ends to a machine shop fabricator
      expecting him to be able to tell me what I had. He said that unless one
      knows the supplier, steel color codes are not helpful in "typing" steel.
      Izzat true? There are no standard color codes?*
      *Tony*

      On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM, pflatlyne <pflatlyne@...> wrote:

      > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com<atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > Russ Kepler <russ@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Tuesday 30 December 2008 12:18:27 Michael Michalski wrote:
      > > > The manual of lathe operation says 70sfm is appropriate for
      > 4140,but that
      > > > may well be annealed. Its saying the machinability is 50% and Ive
      > read that
      > > > machinability for what I have is is around 10-20%. I tried it at about
      > > > 50rpm,that is lowest speed with the back gear,which gets about
      > 65sfm and it
      > > > cut,so I'm good to go. Its still damn hard to work and requires
      > very small
      > > > cuts. I think Ill get something easier to turn for what Im doing
      > now and
      > > > use this for something that needs this kind of material.
      > >
      > > A lot of 4140 is sold as "pre-hard", it's hardened then partially
      > annealed and
      > > useful as a die stock in that condition. It machines pretty much
      > like 1095,
      > > but comes off cleaner. It doesn't work harden noticeably, but with
      > a 6"
      > > lathe I'd use very sharp positive rake tooling and run pretty slow
      > at 50 sfm.
      > > It's a tough alloy for a small lathe.
      > >
      > Yea,its nice stuff though.I still haven't quite decided what to do
      > with it.

    • Michael Fagan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2 6:52 PM
        Yes, that is correct. Each company (and sometimes within the company)
        uses a different method. For example, my local metals supplier gets
        metal from two or three different companies, each with their own
        codes, then re-marks everything with their own code, which in some
        cases gets re-marked by the machine shops with their own codes.