Source for Longer Belt

  • Harry
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
      I am thinking about an under-bench motor setup for my 6 inch Mark II
      lathe. If I do this, I will need a longer 1/4 inch belt. Exact length
      unknown at this point.

      Can someone suggest a source?

      So far, 3/8 wide is the narrowest I can find.

      A Happy New Year to all!
    • Michael Fagan
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
        The 6" Atlas lathes use a 3L section belt, which is 3/8" wide. Unless
        the Mk II machines used a different setup, I'm pretty sure this is the
        belt you want to buy.

        On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Harry <hcapper@...> wrote:
        > I am thinking about an under-bench motor setup for my 6 inch Mark II
        > lathe. If I do this, I will need a longer 1/4 inch belt. Exact length
        > unknown at this point.
        >
        > Can someone suggest a source?
        >
        > So far, 3/8 wide is the narrowest I can find.
        >
        > A Happy New Year to all!

      • Harry
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
          I wish it were so. The belt on my machine, marked "278C", is 1/4"
          wide. I just checked the fit, and if a 3/8 wide belt was attempted to
          be installed, it it would interfere with the next larger pulley
          flange. In addition, it would not fit in the pulley grooves.

          Thanks. Looks like the Mark II is different than the older 6 inch ones.

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Fagan"
          <woodworker88@...> wrote:

          > The 6" Atlas lathes use a 3L section belt, which is 3/8" wide. Unless
          > the Mk II machines used a different setup, I'm pretty sure this is the
          > belt you want to buy.
          >
          > On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Harry <hcapper@...> wrote:
          > > I am thinking about an under-bench motor setup for my 6 inch Mark II
          > > lathe. If I do this, I will need a longer 1/4 inch belt. Exact length
          > > unknown at this point.
          > >
          > > Can someone suggest a source?
          > >
          > > So far, 3/8 wide is the narrowest I can find.
          > >
          > > A Happy New Year to all!

        • Michael Fagan
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
            alright, guess that won't work. sorry I can't help more

            On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Harry <hcapper@...> wrote:
            > I wish it were so. The belt on my machine, marked "278C", is 1/4"
            > wide. I just checked the fit, and if a 3/8 wide belt was attempted to
            > be installed, it it would interfere with the next larger pulley
            > flange. In addition, it would not fit in the pulley grooves.
            >
            > Thanks. Looks like the Mark II is different than the older 6 inch ones.
            >
            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Fagan"
            >
            > <woodworker88@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> The 6" Atlas lathes use a 3L section belt, which is 3/8" wide. Unless
            >> the Mk II machines used a different setup, I'm pretty sure this is the
            >> belt you want to buy.
            >>
            >> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Harry <hcapper@...> wrote:
            >> > I am thinking about an under-bench motor setup for my 6 inch Mark II
            >> > lathe. If I do this, I will need a longer 1/4 inch belt. Exact length
            >> > unknown at this point.
            >> >
            >> > Can someone suggest a source?
            >> >
            >> > So far, 3/8 wide is the narrowest I can find.
            >> >
            >> > A Happy New Year to all!

          • Robert Silas
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
              I wanted to install 3/8 Linkbelt on the Atlas 6", it looks that it's too
              wide. Measured the original V-belts, they seem to be 5/16 wide. I do not
              know if they just worn down. Is there such thing as 5/16" V-belt ???
              Robert

              alright, guess that won't work. sorry I can't help more

              On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Harry <hcapper@...> wrote:
              > I wish it were so. The belt on my machine, marked "278C", is 1/4"
              > wide. I just checked the fit, and if a 3/8 wide belt was attempted to
              > be installed, it it would interfere with the next larger pulley
              > flange. In addition, it would not fit in the pulley grooves.
              >
              > Thanks. Looks like the Mark II is different than the older 6 inch ones.
              >
              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Fagan"
              >
              > <woodworker88@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> The 6" Atlas lathes use a 3L section belt, which is 3/8" wide. Unless
              >> the Mk II machines used a different setup, I'm pretty sure this is the
              >> belt you want to buy.
              >>
              >> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Harry <hcapper@...> wrote:
              >> > I am thinking about an under-bench motor setup for my 6 inch Mark II
              >> > lathe. If I do this, I will need a longer 1/4 inch belt. Exact length
              >> > unknown at this point.
              >> >
              >> > Can someone suggest a source?
              >> >
              >> > So far, 3/8 wide is the narrowest I can find.
              >> >
              >> > A Happy New Year to all!

