Re: [atlas_craftsman] WAS: OT: bending a coil of 3/8" spring wire, NOW: Load cells

  • Rexarino
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1 11:15 AM
      I have need of a load cell for destructive shear testing of hobby alloys.
      Anyone know a cheap source? My hydraulic press is a Chinese 12 ton unit, so
      I will cast samples of a size to break at lower pressures than 10 tons.

      Rex, in Portland, Oregon

      On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:48 AM, Michael Fagan <woodworker88@...>wrote:

      > Yes. By the way, if you're trying to weigh a lathe, there are many
      > other (potentially better) ways to go about this. The best would be
      > to buy or rent a large spring scale which can be hung from a hoist or
      > forklift. You can find ones in the 5 ton+ range. Or, you can get
      > several load cells or reasonably high capacity scales and place them
      > under the feet of the lathe.
      > The easiest method IMO would be to try and get the weight from the
      > manufacturer's literature. It is commonly included along with the
      > dimensions and other specifications.
      >
      > On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:42 AM, sstephanc <sstephanc@...> wrote:
      > > A water quench will leave it hard. This is why proof-reading is
      > important.
      > > While writing about
      > > water quench, I was thinking about not heat treating at all, so they got
      > > combined into one,
      > > compact though incorrect sentence. By heating to bend, probably at least
      > > orange hot, then
      > > quenching, there will be heat effected zones where it was not hot enough
      > for
      > > the quench to
      > > harden, but hot enough to further temper the original hardening. If
      > > anything, not quenching
      > > will probably be safer as I can watch it bend and stop, rather than have
      > it
      > > fracture and drop
      > > the lathe I am trying to weigh with this spring.
      > >
      > > Scott
      > >
      > > ----- Yesterday Scott wrote:
      > >> It is probably just high-carbon steel, so air cooling
      > >> would not harden it, but a water quench may leave it too soft to resist
      > >> bend in use.

      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Michael Fagan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1 6:23 PM
        My personal source has been Loadstar Sensors in Mountain View, CA. I
        don't know if they go into the 10 ton range (I was working in the
        250-500 pound range) and I'm pretty sure they're not cheap, but I
        worked with them directly for a project (thus I was borrowing, not
        buying the load cell) and have nothing but praise. They are a small
        company, but they are doing very innovative things in force
        measurement.
        Michael