My new lathe

  • R10440P@Gateway.Net
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 23, 2000
      Hello. I don't mean to sound stupid, but I need to replace my belt on
      the TH48 lathe that I just bought saturday and I can't figure out how
      to remove the key under the large backgear so I can slide the spindle
      out. The key hits the bearing cover on the right and I can't seem to
      slide things to the left either. I'm trying to go easy as to not
      damage anything but my big hammer is looking tempting. Help! I
      ordered a manual from Clausing on Monday but it hasn't arrived yet.
      Also--should I order the belt from Clausing or can I match up a belt
      at the local auto parts store? Thanks, Rick
    • J-Charles Godin
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 24, 2000
        - Rick,
        You can go to the "Links" section for this egroup and click on the
        "Atlas Lathe Service Bulletin" to see how to replace a v-belt.
        J-Charles
        -

      • m.becker@mindspring.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 24, 2000
          Boy, am I ever glad I had the book on how to do that! Definately wait
          and use the instructions unless you are good at Rubiks cube type
          stuff. I just spent 9 monthes totally disassembling my 12 x 36 and
          the Atlas/Clausing site mentioned by other post here was great help
          as well as the books I've accumulated with this lathe(Sears exploded
          view/Atlas manual). Good luck, and I used auto belts on mine and they
          work nice. Manual emphasizes running belts a bit loose as 'V' belts
          can run that way. Bushings on drive/counter shafts will like that!
          alan in ga.
        • Ronald Thibault
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 27, 2000
            At 10:57 PM 8/23/00 +0000, you wrote:
            >Hello. I don't mean to sound stupid, but I need to replace my belt on
            >the TH48 lathe that I just bought saturday and I can't figure out how
            >to remove the key under the large backgear so I can slide the spindle
            >out. The key hits the bearing cover on the right and I can't seem to
            >slide things to the left either. I'm trying to go easy as to not
            >damage anything but my big hammer is looking tempting. Help! I
            >ordered a manual from Clausing on Monday but it hasn't arrived yet.
            >Also--should I order the belt from Clausing or can I match up a belt
            >at the local auto parts store? Thanks, Rick

            That key is the most troublesome part to get out,an extra 1/4"
            would have been helpful. The key is a half-moon shape. I get the bull
            gear as far back as possible, then use a screwdriver at the face of the
            gear to gently rotate the key in its' slot. Then I use a long shank thin
            blade screwdriver to pry up the other end of the key. I repeat this until
            it is loose enough to pull out with a pair of needle nose pliers.
            To get it back in I put the key in and tap the end toward the gear
            down slightly (forming a slight ramp). This gives a little bit of play
            when you first try to engage the key. As the gear is slid the rest of the
            way on, the key will rotate into position.

            Ron Thibault
            North Augusta, SC USA
            Builder Miinie #2
            Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
            http://pages.prodigy.net/thibaultr/
          • gbowne
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
              Dear Newsgroup members

              I just purchased a Sears / Craftsman / Atlas metalworking lathe.

              The Model No. is 109.0703

              I would like some specifications, parts lists, manuals,
              accessories, and any other pertinent
              information on this lathe. It is a blue color, besides being very
              old, well used, and quite dirty.

              I will be spending the entire fall and winter cleaning this lathe,
              restoring it, purchasing tooling
              and parts and other items for it to make this machine a more stable
              home in my workshop.

              The only accessory I got with this lathe is the faceplate, but it
              also does have a small 4 jaw chuck.

              The lathe does have a belt pulley system which has 4 different
              pulley sizes.

              Can Anyone tell me:

              1) The accurate or approximate age of the lathe
              2) Spindle Specifications
              3) Tooling and Insert recommendations, 1/4" Shank (???)
              4) Recomended lubricant(s)

              Thanks,
              Gregory Bowne
              Precision PressWork, Inc.
              1111 N.E. 80th St.
              Seattle, WA 98115-4348
              1(206)524-1185
            • Greg Wise
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
                Hello Gregory, the lathe you have sounds like it is probably from about
                1949. I you check on Ebay a seller called centaurus7 is selling manuals for
                these lathes. I ordered one from him last week. the spindles are #0 morse
                taper, the head stock spindle probadly has 1/2"x 20threads per inch. I think
                centaurus7 could be of great help to you,he offered to help me in any way he
                could,seems like a good guy.
                Hope This Helps! Greg Wise.

                http://profiles.msn.com
              • catboat15@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
                  In a message dated 10/1/00 6:55:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  gbowne@... writes:

                  << I would like some specifications, parts lists, manuals,
                  accessories, and any other pertinent >>

                  Hi Gregory:
                  Call Clausing at (219) 533-0371. I talked to a lady named Jolene Olds in the
                  Customer Service department and got both the manual and the Sears parts list
                  for about $25 or $30 bucks for my 12 X 36 model 101.07403 Craftsman/Atlas.
                  Their website is http://clausing-industrial.com
                  John Meacham
                • Randall L. Pedersen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
                    Gregory:

                    Check out the AA.docs file at the RCM drop box http://www.metalworking.com - /dropbox/ .