              8:44 AM
            • teabagger947
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
                I have a 618.3/8 seems too big,1/4 too small.Is there such a thing
                as a 5/16 belt,or metric that would fit better?
                Rob in CT,618,TH942,TH 954
                <woodworker88@...> wrote:

                > The 6" Atlas lathes use a 3L section belt, which is 3/8" wide.
                Unless
                > the Mk II machines used a different setup, I'm pretty sure this is
                the
                > belt you want to buy.
                >
                > On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Harry <hcapper@...> wrote:
                > > I am thinking about an under-bench motor setup for my 6 inch
                Mark II
                > > lathe. If I do this, I will need a longer 1/4 inch belt. Exact
                length
                > > unknown at this point.
                > >
                > > Can someone suggest a source?
                > >
                > > So far, 3/8 wide is the narrowest I can find.
                > >
                > > A Happy New Year to all!

              • Harry
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
                  I measured my belt with calipers and it is exactly 1/4 inch wide. It
                  fits perfectly in the pulleys, too. I think a 5/16, if there was such
                  a thing, would be too wide.

                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Robert Silas
                  <robert.silas@...> wrote:

                  > I wanted to install 3/8 Linkbelt on the Atlas 6", it looks that it's
                  too
                  > wide. Measured the original V-belts, they seem to be 5/16 wide. I
                  do not
                  > know if they just worn down. Is there such thing as 5/16" V-belt ???
                  > Robert

                  12/31/2008
                  > 8:44 AM

                • pflatlyne
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
                    I dont know about sources,but belts like these are described with
                    numbers like 2L,3L etc. These are belts for smaller machinery. The 3L
                    belts are used on the craftsman and atlas 618. A search of google will
                    find you more information. Among other things you will find
                    information on calculating the size of belt you will need. This has
                    some info.
                    http://books.google.com/books?id=7R1bDucTHeAC&pg=PA2414&lpg=PA2414&dq=2L+v+belt+size&source=web&ots=0wEJn8SNah&sig=_5UCmaUHab1PA_RkWxwBaVTCQ0c&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

                    The 1/4" cross section belt is a 2L

                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <hcapper@...> wrote:

                    > I am thinking about an under-bench motor setup for my 6 inch Mark II
                    > lathe. If I do this, I will need a longer 1/4 inch belt. Exact length
                    > unknown at this point.
                    >
                    > Can someone suggest a source?
                    >
                    > So far, 3/8 wide is the narrowest I can find.
                    >
                    > A Happy New Year to all!

                  • carvel webb
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
                      My original Maximat Compact lathe used 8mm belts , which is very close to
                      5/16" , so they do exist , Kind Regards,

                      Carvel

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
                        Thanks for the info.
                        Robert

                      • NuritheTurk@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
                          McMaster-Carr has the 1/4 inch belts. They are 2L in section and are what
                          came with my Blue Box in 1974. The longest they have is 38". Might be long
                          enough.

                          Turk

                          _http://www.mcmaster.com/_ (http://www.mcmaster.com/)

                          <NOBR>Part N _7881K36_
                          (http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP?tab=find&context=psrchDtlLink&fasttrack=False&searchstring=7881K36)
                          $5.53 Each
                          Form
                          Belts
                          Type
                          V-Belts
                          V-Belt Type
                          Standard
                          Standard V-Belt Type
                          Fractional Horsepower
                          Material
                          Rubber
                          Cord Material
                          Polyester
                          Outer Circle
                          38"
                          Trade Size
                          2L380
                          V-Belt Section
                          2L
                          Top Width
                          1/4"
                          Height
                          1/8"
                          Color
                          Black
                          Specifications Met
                          Not Rated

                          © 2009 McMaster-Carr Supply Company. All rights reserved.

