Re:Tool Holding Options

  • twilliam@go-concepts.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
      Randy -
      I looked at tool posts for my 6" Atlas recently and just installed an
      A2Z unit last week.
      I think that the #100 AXA units are too big for the 6" but Phase II
      has the "Hobby" that is a scaled down AXA and is carried by Travers.
      The set was on sale last month for $99 but I think it's $129 now.
      I was unpleasantly surprised when I bought the A2Z that even though
      they list it specifically for the 6" Atlas you have to make your own
      T-Nut anyway. I'm still mad about finding that out after buying it.
      I would feel better if the tool post was steel (as the Phase II Hobby
      is) but I don't have any reason to suspect it's not strong enough.
      I wanted to buy American but if I had it to do over again I would buy
      the Phase II Hobby.
      Let me know if you need any more info or pictures.
      Tony Williamitis
    • Robert Rochelle
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
        I felt the same disappointment when I discovered you had to make your
        own nut.  Also, in my case, it was necessary to knock the corners
        off the tool post block at the bottom because it was too big to seat in
        the recess on top the compound.  However, I will say neither one
        was a big deal--just disappointing to discover after the fact.  I
        have ben quite pleased with it other than that.

        Robert Rochelle

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
          The issue with the A2Z tool post and the Atlas 6" is there are too
          many variations of the 6" compound over so many years of production.
          To fit all possible permutations of the Atlas and Craftsman lathes,
          they might have to supply 10-12 different t-nuts. In my lathe's case,
          I only had to face off 1/8" of the larger nut supplied to make it fit
          perfectly and I didn't have to knock any material off the post to
          clear the compound. If I had used my original compound, I would have
          had to clearance the post base and use the small of the two t-nuts
          supplied.

          I had to make a new t-nut for my Atlas 12x36 when I fitted a Phase II
          AXA to it. It was easier to get a piece of 1"x1/4" flat bar stock and
          drill and tap it for M14x1.5 threads than to mill down the supplied
          t-nut.

          I've been very pleased with both companies products.

          James

          --
          www.blackcube.org - The Texas State Home for Wayward and Orphaned Computers
        • azbruno
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
            The AXA is too big. Check the PhaseII hobby. A2Z and the like are
            lightweight aluminum holders.

            Also, check out the Omni-post (KRF Company). They are more expensive,
            and also not as easy to make extra tool holders, but they are solid
            and repeatable. I'm very pleased with mine.

            -Bruno
          • Randal Harmeling
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
              Thanks to everyone with your advice on the Quick Change Tool Posts.  I think I'll scatch the 100 AXA from the list.  It is easy to see how that would be a too big.  The Phase II hobby is one I hadn't really noticed.  I think it looks like a real good fit and now I just need to find the best price for it - too bad I missed the sale at Travers.  If someone knows of a deal for that one let me know.

              I think I'll pursue the scissors type knurlers.  That makes sense how the forces would be offset between its own two wheels as opposed to all the thrust put on the spindle bearings with the crush type as offered with the AXA.

              Now I just need to look for some good cutters and boring tools.  If anyone has some suggestions, as a newbe I'm all ears.  Then I can look for a good 3-jaw chuck, live center, milling attachment, test indicator - am I missing anything?

              Now I can't wait for my videos from Smartflix to arrive.  I've got two videos from Rudy Kouhoupt on their way: "Ginding Lathe Tools" and "Fundamentals of Machine Lathe Operations".  I told my wife that since she made me watch "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense and Sensibility" with her that she's got 200 hours of watching men working with metal in her future. :)

              Have a happy 4th everyone!
              Randy