Do you think this chuck would be decent (for the 109.)

  • ant30dio
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2008
      Its on e bay, $30.00 plus $10.00 shipping, and I would still have to
      make a back plate.

      http://tinyurl.com/69xzq8

      My quuestion too is, "If he is selling this for $30.00, then he has to
      be getting it somewhere for $20.00, or even less"
      But where?
      I don't want to put a bunch of money in this machine right now.
      Thanks, Tony
    • David Booth
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2008
        On Tuesday 04 November 2008, you wrote:
        > Its on e bay, $30.00 plus $10.00 shipping, and I would still have
        > to make a back plate.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/69xzq8
        >
        > My quuestion too is, "If he is selling this for $30.00, then he has
        > to be getting it somewhere for $20.00, or even less"
        > But where?
        > I don't want to put a bunch of money in this machine right now.
        > Thanks, Tony

        Could it be a wood chuck similar to

        http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/13775/nm/6_4_Jaw_Independent_Wood_Lathe_Chucks_WT_Import_
      • Exibar
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2008
          What is the difference between a wood chuck and a meal chuck.... it looks
          the same...

          although shipping weight *must* be wrong on that item... it says 1 pound
          LOL

          Mike B

          _____

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2008
            On Tuesday 04 November 2008, Exibar wrote:
            > What is the difference between a wood chuck and a meal chuck.... it
            > looks the same...
            >
            > although shipping weight *must* be wrong on that item... it says 1
            > pound LOL
            >
            > Mike B

            In my limited experience with wood lathes, the wood chucks are not
            very precise (not as important on an independent 4-jaw) and not very
            stoutly built. Looking further at the ebay picture, it looks like it
            might be the same chuck that LittleMachineShop sells based on the
            partially visible blue label in the picture.

            c.f.

            http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1175&category=566826475

            if that is the case, then the $30 price looks pretty good but you
            never really know.
          • oldstudentmsgt
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2008
              Folks, the emblem (what can be seen of it) on that ebay chuck looks
              like the emblem on my HF 93212 3-Jaw chuck, so it might work for a
              metal lathe. Maybe. The jury isn't in yet on mine, after all. I've
              cut 5 pieces on the lathe, and the first two were failures, but as
              you can see from the number of pieces I've cut, I'm not terribly
              experienced in this metal-cutting lathe stuff. The last two pieces
              came out ok, and the third one is still in progress. I'm seasoning
              the aluminum casting before I finish machining it. That's my story,
              and I'm sticking to it... ;)

              Bill in OKC

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, David Booth <davidb@...>

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2008
                wrote:

                > On Tuesday 04 November 2008, you wrote:
                > > Its on e bay, $30.00 plus $10.00 shipping, and I would still have
                > > to make a back plate.
                > >
                > > http://tinyurl.com/69xzq8
                > >
                > > My quuestion too is, "If he is selling this for $30.00, then he
                has
                > > to be getting it somewhere for $20.00, or even less"
                > > But where?
                > > I don't want to put a bunch of money in this machine right now.
                > > Thanks, Tony
                > >
                > Could it be a wood chuck similar to
                >
                > http://www.wttool.com/product-
                exec/product_id/13775/nm/6_4_Jaw_Independent_Wood_Lathe_Chucks_WT_Impo
                rt_
                hell thats a decent price, but it has the threads built into it.
                Too bad I dont have the 3/4" shaft, it would work.
                Tony
              • ant30dio
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2008
                  what is the shaft/thread size on the HF lathe.
                  I was in a HF store this weekend in pittsburgh, and asked about the
                  chucks on there mini lathe, she acted like she didn't want to be
                  bothered, and told me they didn't have them.
                  Tony

                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "oldstudentmsgt"
                  <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

                  > Folks, the emblem (what can be seen of it) on that ebay chuck looks
                  > like the emblem on my HF 93212 3-Jaw chuck, so it might work for a
                  > metal lathe. Maybe. The jury isn't in yet on mine, after all. I've
                  > cut 5 pieces on the lathe, and the first two were failures, but as
                  > you can see from the number of pieces I've cut, I'm not terribly
                  > experienced in this metal-cutting lathe stuff. The last two pieces
                  > came out ok, and the third one is still in progress. I'm seasoning
                  > the aluminum casting before I finish machining it. That's my story,
                  > and I'm sticking to it... ;)

                • ant30dio
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2008
                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, David Booth <davidb@...> > >
                    Mike B

                    > In my limited experience with wood lathes, the wood chucks are not
                    > very precise (not as important on an independent 4-jaw) and not very
                    > stoutly built. Looking further at the ebay picture, it looks like it
                    > might be the same chuck that LittleMachineShop sells based on the
                    > partially visible blue label in the picture.
                    >
                    > c.f.
                    >
                    > http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?
                    ProductID=1175&category=566826475

                    > if that is the case, then the $30 price looks pretty good but you
                    > never really know.

