RE: [atlas_craftsman] powertwist v belts

  • Robert Rochelle
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
      You might try CSHincorporated.com
      --- "Stanley, Joey" <joey.stanley@...> wrote:

      > Perfect timing for this thread. For the Atlas 10F
      > (TH54), should I be looking at the 3L or 4L? Or
      > both? I had one of each, 3L for the head stock, and
      > 4L for the motor, but it looks to me they should
      > both be 3L.
      > Any good sources for the Accu-Link by Jason? Harbor
      > Freight has the 4L, anyone else with a better
      > selection? The local ACE Hardware doesn't carry
      > them.
      >
      > Thanks,

      > removed]

      Robert Rochelle

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Stanley, Joey
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
        Looks like they only carry Fenner.

        > Perfect timing for this thread. For the Atlas 10F
        > (TH54), should I be looking at the 3L or 4L? Or
        > both? I had one of each, 3L for the head stock, and
        > 4L for the motor, but it looks to me they should
        > both be 3L.
        > Any good sources for the Accu-Link by Jason? Harbor
        > Freight has the 4L, anyone else with a better
        > selection? The local ACE Hardware doesn't carry
        > them.
        >
        > Thanks,

        > removed]

        Robert Rochelle

        Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Joe R
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
          I got my accu-links at HF. I first tried them on my newly referbed 8525 Atlas/Clausing mill and it was smooth as silk but noisy at higher speeds. They were installed correctly, the second time. I put normal belts back on and got a thump I could feel in the downfeed lever when the bulge went by that I didn't have with the link belts. I them tried them on my Atlas 7B shaper, the top links "clicked on adjacent groves of the 4 step pulleys. I'm going to try them on my Atlas/Craftsman 12 I gave to my son next. The regular belts I put on it are "bumpy" when it goes over the place where they put it together. Link belts are perfect for smooth running but can be noisy. Your mileage may vary :+}

          Joe
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
            The genuine Fenner units that you order from McMaster, MSC, and others
            are made to a much higher quality and better precision than the green
            ones from HF and other places. Running side by side, the Fenner ones
            are much quieter, fit and wear better, and are easier to assemble.

            On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Joe R <jromas@...> wrote:

            > I got my accu-links at HF. I first tried them on my newly referbed 8525
            > Atlas/Clausing mill and it was smooth as silk but noisy at higher speeds.
            > They were installed correctly, the second time. I put normal belts back on
            > and got a thump I could feel in the downfeed lever when the bulge went by
            > that I didn't have with the link belts. I them tried them on my Atlas 7B
            > shaper, the top links "clicked on adjacent groves of the 4 step pulleys. I'm
            > going to try them on my Atlas/Craftsman 12 I gave to my son next. The
            > regular belts I put on it are "bumpy" when it goes over the place where they
            > put it together. Link belts are perfect for smooth running but can be noisy.
            > Your mileage may vary :+}
            >
            > Joe

          • alvarotesser
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Fagan"
              <woodworker88@...> wrote:

              > The genuine Fenner units that you order from McMaster, MSC, and others
              > are made to a much higher quality and better precision than the green
              > ones from HF and other places. Running side by side, the Fenner ones
              > are much quieter, fit and wear better, and are easier to assemble.
              >
              > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Joe R <jromas@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > I got my accu-links at HF. I first tried them on my newly referbed
              8525
              > > Atlas/Clausing mill and it was smooth as silk but noisy at higher
              speeds.
              > > They were installed correctly, the second time. I put normal belts
              back on
              > > and got a thump I could feel in the downfeed lever when the bulge
              went by
              > > that I didn't have with the link belts. I them tried them on my
              Atlas 7B
              > > shaper, the top links "clicked on adjacent groves of the 4 step
              pulleys. I'm
              > > going to try them on my Atlas/Craftsman 12 I gave to my son next. The
              > > regular belts I put on it are "bumpy" when it goes over the place
              where they
              > > put it together. Link belts are perfect for smooth running but can
              be noisy.
              > > Your mileage may vary :+}
              > >
              > > Joe

              Gents,
              What will happens when using "reverse rpm" since Fenner indicates,
              with arrows, the preferred rotation direction?

              Thank you,

              Al
            • Michael Fagan
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
                I have done some work with the lathe in reverse, mostly threading and
                taper turning, and I haven't had a problem yet. Obviously, it would
                make sense to put the belt's indicated forward direction to match the
                normal direction of the lathe, but occasional running in reverse
                doesn't seem to be a problem.

                On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:04 PM, alvarotesser <alvarotesser@...> wrote:

                > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Fagan"
                >
                > <woodworker88@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > The genuine Fenner units that you order from McMaster, MSC, and others
                > > are made to a much higher quality and better precision than the green
                > > ones from HF and other places. Running side by side, the Fenner ones
                > > are much quieter, fit and wear better, and are easier to assemble.
                > >

                > > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Joe R <jromas@...> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > I got my accu-links at HF. I first tried them on my newly referbed
                > 8525
                > > > Atlas/Clausing mill and it was smooth as silk but noisy at higher
                > speeds.
                > > > They were installed correctly, the second time. I put normal belts
                > back on
                > > > and got a thump I could feel in the downfeed lever when the bulge
                > went by
                > > > that I didn't have with the link belts. I them tried them on my
                > Atlas 7B
                > > > shaper, the top links "clicked on adjacent groves of the 4 step
                > pulleys. I'm
                > > > going to try them on my Atlas/Craftsman 12 I gave to my son next. The
                > > > regular belts I put on it are "bumpy" when it goes over the place
                > where they
                > > > put it together. Link belts are perfect for smooth running but can
                > be noisy.
                > > > Your mileage may vary :+}
                > > >
                > > > Joe

              • SupportOurTroops - Skip
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Don't overlook using Goodyear FHP belts. They have machined raw rubber edges. They
                  run as smooth as link belts, cost much less, run very quietly, require much less tension so
                  they are easier on bearings and (for he that hath an ear) they will not wear aluminum pulleys
                  like link belts can. I tried the Fenner link belts on my Jet drill press (aluminum pulleys) and
                  removed them after finding aluminum dust on the belt edges. For easily replaced pulleys it
                  may be not big deal and it may take years for it to show up but I sure wouldn't take a chance
                  on using them on my Craftsman 12x36 headstock.

                  Skip Campbell