                        • David Booth
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
                            On Thursday 01 January 2009, Harry wrote:
                            > I am thinking about an under-bench motor setup for my 6 inch Mark
                            > II lathe. If I do this, I will need a longer 1/4 inch belt. Exact
                            > length unknown at this point.
                            >
                            > Can someone suggest a source?
                            >
                            > So far, 3/8 wide is the narrowest I can find.
                            >
                            > A Happy New Year to all!

                            McMaster-Carr <www.mcmaster.com> has 1/4" belts in lengths up to 38
                            inches.
                          • Harry
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
                              David, Michael, Turk:

                              My thanks to you all. All of my searching did not turn up the belts,
                              mainly because I did not know of the 2L size designation. Now I can go
                              ahead with my plans with the confidence that I will be able to fit it
                              with a belt to match. I am sure I can do it within the 38 inch size limit.

                              I have ordered from McMaster Carr before...

                              The knowledge base within this group is truly amazing.

                              Harry in Harrisburg

                              ================

                              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "pflatlyne" <pflatlyne@...> wrote:

                              > I dont know about sources,but belts like these are described with
                              > numbers like 2L,3L etc. These are belts for smaller machinery. The 3L
                              > belts are used on the craftsman and atlas 618. A search of google will
                              > find you more information. Among other things you will find
                              > information on calculating the size of belt you will need. This has
                              > some info.

                              http://books.google.com/books?id=7R1bDucTHeAC&pg=PA2414&lpg=PA2414&dq=2L+v+belt+size&source=web&ots=0wEJn8SNah&sig=_5UCmaUHab1PA_RkWxwBaVTCQ0c&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

                              > The 1/4" cross section belt is a 2L
                              >
                              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <hcapper@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I am thinking about an under-bench motor setup for my 6 inch Mark II
                              > > lathe. If I do this, I will need a longer 1/4 inch belt. Exact length
                              > > unknown at this point.
                              > >
                              > > Can someone suggest a source?
                              > >
                              > > So far, 3/8 wide is the narrowest I can find.
                              > >
                              > > A Happy New Year to all!

                            • Michael Michalski
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
                                Knowing what something is called is often 90% of finding it. One time my boss told me to order some "bendix" connectors for the seismographs. I looked everywhere for them. It turns out they haven't been called that for years and the proper name for them was Mil-C-26482. When you look that up in Google they are available almost anywhere.

                                ________________________________

                                ============ ====

                                --- In atlas_craftsman@ yahoogroups. com, "pflatlyne" <pflatlyne@. ..> wrote:

                                > I dont know about sources,but belts like these are described with
                                > numbers like 2L,3L etc. These are belts for smaller machinery. The 3L
                                > belts are used on the craftsman and atlas 618. A search of google will
                                > find you more information. Among other things you will find
                                > information on calculating the size of belt you will need. This has
                                > some info.

                                http://books. google.com/ books?id= 7R1bDucTHeAC& pg=PA2414& lpg=PA2414& dq=2L+v+belt+ size&source= web&ots=0wEJn8SN ah&sig=_5UCmaUHa b1PA_RkWxwBaVTCQ 0c&hl=en& sa=X&oi=book_ result&resnum= 2&ct=result

                                > The 1/4" cross section belt is a 2L
                                >
                                > --- In atlas_craftsman@ yahoogroups. com, "Harry" <hcapper@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I am thinking about an under-bench motor setup for my 6 inch Mark II
                                > > lathe. If I do this, I will need a longer 1/4 inch belt. Exact length
                                > > unknown at this point.
                                > >
                                > > Can someone suggest a source?
                                > >
                                > > So far, 3/8 wide is the narrowest I can find.
                                > >
                                > > A Happy New Year to all!

                              • Harry
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 3, 2009
                                  Here where I live, a "Bendix" was always used to refer to the on-way
                                  clutch over-ride mechanism on the end of an automotive starter motor.
                                  Originally invented by the Bendix corporation, I suppose.

                                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Michael Michalski