Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Need help pricing an old lathe

  • LouD31M066@aol.com
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 3, 2008
      Engine Lathes have a pretty standard lay out and function.
      A good piece of machinery starts with a good design and material choices.
      Material and foundry technique has to be good to turn out sound castings.
      Accurate machining converts a quality casting into quality parts.
      Some import machines still seem to be of the "Great Leap Forward" era
      where quantity not quality was desired.
      Decline in value of the dollar will put pressure importers and manufacturers
      to make the machine worth the price...expect to see more corner cutting
      and/or upgraded quality.
      A worn out domestic machine with ebay the only source of major spares
      does not seem like a great value compared to either a middling import
      or a decent condition domestic machine.
      If you have a good C/A machine treasure it...there will be no more.
      If you are looking at an affordable import...look carefully and check out
      everything twice before you buy.
      An opinion is worth only what you pay for it .... and this one is free.
      Louis

    • rfmarchi@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Apr 8, 2008
        Just to help calibrate values, I recently bought a 10" X 32" Atlas in good working order with a set of manual change gears, a lantern tool post, one RH tool holder, a decent three jaw chuck, a thread dial and a live center for $600. I consider it a good value for the money.