                    Yes it does look lile it.
                    Yes, If I ma only doing to have 1 chuck for now, I would rather it be
                    the 4 jaw.
                    Thanks, Tony
                  • oldstudentmsgt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2008
                      Tony, the HF lathes don't have a threaded shaft on the spindle. They
                      have a flanged spindle.
                      Here's a drawing of it:
                      <http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/drawings/1341Spindle7x12.pd
                      f>

                      Here is a faceplate for one of the Little Machine Shop backplates
                      that will fit a TH42 lathe, btw. This might help you, too.

                      <http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?
                      ProductID=1792>

                      Here is a chart of the backplates they have, too.
                      <http://www.littlemachineshop.com/info/chuckadapters.php>

                      HF stores are different from HF mailorder company, according to my
                      local HF manager. They do have a toll-free tech support line you can
                      call for parts for their equipment, and the HF lathes have PDF
                      manuals you can download. For example, this is the one I have:

                      <http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?
                      Itemnumber=93212>

                      The pdf file is accessed by the little green button mid-way down the
                      screen. Their customer service line is 1-800-444-3353. I think that
                      is also their customer support line. Hope this info is of some help.

                      Bill in OKC

                      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "ant30dio" <ant30dio@...>
                      wrote:

                      > what is the shaft/thread size on the HF lathe.
                      > I was in a HF store this weekend in pittsburgh, and asked about the
                      > chucks on there mini lathe, she acted like she didn't want to be
                      > bothered, and told me they didn't have them.
                      > Tony
                      >
                      > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "oldstudentmsgt"
                      > <wmrmeyers@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Folks, the emblem (what can be seen of it) on that ebay chuck
                      looks
                      > > like the emblem on my HF 93212 3-Jaw chuck, so it might work for
                      > > metal lathe. Maybe. The jury isn't in yet on mine, after all.
                      I've
                      > > cut 5 pieces on the lathe, and the first two were failures, but
                      as
                      > > you can see from the number of pieces I've cut, I'm not terribly
                      > > experienced in this metal-cutting lathe stuff. The last two
                      pieces
                      > > came out ok, and the third one is still in progress. I'm
                      seasoning
                      > > the aluminum casting before I finish machining it. That's my
                      story,
                      > > and I'm sticking to it... ;)

                    • ant30dio
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 5, 2008
                        Yeah, I saved the back plate drawing for reference.
                        But the close'st they have is a 3/4" X 16 TPI.
                        I might have a little 3 jaw coming from a fellow on the Logan group.
                        Thanks, Tony

                        <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

                        > Tony, the HF lathes don't have a threaded shaft on the spindle.
                        They
                        > have a flanged spindle.
                        > Here's a drawing of it:

                        <http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/drawings/1341Spindle7x12.pd
                        > f>
                        >
                        > Here is a faceplate for one of the Little Machine Shop backplates
                        > that will fit a TH42 lathe, btw. This might help you, too.
                        >
                        > <http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?
                        > ProductID=1792>
                        >

                        > Here is a chart of the backplates they have, too.
                        > <http://www.littlemachineshop.com/info/chuckadapters.php>
                        >
                        > HF stores are different from HF mailorder company, according to my
                        > local HF manager. They do have a toll-free tech support line you
                        can
                        > call for parts for their equipment, and the HF lathes have PDF
                        > manuals you can download. For example, this is the one I have:
                        >
                        > <http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?
                        > Itemnumber=93212>
                        >
                        > The pdf file is accessed by the little green button mid-way down
                        the
                        > screen. Their customer service line is 1-800-444-3353. I think that
                        > is also their customer support line. Hope this info is of some
                        help.

