Milling Attachment for 12x36 Palmgren?

  • porscheman54
    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2008
      Having been outbid or out sniped for the last three milling
      attachments for my Atlas 12x36, I'm being forced to look elsewhere.
      Has anyone used a Palmgren 400v milling attachment? I've been looking
      at them today as I need to do a small bit of milling. I do plan to
      buy a mini-mill eventually but I need a stop gap measure at this time
      and a milling attachment would probably fit the bill - and my budget.

      Or as an alternative, does anyone have a milling attachment for the
      12x36 that they would like to sell?

      James
    • KD
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2008
        Hi James:
        I made one for my 12X36. It is not as sophisticated as the factory but
        it does get small jobs done. I could make another if the price is right.
        Email me off site to discuss if you would like.
        TR

        porscheman54 wrote:

        > Having been outbid or out sniped for the last three milling
        > attachments for my Atlas 12x36, I'm being forced to look elsewhere.
        > Has anyone used a Palmgren 400v milling attachment? I've been looking
        > at them today as I need to do a small bit of milling. I do plan to
        > buy a mini-mill eventually but I need a stop gap measure at this time
        > and a milling attachment would probably fit the bill - and my budget.
        >
        > Or as an alternative, does anyone have a milling attachment for the
        > 12x36 that they would like to sell?
        >
        > James

      • James Walther
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2008
          If you have a welder or access to one a stop-gap milling attachment isn't that hard to cobble together. I used a HF cross slide vise as the basis. There are pictures in an album "Milling Projects" I'll be happy to provide details and more pictures if you're interested. Feel free to email me so we don't inflict our conversations on the rest of the group!
          Regards,
          Jim

          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2008
            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "porscheman54" <james.rice@...>
            wrote:

            > Having been outbid or out sniped for the last three milling
            > attachments for my Atlas 12x36, I'm being forced to look elsewhere.
            > Has anyone used a Palmgren 400v milling attachment? I've been looking
            > at them today as I need to do a small bit of milling. I do plan to
            > buy a mini-mill eventually but I need a stop gap measure at this time
            > and a milling attachment would probably fit the bill - and my budget.
            >
            > Or as an alternative, does anyone have a milling attachment for the
            > 12x36 that they would like to sell?
            >
            > James

            Somebody posted a brand mew, in the box, milling attachment for an
            Atlas on the Practical machinist classifieds, today. Price was $250
            IIRC.
            Jim
          • jerdal@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2008
              > Having been outbid or out sniped for the last three milling
              > attachments for my Atlas 12x36, I'm being forced to look elsewhere.
              > Has anyone used a Palmgren 400v milling attachment? I've been looking
              > at them today as I need to do a small bit of milling. I do plan to
              > buy a mini-mill eventually but I need a stop gap measure at this time
              > and a milling attachment would probably fit the bill - and my budget.

              Not a 400, but I do have a 250........ the smaller intermediate size unit. I
              think it is otherwise identical to the 400. You probably want the 250
              instead of the 400, for an Atlas, which is roughly the same size as my 10"
              Logan as far as the carriage parts.

              The Atlas type is likely FAR better.... the Palmgren has a LOT of
              "stick-out" and "hang-over" to deal with, and wobbles lots more due to
              relying on more dovetail ways "in series with" the mounting than the Atlas.

              The Atlas as you know, mounts in place of the compound. The Palmgren mounts
              ON TOP OF the compound, and then sticks out from it.

              Picture of the 250 mounted on a Logan.........

              http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/?action=view¤t=Palmgren.jpg

              I found it was OK for very light work, mainly keyway cutting etc. It was
              really NOT suitable for what I wanted to do.

              The way the Palmgren is made also has the difficulty of being able to fall
              over sideways, as it spins on a through bolt which is meant to allow you to
              tilt the vise part. You can see that in the picture, there is an angle
              scale showing. The vise and vertical slide can be tilted at an angle. It
              CAN release the vise to flop over sideways if the bolt loosens from
              vibration. I ended up pinning mine vertical to prevent that.

              I got mine for a fairly cheap price, and it was barely worth it. I still
              have it, kept in reserve for real emergency work, but I REALLY hate having
              to use it.

              JT
            • tfm37
              Message 6 of 7 , May 16, 2008
                wrote:

                > Having been outbid or out sniped for the last three milling
                > attachments for my Atlas 12x36, I'm being forced to look elsewhere.
                > Has anyone used a Palmgren 400v milling attachment? I've been looking
                > at them today as I need to do a small bit of milling. I do plan to
                > buy a mini-mill eventually but I need a stop gap measure at this time
                > and a milling attachment would probably fit the bill - and my budget.
                >
                > Or as an alternative, does anyone have a milling attachment for the
                > 12x36 that they would like to sell?
                >
                > James
                >See my post No. 50620
              • porscheman54
                Message 7 of 7 , May 16, 2008
                  Thanks to the Jim, who pointed me to the Practical Machinist Forum for
                  sale postings, I will pick up a "like new in box" Craftsman-Atlas
                  milling attachment with about two dozen collets to hold the end mills
                  and the collet drawbar tomorrow. It was local to me so no shipping is
                  involved. It is specifically marked for the Craftsman 12" lathe.

                  I am killing two birds on this trip as I scored some 36x72 workbenches
                  out of the local Lockheed-Martin plant. One of the benches comes
                  equipped with a largish (40lbs or so) Columbian machinists vise from
                  the 1950's. These workbenches have curved iron legs very similar to
                  the 1940's Atlas lathe legs. They were listed on the local Craigslist
                  and I couldn't pass up two benches and a vise for $145.