Re: OT: bending a coil of 3/8" spring wire

  • sstephanc
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
      A water quench will leave it hard. This is why proof-reading is important. While writing about
      water quench, I was thinking about not heat treating at all, so they got combined into one,
      compact though incorrect sentence. By heating to bend, probably at least orange hot, then
      quenching, there will be heat effected zones where it was not hot enough for the quench to
      harden, but hot enough to further temper the original hardening. If anything, not quenching
      will probably be safer as I can watch it bend and stop, rather than have it fracture and drop
      the lathe I am trying to weigh with this spring.

      Scott

      ----- Yesterday Scott wrote:
      > It is probably just high-carbon steel, so air cooling
      > would not harden it, but a water quench may leave it too soft to resist
      > bend in use.
    • Michael Fagan
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
        Yes. By the way, if you're trying to weigh a lathe, there are many
        other (potentially better) ways to go about this. The best would be
        to buy or rent a large spring scale which can be hung from a hoist or
        forklift. You can find ones in the 5 ton+ range. Or, you can get
        several load cells or reasonably high capacity scales and place them
        under the feet of the lathe.
        The easiest method IMO would be to try and get the weight from the
        manufacturer's literature. It is commonly included along with the
        dimensions and other specifications.