Re: Unsubscribing

  • Wayne
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1, 2008
      Easier than that: there are not one but TWO places for unsubscribing
      to this group (That yes, you joined all by yourself with no other
      help!)

      One: a long hand explanation at the bottom of the Email saying how
      to do it.
      Two: An UNSUBSCRIBE link that Yahell provides – Free of charge!

      So even if you have HTML turned off, one of the methods will work…

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Paul DeLisle"
      <ferretpd@...> wrote:

      > You managed to *subscribe*..try and figure out how to *un*-
      subscribe. If you
      > can manage to read all this "driffl" (perhaps you
      meant "Drivel"?). a smart
      > boy like you should figure out how to do what the rest of Yahoo
      can do. (as
      > a hint, go to the Group Home page, go to Edit Membership, and at
      the bottom,
      > click the "Leave Group" button.
      > It's not really rocket science for someone as obviously lofty as
      you.

      > Paul DeLisle
      > (go whine someplace else.)

    • stephen_s_wood
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 2008
        Wayne,

        I find both Paul's posting and your expansion of it to be outside the
        limits of acceptable behavior. I cannot control you, nor do I want
        to. However, I do wish that you would learn to control yourselves.

        - Stephen

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <outlawmws@...> wrote:

        > Easier than that: there are not one but TWO places for unsubscribing
        > to this group (That yes, you joined all by yourself with no other
        > help!)
        >
        > One: a long hand explanation at the bottom of the Email saying how
        > to do it.
        > Two: An UNSUBSCRIBE link that Yahell provides – Free of charge!
        >
        > So even if you have HTML turned off, one of the methods will work…
        >

        > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Paul DeLisle"
        > <ferretpd@> wrote:
        > >
        > > You managed to *subscribe*..try and figure out how to *un*-
        > subscribe. If you
        > > can manage to read all this "driffl" (perhaps you
        > meant "Drivel"?). a smart
        > > boy like you should figure out how to do what the rest of Yahoo
        > can do. (as
        > > a hint, go to the Group Home page, go to Edit Membership, and at
        > the bottom,
        > > click the "Leave Group" button.
        > > It's not really rocket science for someone as obviously lofty as
        > you.
        > >
        > > Paul DeLisle
        > > (go whine someplace else.)

      • Michael Fagan
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1, 2008
          Regardless, these issues should be worked out with the moderator,
          atlas_craftsman-owner@..., and not sent to all 4000+ members of
          the list.
          Michael
          (who is also a Yahoo groups moderator on a different list)

          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 2, 2008
            stephen_s_wood wrote:
            > Wayne,
            >
            > I find both Paul's posting and your expansion of it to be outside the
            > limits of acceptable behavior. I cannot control you, nor do I want
            > to. However, I do wish that you would learn to control yourselves.
            Paul's posting was snarky. I don't see anything in Wayne's that
            is anything but matter of fact. Being the moderator of this
            group, I do get just a bit annoyed by people who won't read the
            info that is RIGHT in every message telling how to unsubscribe.
            We just CAN'T make it any plainer until computers learn to read
            people's minds (not that I'm looking forward to such development.)

            Jon
          • speedphoto300
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 2, 2008
              It's not just the strident (or whining) "how do I unsubscribe?" that's
              the issue, many of these are related to getting a lot of emails that
              they don't want, on threads they don't care about. That problem is
              just as easily solved, set "no email, I'll use the web service" in
              your preferences. That's the mode I use, I can check in and look at
              what's up and don't have to read a bunch of posts about something I
              don't care about. Of course, that requires some effort too...

              Joe
            • Russ Kepler
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 2, 2008
                On Tuesday 02 September 2008 10:59:58 speedphoto300 wrote:
                > It's not just the strident (or whining) "how do I unsubscribe?" that's
                > the issue, many of these are related to getting a lot of emails that
                > they don't want, on threads they don't care about. That problem is
                > just as easily solved, set "no email, I'll use the web service" in
                > your preferences. That's the mode I use, I can check in and look at
                > what's up and don't have to read a bunch of posts about something I
                > don't care about. Of course, that requires some effort too...

                There used to be an "unsubscribe me" list at some university for the really
                annoying users who would subscribe to a list and then whinge about receiving
                email from the list. As a list admin I'd carefully remove them from my list
                and subscribe them to the "unsubscribeme" list, then tiptoe away. Childish?
                Yes, but surprisingly satisfying.
              • Charles Gallo
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 2, 2008
                  On 9/2/2008 Jon Elson wrote:

                  > We just CAN'T make it any plainer until computers learn to read
                  > people's minds (not that I'm looking forward to such development.)

                  It has been remarked by computer programmers that the ultimate computer language would have one command "Read users mind", to which one wag replied "actually, you will find that with most users, you will need to execute the 'write users mind' command first"

                  --
                  73 de KG2V

                  For the Children - RKBA!

