Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Got myself an Atlas 618

  • Steve G.
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
      I understand that one. I ordered the tool post and holders and a dial indicator, but now due to selling off the parts from another lathe I had, I have the money for a three jaw chuck with back plate and a live center. So I'm going back to the site today. I about have the tooling I need to get started using my lathe, but I'm sure I'll be buying more as I figure out things I need.......... Or possibly making them as time goes along.
      From: Steve G. <steveg@...>
      To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 9:59 AM

      I meant to post that mine was from Little Machine Shop........ .. It's the aluminum one and they offer an exact fit. http://www.littlema chineshop. com/products/ product_view. php?ProductID= 2486&category= -419988835
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
        On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Steve G. <steveg@...> wrote:

        > I understand that one. I ordered the tool post and holders and a dial
        > indicator, but now due to selling off the parts from another lathe I had, I
        > have the money for a three jaw chuck with back plate and a live center. So
        > I'm going back to the site today. I about have the tooling I need to get
        > started using my lathe, but I'm sure I'll be buying more as I figure out
        > things I need.......... Or possibly making them as time goes along.
        > .

        I can relate to that one. My wife thinks that all I do in the shop is make
        tools to make more tools. And to this point she is right.

        My most recent case: Buying a Delta Toolmaker surface grinder. It needs
        some more wheel adapters which cost in excess of $100 ea commercially. So I
        plan to make some on the Atlas but they require a 3:12 taper, so this
        requires me to make a taper attachment which was in my to do list. But now
        I have a compelling reason to do so. Plus I need to learn to thread now so
        I can thread the 1.25x16 RH thread of the adapter nose and the matching
        internal thread of the retaining nut. I'm sure that this will require a
        shopping experience at Enco/Shars/KBC/Wholesale Tool plus some retail
        therapy at Metal Express/Metals4U for material.

        James

        --
        www.blackcube.org - The Texas State Home for Wayward and Orphaned Computers

      • Robert Silas
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
          The thread you mention sounds like a metric thread od M16x1.25 right hand, I
          suggest to buy a die for it, ENCO has all that.
          Robert
          (1.25x16 RH ) you wrote

          > I understand that one. I ordered the tool post and holders and a dial
          > indicator, but now due to selling off the parts from another lathe I had,
          > have the money for a three jaw chuck with back plate and a live center. So
          > I'm going back to the site today. I about have the tooling I need to get
          > started using my lathe, but I'm sure I'll be buying more as I figure out
          > things I need.......... Or possibly making them as time goes along.
          > .

          I can relate to that one. My wife thinks that all I do in the shop is make
          tools to make more tools. And to this point she is right.

          My most recent case: Buying a Delta Toolmaker surface grinder. It needs
          some more wheel adapters which cost in excess of $100 ea commercially. So I
          plan to make some on the Atlas but they require a 3:12 taper, so this
          requires me to make a taper attachment which was in my to do list. But now
          I have a compelling reason to do so. Plus I need to learn to thread now so
          I can thread the 1.25x16 RH thread of the adapter nose and the matching
          internal thread of the retaining nut. I'm sure that this will require a
          shopping experience at Enco/Shars/KBC/Wholesale Tool plus some retail
          therapy at Metal Express/Metals4U for material.

          James

          --
          www.blackcube.org - The Texas State Home for Wayward and Orphaned Computers

          6:52 PM
        • ant30dio
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
            Heck, you cant beat that set for that price.
            Hope it's still on sale when I get my Atlas ;)
            Thanks, Tony

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "A. W." <aw11inva@...> wrote:

            > Oh wow what a great site!! I bought that starter kit with the tool
            post you mentioned with the holders, drill chuck w/ arbor and some
            other random cutting tools. They had it all as a kit for $159.00 on
            sale!! I had to walk away from that site i would have bought more HAHA

          • pflatlyne
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "n5kzw" <n5kzw@...> wrote:

              > Welcome to the group, Matt. There is also a group specific to the
              > Atlas 618.
              >
              > Hold on to that 4-jaw chuck. While I have a couple of 3-jaw chucks, I
              > use the 4-jaw on about 40% of the jobs I run because I can dial it in
              > to very little run out on the workpiece. With two wrenches, it is very
              > easy to quickly center the piece.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Ed

              I agree,I don't have a 4 jaw chuck and there have been a bunch of
              times I wish I had one for both situations where I need very little
              run out and turning square parts or stock.