                    Clausing does not support these lathes and has no parts for them there are some people on this list that do support them plus you can sometimes find parts and acces. on ebay.

                    Randy

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
                      gbowne wrote:

                      > Dear Newsgroup members
                      >
                      > I just purchased a Sears / Craftsman / Atlas metalworking lathe.
                      >
                      > The Model No. is 109.0703
                      >
                      > I would like some specifications, parts lists, manuals,
                      > accessories, and any other pertinent
                      > information on this lathe. It is a blue color, besides being very
                      > old, well used, and quite dirty.
                      >
                      > I will be spending the entire fall and winter cleaning this lathe,
                      > restoring it, purchasing tooling
                      > and parts and other items for it to make this machine a more stable
                      > home in my workshop.
                      >
                      > The only accessory I got with this lathe is the faceplate, but it
                      > also does have a small 4 jaw chuck.
                      >
                      > The lathe does have a belt pulley system which has 4 different
                      > pulley sizes.
                      >
                      > Can Anyone tell me:
                      >
                      > 1) The accurate or approximate age of the lathe
                      > 2) Spindle Specifications
                      > 3) Tooling and Insert recommendations, 1/4" Shank (???)
                      > 4) Recomended lubricant(s)
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Gregory Bowne
                      > Precision PressWork, Inc.
                      > 1111 N.E. 80th St.
                      > Seattle, WA 98115-4348
                      > 1(206)524-1185
                      gregory.i am also a newbie,and these old 109 lathes were being made by
                      1950,but ive heard the color (blue vs grey can help with age
                      determination.i hope those who respond to your request post the
                      sometimes used as a lubricant for aluminum,and the guy who owned my
                      lathe said use "high sulfur oil(whatever that is )on heavy steel
                      cutting,and i was also told on light small cuts using no lubricant is ok
                      would it be difficult or unacceptable to forward me some of the e mail
                      response info...thanks...melvin.....mmckinne@...
                    • gbowne
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 3, 2000
                        Dear Newsgroup memers,

                        I am now on the third day of owning my 109.0703, and have come up
                        with some good insight into its history, use and some other good
                        information, thanks to the atlas group and RCM.

                        Here are todays little remarks about things I've found out and the
                        questions I have.

                        1) Using 1/4" shank brazed carbide tool bits. How well can they be
                        used? Along time ago Carboloy
                        was a favorite maker of these tool bits.

                        2) What, excuse my ignorance, is the proper dimension of a #0 M.T.
                        a) could someone supply an AutoCAD .dxf drawing of the original
                        centers for the 109 series lathes?
                        b) or drawings of sherline centers?

                        3) Aloris has a Model A2 tool post in their catalog, much similar to
                        the AXA, but reduced weight
                        and possibly reduced size. Is this a good choice for an
                        alternative toolpost?

                        4) What lubricants would have anti-wear properties on bronze,
                        especially bronze bushings and bearings?

                        5) What contributes to using Kerosene and High Sulfur Oil for
                        cutting oil, as opposed to high tech cutting
                        lubricants, like Valenites TurnTech or ValCool?

                        6) what about using very sharp carbide inserts in a small 1/4" shank
                        indexable tool? There are some
                        neat ROUSE ones and other similar tools in HSM very often.

                        7) What are the differences in the 109.0701 and the 109.0702 and the
                        109.0703, except the sequenitial
                        model number? Where would a serial number or date code be
                        located on these?

                        8) My 109.0703 lathe looks like the 109.2063 shown on the page at:

                        http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/index.html

                        It is on the page where it mentions the Dunlap and the 109.2063.
                        Mine is a very nice blue color.

                        9) Does anyone have tips on poducing very good finishes on theses
                        lathes, without chatter? Personally,
                        I like finishes between 125 and 250 uui, which are quite common
                        but still very general finish specs on
                        drawings.

                        10) What are the best shapes to grind HSS lathe tool bits? Are
                        there any good drawings or pictures of
                        the shapes to use?

                        Thats about as far as I got today..

