Subject: keyway tapers

  • Kenneth Mayer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      > Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 17:06:29 GMT
      > From: "robert B" <tugboatbob@...>
      >
      >I have a shaft, and a flange, both must fit together.
      >
      >I'd like to fit these two parts together on a 3 degree taper over two
      >inches, and hold them with a keyway. (I think I need to use a woodruf key
      >and seat)
      >
      >I don't have the setup to cut the key seats, so must have a machinest do
      >it.
      >
      >My question is, should I deliver these parts to the machinest as a stright
      >shank, then cut the taper after he cuts the seats, or can I cut the tapers,
      >lapp them to a close tight fit, then bring the tapered parts to him for
      >cutting of the seats ?

      Why can't you cut the keyways? Make a cutter (similar to a boring bar, but
      cuts when pushed axially; the cutting edge is oriented vertically). Set the
      compound to the angle of the taper. Mount the cutter on the toolpost. Lock
      the spindle firmly in place (you'll have to cobble something together to do
      this). Lock the saddle in place. Use the compound screw to make the cut,
      and use the crossfeed to set the depth of cut. Its tedious, but can be
      done. Basically, you're using the lathe as a manually operated shaper.

      Ken
      :-)