New to the club

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
      Earlier this week I went and picked up my first Craftsman 12"x36"
      late. I didn't look up the serial number yet, but the model number is
      101-27440 which puts it in the early to mid 1950's from what I've
      seen. It was missing the 3-jaw chuck and follow rest, but had most
      everything else included. The ways are in excellent shape, so I didn't
      feel too bad about paying $925.00 for the unit. The price might have
      been on the high end, but lathes are nearly impossible to come by here
      in NE Tennessee and with the ways as nice looking as they are I didn't
      feel that I did too badly. I had to drive 100 miles to get this one.

      The belts are Atlas belts and seem to be in good condition.

      I don't have the motor information yet but will be looking it up as I
      progress in cleaning up the lathe. I have seen some lathes with a
      reversing switch. Did some of this model of lathe come with a
      reversible motor? It is probably not a necessity, but having a reverse
      would be handy for some tapping work that I expect to be doing.

      Thanks
      John
    • Michael Michalski
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
        Ive noticed that machine tool availability seems very regional. When I lived in sacramento,I looked into getting a bridgeport milling machine and ended up with a cheap Chinese knee mill (which I never ended up putting together anyway). Bridgeports (this was about 6 or 7 years ago) were many thousands more than I could afford. Now Im here in Ohio and Ive seen them on occasion for around 800. I think its due to all the manufacturing here. Of course its probobally also do to all the manufacturers going under. I went to a surplus equipment dealer last month (and found a really nice little atlas branded (they are sold by Dake now) arbor press) and they had a giant pile of equipment,all 1/2 off or more with a big sign that said "Chrysler Corner". It was actually kind of depressing realizing that the bountifull and cheap equipment was due to the melt down of the US manufacturing economy.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
          On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Michael Michalski <pflatlyne@...>wrote:

          > Ive noticed that machine tool availability seems very regional. When I
          > lived in sacramento,I looked into getting a bridgeport milling machine and
          > ended up with a cheap Chinese knee mill (which I never ended up putting
          > together anyway). Bridgeports (this was about 6 or 7 years ago) were many
          > thousands more than I could afford. Now Im here in Ohio and Ive seen them on
          > occasion for around 800. I think its due to all the manufacturing here. Of
          > course its probobally also do to all the manufacturers going under. I went
          > to a surplus equipment dealer last month (and found a really nice little
          > atlas branded (they are sold by Dake now) arbor press) and they had a giant
          > pile of equipment,all 1/2 off or more with a big sign that said "Chrysler
          > Corner". It was actually kind of depressing realizing that the bountifull
          > and cheap equipment was due to the melt down of the US manufacturing
          > economy.
          >

          > .
          >
          > __,_._,_

          Equipment availability varies widely by region. It's hard to find any
          decent machine tools in the Dallas area. I got my Atlas 12x36 for $700 with
          some tooling and considered myself lucky. If I ever ran across a Bridgeport
          for $800 I'd be all over it. I paid $1375 for my Clausing 8520 and for this
          area I got a real deal.

          James in Dallas

          --
          www.blackcube.org - The Texas State Home for Wayward and Orphaned Computers

        • Joe R
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
            James.

            I think for any area you got a real deal on your Atlas/Clausing 8520. They
            bring more then Bridgeport's around here in Ohio.

            Joe R

            > Equipment availability varies widely by region. It's hard to find any
            > decent machine tools in the Dallas area. I got my Atlas 12x36 for $700
            > with
            > some tooling and considered myself lucky. If I ever ran across a
            > Bridgeport
            > for $800 I'd be all over it. I paid $1375 for my Clausing 8520 and for
            > this
            > area I got a real deal.
            >
            > James in Dallas

          • pflatlyne
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "James Rice" <james.rice@...>
              wrote:

              > On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Michael Michalski <pflatlyne@...>wrote:
              >
              > > Ive noticed that machine tool availability seems very regional.
              When I
              > > lived in sacramento,I looked into getting a bridgeport milling
              machine and
              > > ended up with a cheap Chinese knee mill (which I never ended up
              putting
              > > together anyway). Bridgeports (this was about 6 or 7 years ago)
              were many
              > > thousands more than I could afford. Now Im here in Ohio and Ive
              seen them on
              > > occasion for around 800. I think its due to all the manufacturing
              here. Of
              > > course its probobally also do to all the manufacturers going
              under. I went
              > > to a surplus equipment dealer last month (and found a really nice
              little
              > > atlas branded (they are sold by Dake now) arbor press) and they
              had a giant
              > > pile of equipment,all 1/2 off or more with a big sign that said
              "Chrysler
              > > Corner". It was actually kind of depressing realizing that the
              bountifull
              > > and cheap equipment was due to the melt down of the US manufacturing
              > > economy.
              > >

              > > .
              > >
              > > __,_._,_
              > >

              > Equipment availability varies widely by region. It's hard to find any
              > decent machine tools in the Dallas area. I got my Atlas 12x36 for
              $700 with
              > some tooling and considered myself lucky. If I ever ran across a
              Bridgeport
              > for $800 I'd be all over it. I paid $1375 for my Clausing 8520 and
              for this
              > area I got a real deal.
              >
              > James in Dallas
              >
              > --
              > www.blackcube.org - The Texas State Home for Wayward and Orphaned
              Computers

              Ive actually considered the idea that anyone who was to buy machines
              in these manufacturing areas and ship them to other regions could
              conceivably make quite a bit of money.