Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Need help pricing an old lathe

  • Gene Furr
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 3, 2008
      I really can't see a war starting over the Chinese lathe,
      I had a 9X10 Jet lathe. Note I said HAD
      With out going in to a long story about what all was wrong with it.
      I will just say I got where I didn't like going to the shop and
      seeing it setting there.
      Many hours was spent adjusting, a compleat tare down and rebuilt, new
      parts made for it and still a piece of junk.
      The bed was replaced with a new one and still so for out you couldn't adjust.
      Very poor casting on the apron, bed and head stock.
      Under the paint you would find about 5lb of something like Bondo to
      fill in for the bad casting.
      I would like to hear from some one that has had both. They know what
      there talking about.

      ..... Gene

    • rfmarchi@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Apr 8, 2008
        Just to help calibrate values, I recently bought a 10" X 32" Atlas in good working order with a set of manual change gears, a lantern tool post, one RH tool holder, a decent three jaw chuck, a thread dial and a live center for $600. I consider it a good value for the money.