RE: [atlas_craftsman] powertwist v belts

  • Stanley, Joey
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
      Looks like they only carry Fenner.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Robert Rochelle
      Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 7:51 AM
      To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [atlas_craftsman] powertwist v belts

      You might try CSHincorporated.com
      --- "Stanley, Joey" <joey.stanley@...> wrote:

      > Perfect timing for this thread. For the Atlas 10F
      > (TH54), should I be looking at the 3L or 4L? Or
      > both? I had one of each, 3L for the head stock, and
      > 4L for the motor, but it looks to me they should
      > both be 3L.
      > Any good sources for the Accu-Link by Jason? Harbor
      > Freight has the 4L, anyone else with a better
      > selection? The local ACE Hardware doesn't carry
      > them.
      >
      > Thanks,

      > removed]

      Robert Rochelle

      Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Joe R
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
        I got my accu-links at HF. I first tried them on my newly referbed 8525 Atlas/Clausing mill and it was smooth as silk but noisy at higher speeds. They were installed correctly, the second time. I put normal belts back on and got a thump I could feel in the downfeed lever when the bulge went by that I didn't have with the link belts. I them tried them on my Atlas 7B shaper, the top links "clicked on adjacent groves of the 4 step pulleys. I'm going to try them on my Atlas/Craftsman 12 I gave to my son next. The regular belts I put on it are "bumpy" when it goes over the place where they put it together. Link belts are perfect for smooth running but can be noisy. Your mileage may vary :+}

        Joe
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
          The genuine Fenner units that you order from McMaster, MSC, and others
          are made to a much higher quality and better precision than the green
          ones from HF and other places. Running side by side, the Fenner ones
          are much quieter, fit and wear better, and are easier to assemble.

          On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Joe R <jromas@...> wrote:

          > I got my accu-links at HF. I first tried them on my newly referbed 8525
          > Atlas/Clausing mill and it was smooth as silk but noisy at higher speeds.
          > They were installed correctly, the second time. I put normal belts back on
          > and got a thump I could feel in the downfeed lever when the bulge went by
          > that I didn't have with the link belts. I them tried them on my Atlas 7B
          > shaper, the top links "clicked on adjacent groves of the 4 step pulleys. I'm
          > going to try them on my Atlas/Craftsman 12 I gave to my son next. The
          > regular belts I put on it are "bumpy" when it goes over the place where they
          > put it together. Link belts are perfect for smooth running but can be noisy.
          > Your mileage may vary :+}
          >
          > Joe

        • alvarotesser
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Fagan"
            <woodworker88@...> wrote:

            > The genuine Fenner units that you order from McMaster, MSC, and others
            > are made to a much higher quality and better precision than the green
            > ones from HF and other places. Running side by side, the Fenner ones
            > are much quieter, fit and wear better, and are easier to assemble.
            >
            > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Joe R <jromas@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > I got my accu-links at HF. I first tried them on my newly referbed
            8525
            > > Atlas/Clausing mill and it was smooth as silk but noisy at higher
            speeds.
            > > They were installed correctly, the second time. I put normal belts
            back on
            > > and got a thump I could feel in the downfeed lever when the bulge
            went by
            > > that I didn't have with the link belts. I them tried them on my
            Atlas 7B
            > > shaper, the top links "clicked on adjacent groves of the 4 step
            pulleys. I'm
            > > going to try them on my Atlas/Craftsman 12 I gave to my son next. The
            > > regular belts I put on it are "bumpy" when it goes over the place
            where they
            > > put it together. Link belts are perfect for smooth running but can
            be noisy.
            > > Your mileage may vary :+}
            > >
            > > Joe

            Gents,
            What will happens when using "reverse rpm" since Fenner indicates,
            with arrows, the preferred rotation direction?

            Thank you,

            Al
          • Michael Fagan
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
              I have done some work with the lathe in reverse, mostly threading and
              taper turning, and I haven't had a problem yet. Obviously, it would
              make sense to put the belt's indicated forward direction to match the
              normal direction of the lathe, but occasional running in reverse
              doesn't seem to be a problem.

              On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:04 PM, alvarotesser <alvarotesser@...> wrote:

              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Fagan"
              >
              > <woodworker88@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > The genuine Fenner units that you order from McMaster, MSC, and others
              > > are made to a much higher quality and better precision than the green
              > > ones from HF and other places. Running side by side, the Fenner ones
              > > are much quieter, fit and wear better, and are easier to assemble.
              > >

              > > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Joe R <jromas@...> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > I got my accu-links at HF. I first tried them on my newly referbed
              > 8525
              > > > Atlas/Clausing mill and it was smooth as silk but noisy at higher
              > speeds.
              > > > They were installed correctly, the second time. I put normal belts
              > back on
              > > > and got a thump I could feel in the downfeed lever when the bulge
              > went by
              > > > that I didn't have with the link belts. I them tried them on my
              > Atlas 7B
              > > > shaper, the top links "clicked on adjacent groves of the 4 step
              > pulleys. I'm
              > > > going to try them on my Atlas/Craftsman 12 I gave to my son next. The
              > > > regular belts I put on it are "bumpy" when it goes over the place
              > where they
              > > > put it together. Link belts are perfect for smooth running but can
              > be noisy.
              > > > Your mileage may vary :+}
              > > >
              > > > Joe

            • SupportOurTroops - Skip
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
                Don't overlook using Goodyear FHP belts. They have machined raw rubber edges. They
                run as smooth as link belts, cost much less, run very quietly, require much less tension so
                they are easier on bearings and (for he that hath an ear) they will not wear aluminum pulleys
                like link belts can. I tried the Fenner link belts on my Jet drill press (aluminum pulleys) and
                removed them after finding aluminum dust on the belt edges. For easily replaced pulleys it
                may be not big deal and it may take years for it to show up but I sure wouldn't take a chance
                on using them on my Craftsman 12x36 headstock.

                Skip Campbell