Re: [atlas_craftsman] craftsman 12" lathe questions

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 31, 2008
      Monte Holder wrote:
      > My mother-in-law gave me (always try to be nice to the motherinlaw!) a Craftsman 12" metal turning lathe. The Owners manual says Model No. 101.28990 but the plate on the lathe says 101.21400 SN016525.
      >
      > 1. what is the deal with that?
      101.28990 is from the last vintage of these lathes before Sears
      stopped selling them (and Atlas stopped making them, too.)
      The 21400 is a somewhat earlier model. Not sure if is is also a

      > When she shipped it to me the hand wheel on the tail stock was broken, and the one on the cross feed was bent, it didn't have a center in the tail stock, it has a 3 jaw chuck with a square key that didn't make the trip, and the wrench for the tail stock.
      >
      > 2. Where can I get these parts?
      Tailstock centers are #2 Morse, and easily available from all
      the machine shop suppliers (MSC, Enco, J&L, KBC, Travers Tool, etc.)

      Some of the handwheels are fairly standard, you can again check
      out the above suppliers for what will fit. I don't know what
      you can get from Clausing Service Center, but they have a number
      of commonly-needed parts for the Atlas there. See out Links
      page for URL and phone # for them.

      The wrench for the tailstock should be able to be made by
      cutting off a box-end wrench from the hardware store. A chuck
      key can be made fairly easily with a little bar stock and a file.

      > I have looked at Clausing, but can't find where those parts are located, other than emailing them for information on these parts? Is there a link to parts for these machines?

      Yeah, they really do not have an on-line store or anything.
      Phoning them is much better.