Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: OT: Anybody interested in CAD

  • Jack Fuselier
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2000
      catboat15@... wrote:

      > Cad was easy when I had a DOS computer, Used Generic Cadd6 from Autodesk.
      > All the cad programs I have tried for windows want to do just TOO much for
      > me, automatically put in 90 degree angles, tangents etc. I want to be able to
      > control when I want those features. I can still make DOS drawings, but then
      > my printer won't accept DOS commands.
      > John Meacham

      Right on, that's the problem with too much tech help from Windows.
      The printer is only responsive to Windows plug n play commands.
      I think we have about come full circle in usefulness, and I still
      have my old 386 operating in dos 6.2 for word processing and DBase.
      Works better and faster, and it doesn't make weird moves I don't want.
      Jack F

      =================
      If wearing a handgun is not a good means
      of self defense, why do police wear them?
      <http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com>
    • R. Lee Hawkins
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2000
        In your message dated: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 09:00:15 CDT you write:
        >catboat15@... wrote:
        >
        >> Cad was easy when I had a DOS computer, Used Generic Cadd6 from Autodesk.
        >> All the cad programs I have tried for windows want to do just TOO much for

        Try VisualCADD. It is the windows replacement for GenericCADD, and
        takes all the two-letter shortcuts you might have learned under generic
        CADD. It can also read GenericCADD files (mostly) correctly.

        Also, I sorta take offense at being classed as a "Nerd running a CADD
        program". I do hobby stuff myself, but when I go to my department
        machinist, I prefer to take good drawings to him. He is an excellent
        machinist, and has made more things than he likes to admit just based on
        drawings on napkins (literally!), but even he is not a mind reader. His
        life (and my life) are made much easier if I supply good drawings. It
        saves lots of time (once you learn the CAD program), and lets you make
        sure ahead of time that everything you have in your mind is gonna fit
        together in the end. It also leaves a permanent record if you need to
        come back and make another one later. What is wrong with trying to do
        things professionally? Does being professional make one a nerd? :)

        Cheers,
        --Lee
      • BACSTG@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2000
          "Cad was easy when I had a DOS computer, Used Generic Cadd6 from Autodesk.
          All the cad programs I have tried for windows want to do just TOO much for
          me, automatically put in 90 degree angles, tangents etc. I want to be able to
          control when I want those features. I can still make DOS drawings, but then
          my printer won't accept DOS commands.
          John Meacham"

          Take a look at cadkey light. It is fairly simple to use and learn. Last
          time I looked it was around $120.

          Keith
        • Ronald Thibault
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2000
            At 09:00 AM 8/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
            >catboat15@... wrote:
            >
            > > Cad was easy when I had a DOS computer, Used Generic Cadd6 from Autodesk.
            > > All the cad programs I have tried for windows want to do just TOO much for
            > > me, automatically put in 90 degree angles, tangents etc. I want to be
            > able to
            > > control when I want those features. I can still make DOS drawings, but then
            > > my printer won't accept DOS commands.
            > > John Meacham
            >
            >Right on, that's the problem with too much tech help from Windows.
            >The printer is only responsive to Windows plug n play commands.
            > I think we have about come full circle in usefulness, and I still
            >have my old 386 operating in dos 6.2 for word processing and DBase.
            >Works better and faster, and it doesn't make weird moves I don't want.
            > Jack F

            If the two programs have compatible files, draw in DOS and use the Windows
            version to print it.

            Ron Thibault
            North Augusta, SC USA
            Builder Miinie #2