Re: Will Myford Gears fit the 10F

  • anthrhodes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2008
      Jim,

      That's an interesting question. There are two issues, DP of the gears and
      the bore and keyways of the gears.

      The simple answer is you can't mix the 20 DP Myfords with the 16 DP Atlas
      gears where the drive is through the gear teeth. The part of the drive which
      creates the biggest problem is the spindle gear and the gears on the tumbler
      reverse mechanism. If you could replace all of these with 20 DP gears the rest
      of the drive would pretty much be a straight swap. Alternatively, if you were
      to keep the 32 tooth gear on the tumbler reverse and all the gears above it
      but alter the 32 / 16 stud so that the 16 could be replaced by any 20 DP
      gear, then all gears from the stud down could be Myfords.

      Finally, you can mix different DPs in a gear train as long as the drive
      doesn't require meshing the teeth of different DPs. So you could have the
      original Atlas 32 on the tumbler drive an Atlas 48 on the compound bushing, then put
      a Myford 60 on the compound bushing driving a Myford 80 on the leadscrew.
      With an 8 TPI leadscrew this would cut a 16 TPI thread. (This isn't a
      particularly useful setup, there are better ways to do it, it merely illustrates the
      method by which incompatible gears can still be assembled into useful gear
      trains.)

      Anthony
      Berkeley, Calif.

      In a message dated Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:55 am (PDT), jmileman writes:

      Picked my 10F up yesterday and although I've got a load of tooling and
      parts with it there are some gears missing. Being in the UK, Atlas
      parts are a bit thin on the ground but there is plenty of Myford
      stuff. Does anyone know if Myford gears will fit/work on the 10F lathe ?

    • jmileman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
        Thanks Jean-Claude

        Should have guessed that that would have been too easy.

        Have to keep an eye out for the odd one that may come up at car boot
        sales etc.

        Is there an easy way to identify if a gear would be suitable ?

        Cheers

        Jim