                  BREAKFAST.COM Halted... Cereal Port Not Responding.
                • Charles Gallo
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 2, 2008
                    On 9/2/2008 Russ Kepler wrote:

                    > There used to be an "unsubscribe me" list at some university for the really
                    > annoying users who would subscribe to a list and then whinge about receiving
                    > email from the list. As a list admin I'd carefully remove them from my list
                    > and subscribe them to the "unsubscribeme" list, then tiptoe away. Childish?
                    > Yes, but surprisingly satisfying.

                    Oh - that's good - that's really really really good. Russ, you have an evil mind

                    --
                    73 de KG2V

                    For the Children - RKBA!

                    Ox2B | ~0x2B
                  • xlch58@swbell.net
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 2, 2008
                      stephen_s_wood wrote:
                      > Wayne,
                      >
                      > I find both Paul's posting and your expansion of it to be outside the
                      > limits of acceptable behavior. I cannot control you, nor do I want
                      > to. However, I do wish that you would learn to control yourselves.
                      >
                      > - Stephen
                      The original poster kicked it off when they described our conversations
                      as stupid and childish junk while simultaneously soliciting our help --
                      definitely not the Dale Carnegie way.....

                      Charles
                    • jerdal@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 2, 2008
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 2, 2008
                          I agree, although I would equally strongly suggest that you avoid a
                          static phase converter and go straight to either a rotary phase
                          converter or an electronic VFD.

                        • n8as1@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 2, 2008
                            In a message dated 9/2/2008 11:19:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                            woodworker88@... writes:

                            I agree, although I would equally strongly suggest that you avoid a
                            static phase converter and go straight to either a rotary phase
                            converter or an electronic VFD.

                            maybe cheapest & simplest solution is a 3ph motor of at least 2x the
                            current mtr HP......used as an idler , it will run on 240 ( 2 lines of 120 ) once
                            it is started & will generate enuf juice for full HP operation of the lathe
                            mtr.w/ out additional capacitor balancing ...u can start it running ( since
                            3 phase has no start windings ) by a rope on a pulley , a single phase pony
                            mtr belted to it , or a start cap of abt 80 MFD /HP & a momentary switch ,
                            which u release almost immediately as it gets up to full frunning speed
                            ,usually a second or less.......u shud be able to scrounge a 3 hp mtr for $10-
                            30....., mayne even given one w/ a buggered shaft since u will not be using the
                            shaft to drive anything .......been running i HP , 5 hp & 71/2 HP shapers,& a
                            3 HP chop saw from a 10 HP idler for a few years now..( of course one at a
                            time)................if u go this way , i can help talk u thru wiring it up &
                            safety issues.........
                            best wishes
                            docn8as

                            deal here.

                          • Jim Ash
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 3, 2008
                              If you're going to get a phase converter, get one that will service the largest piece of equipment you intend to own, that way you can use it for any 3-phase machine, as long as you don't try to run them all at once. For me in a home shop, I'm going to be the only one running them, so it isn't a problem.

                              I'm truly amazed at the people who will pass on a machine just because it's 3-phase. Sometimes the difference in the going price on the machine would buy you several vfd units.

                              Jim Ash

                              >In a message dated 9/2/2008 11:19:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                              >woodworker88@... writes:
                              >

                              >I agree, although I would equally strongly suggest that you avoid a
                              >static phase converter and go straight to either a rotary phase
                              >converter or an electronic VFD.
                              >

                              >maybe cheapest & simplest solution is a 3ph motor of at least 2x the
                              >current mtr HP......used as an idler , it will run on 240 ( 2 lines of 120 ) once
                              >it is started & will generate enuf juice for full HP operation of the lathe
                              >mtr.w/ out additional capacitor balancing ...u can start it running ( since
                              >3 phase has no start windings ) by a rope on a pulley , a single phase pony
                              >mtr belted to it , or a start cap of abt 80 MFD /HP & a momentary switch ,
                              >which u release almost immediately as it gets up to full frunning speed
                              >,usually a second or less.......u shud be able to scrounge a 3 hp mtr for $10-
                              >30....., mayne even given one w/ a buggered shaft since u will not be using the
                              >shaft to drive anything .......been running i HP , 5 hp & 71/2 HP shapers,& a
                              >3 HP chop saw from a 10 HP idler for a few years now..( of course one at a
                              >time)................if u go this way , i can help talk u thru wiring it up &
                              >safety issues.........
                              > best wishes
                              >docn8as
                              >

                              >**************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel
                              >deal here.
                              >(http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)

                            • mertnedp
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 3, 2008
                                At work I have setup many VFDs to run different machines. That is a
                                very good option as well. The last one that I installed cost us less
                                than $500. Used it on a 5hp 3 phase 480 volt motor. The operator
                                justs loves the variable speed and soft starting.