                        Thanks,
                        Gregory Bowne
                        Precision PressWork, Inc.
                        Seattle, WA
                        gbowne@...
                        gbowne2031@...
                      • J Tiers
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 3, 2000
                          The UK site has added more info, which is mostly correct, as far as I know.
                          One difference is that my 109-20630 is marked Craftsman, and it appears the
                          UK site says they were all Dunlap. Anyhow, more comments marked by
                          ********
                          > I am now on the third day of owning my 109.0703, and have come up
                          >with some good insight into its history, use and some other good
                          >information, thanks to the atlas group and RCM.
                          >
                          > Here are todays little remarks about things I've found out and the
                          >questions I have.
                          >
                          > 1) Using 1/4" shank brazed carbide tool bits. How well can they be
                          >used? Along time ago Carboloy
                          > was a favorite maker of these tool bits.

                          **********Suggest that 3/8 toolbits are better and reduce flex a hair. But
                          you will have to make a tool block to replace the lantern holder, which is
                          frankly worth little on the AA, as it makes the flex worse.

                          > 2) What, excuse my ignorance, is the proper dimension of a #0 M.T.
                          > a) could someone supply an AutoCAD .dxf drawing of the original
                          >centers for the 109 series lathes?
                          > b) or drawings of sherline centers?

                          *************No need for drawings, the centers are simple. 60 degree center
                          cone, socket taper 0.625 per foot. On my original centers large end was
                          0.345 diameter, on new 0.360
                          length of old center was 1.630 from end of 60 deg to end of morse taper.
                          On new, there is a straight portion, but taper is 2" long exactly. New will
                          stick out past faceplate etc due to 0.550 straight portion.

                          **********Oil, mostly! :)

                          > 5) What contributes to using Kerosene and High Sulfur Oil for
                          >cutting oil, as opposed to high tech cutting
                          > lubricants, like Valenites TurnTech or ValCool?

                          *************Availability and the liking for stenches and flammable
                          substances, I guess, I tend to use cutting oil for threading, and my
                          leftovers of 20 and 30 wt for cutting, but that is on a larger lathe.

                          > 6) what about using very sharp carbide inserts in a small 1/4"
                          shank
                          >indexable tool? There are some
                          > neat ROUSE ones and other similar tools in HSM very often.

                          ***************I bought some Interstate 1/2 " 3/8 IC insert tooling and
                          have been happy with it. No trouble with it on larger machine, did not use
                          on 109. Old brazed stuff I used on the 109 also worked, it seems to be in
                          the sharpening, center, and angle, as usual.
                          Biggest problem is sharpness, as you cannot work carbide as hard on the
                          little 109 and it can get rubbed dull quickly.

                          > 7) What are the differences in the 109.0701 and the 109.0702 and
                          the
                          >109.0703, except the sequenitial
                          > model number? Where would a serial number or date code be
                          >located on these?
                          >
                          > 8) My 109.0703 lathe looks like the 109.2063 shown on the page at:
                          >
                          > http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/index.html
                          >
                          > It is on the page where it mentions the Dunlap and the
                          109.2063.
                          >Mine is a very nice blue color.

                          *************The only blue ones I have seen were really lightweight with 12
                          and 18" between centers, thin bed, light everything. The 20630 looked to
                          weigh twice as much.
                          Puzzled now, I don't know what the dates etc are.

                          > 9) Does anyone have tips on poducing very good finishes on theses
                          >lathes, without chatter? Personally,
                          > I like finishes between 125 and 250 uui, which are quite common
                          >but still very general finish specs on
                          > drawings.

                          *************Cutting oil and a follower rest, sharp bits, light feed, never
                          let anything stick out more than 1/2 Inch unsupported.

                          > 10) What are the best shapes to grind HSS lathe tool bits? Are
                          >there any good drawings or pictures of
                          > the shapes to use?

                          > Thats about as far as I got today..
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Gregory Bowne
                          > Precision PressWork, Inc.
                          > Seattle, WA
                          > gbowne@...
                          > gbowne2031@...

                        • Mike Spring
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 5, 2000
                            Greg: some more thoughts on the AA and your questions:

                            1) Using 1/4" shank brazed carbide tool bits. How well can they be
                            used? ---I picked up a small set of these from Harbor Freight and have
                            used them a little on my 109-21270. They cut well and smoothly, but are
                            brittle like several have reported.

                            2) What, excuse my ignorance, is the proper dimension of a #0 M.T? ---Log
                            onto Victor Machinery Exchange website www.victornet.com. They have several
                            reference works you can access and down load. they include standard
                            dimensions for Morse, Jacobs and Brown and Sharpe tapers, decimal
                            equivalents and tap drill sizes. Good Stuff!

                            3) Aloris has a Model A2 tool post in their catalog, much similar to
                            the AXA, but reduced weight and possibly reduced size. Is this a good
                            choice for an
                            alternative toolpost? ---I think some have written that the AA compound to
                            spindle distance is too short for most of the quick change tool posts. The
                            post described in the AAdocs file is pretty simple and rigid enough for good
                            use.