                        > Bill in OKC
                        >
                        > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "ant30dio" <ant30dio@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > what is the shaft/thread size on the HF lathe.
                        > > I was in a HF store this weekend in pittsburgh, and asked about
                        the
                        > > chucks on there mini lathe, she acted like she didn't want to be
                        > > bothered, and told me they didn't have them.
                        > > Tony
                        > >
                        > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "oldstudentmsgt"
                        > > <wmrmeyers@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Folks, the emblem (what can be seen of it) on that ebay chuck
                        > looks
                        > > > like the emblem on my HF 93212 3-Jaw chuck, so it might work
                        for
                        > > > metal lathe. Maybe. The jury isn't in yet on mine, after all.
                        > I've
                        > > > cut 5 pieces on the lathe, and the first two were failures, but
                        > as
                        > > > you can see from the number of pieces I've cut, I'm not
                        terribly
                        > > > experienced in this metal-cutting lathe stuff. The last two
                        > pieces
                        > > > came out ok, and the third one is still in progress. I'm
                        > seasoning
                        > > > the aluminum casting before I finish machining it. That's my
                        > story,
                        > > > and I'm sticking to it... ;)

                      • pflatlyne
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 5, 2008
                          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "ant30dio" <ant30dio@...> wrote:

                          > Yeah, I saved the back plate drawing for reference.
                          > But the close'st they have is a 3/4" X 16 TPI.
                          > I might have a little 3 jaw coming from a fellow on the Logan

                          Wouldnt it be possible to get a piece of rod,face one end nice and
                          true,then cut a 3/4-16 thread on the other, with a shoulder that mates
                          up to the chuck.(maybe 1/8" thick or so.) Then drill and tap the other
                          end (the one you faced good and flat) with a 1/2" thread to mate with
                          the spindle.
                        • ant30dio
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 6, 2008
                            Sort of an spindle adaptor. Sure, I'm sure it could be done. A few
                            of the firms even sell such an item for wood lathes, like for my
                            hard (er) to come by Oliver wood lathe, with it's 1 1/8" X 8 TPI
                            spindle, so I could mount like say a common 1 X 8 TPI chuck or
                            faceplate on it.
                            At this point, I am not experienced enough to want to be cutting such
                            a thread on this lathe. The "Catch 22" of course is also, I have no
                            chuck to mount the stock in.
                            Good suggestion though.
                            I am still looking also for 1 or 2 0 Morse tapers from the 109 series.
                            The ones at Home supply Bill has are a "true 0 Morse taper",and will
                            not fit these machines properly.
                            Thanks, Tony

                            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "pflatlyne" <pflatlyne@...>
                            wrote:

                            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "ant30dio" <ant30dio@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Yeah, I saved the back plate drawing for reference.
                            > > But the close'st they have is a 3/4" X 16 TPI.
                            > > I might have a little 3 jaw coming from a fellow on the Logan
                            >
                            > Wouldnt it be possible to get a piece of rod,face one end nice and
                            > true,then cut a 3/4-16 thread on the other, with a shoulder that mates
                            > up to the chuck.(maybe 1/8" thick or so.) Then drill and tap the other
                            > end (the one you faced good and flat) with a 1/2" thread to mate with
                            > the spindle.

                          • Al Basham
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 6, 2008
                              Why not rethread the 1 1/8" x 8 spindle to a 1" x 8. Adapters are sometimes
                              a PIN.
                              Good Luck .... Al Basham

                              _____

                              --- In atlas_craftsman@ <mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com>
                              wrote:

                              > --- In atlas_craftsman@ <mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com>
                              yahoogroups.com, "ant30dio" <ant30dio@> wrote:

                              > > Yeah, I saved the back plate drawing for reference.
                              > > But the close'st they have is a 3/4" X 16 TPI.
                              > > I might have a little 3 jaw coming from a fellow on the Logan
                              >
                              > Wouldnt it be possible to get a piece of rod,face one end nice and
                              > true,then cut a 3/4-16 thread on the other, with a shoulder that mates
                              > up to the chuck.(maybe 1/8" thick or so.) Then drill and tap the other
                              > end (the one you faced good and flat) with a 1/2" thread to mate with
                              > the spindle.

                            • ant30dio
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 6, 2008
                                That's a possibility too, but would involve pulling the spindle. And
                                I would think a bigger lathe than the little 109.
                                Plus I'm in pretty good shape with face plates and a chuck for the
                                Oliver.
                                Thanks,, Tony

                                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Al Basham" <albasham@...>