Re: solid headstock spindle?

  • pflatlyne
    Message 1 of 61 , Nov 1, 2008
      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn N" <sleykin@...> wrote:

      > I have. Took a couple of tries to get a really good working one. I
      left it
      > solid and just put a piece of steel in the chuck and turn a point if
      I want
      > to turn between centers. I had to finally thread the spindle on

      Good point,I had not thought of the fact that you mount stuff in that
      spindle sometimes. I still think id rather have the stronger solid
      spindle and work around the problems if I had a 1/2" spindle.
    • Exibar
      Message 61 of 61 , Nov 6, 2008
        I figured as much, I did get two quotes from them. $1125 was with the taper
        bored out and $820 was a solid piece. So they'd charge $300 to bore out the
        taper.... ouchies.

        I'm just gunna buy one from homeshopsupply.com and be done :-) I'm going
        to get the 3/4"-16 thread, and bore out and tap my backplate for my chuck
        using my Mill :-)

        I'll keep eveyrone posted as to how that goes...

        thanks for the help all!
        Mike B

        _____