Re: Big Nuts! (1 1/2-8 to be exact)

  • Bill Libecap
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
      I would be interested in 6 depending on the shipping cost. Where are
      these nuts, I am in cincinnati, Oh 45236
      Bill

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "indianfourrider"
      <indianfourrider@...> wrote:

      > FWIW: Walking around at the fastener company the other day I saw some
      > big honkin' threaded rod. I commented to my friend that it looked
      > almost like the spindle thread on my lathe. He said that what was on
      > the rack ranged from 1 1/4-8 up to 2-8 and that 8 TPI is the industry
      > standard for almost everything over 1.125" dia. So I asked if by
      > chance they had any 1 1/2-8 nuts. "Sure," he sez, "I think we just
      > got a keg of them. How many do you want?" I asked what the retail
      > price would be and he thought around $2.50 each, then proceeds to
      > give me one. A 'sample' he sez.
      >
      > There are a couple of pictures in an album called "nuts" I'd be happy
      > to buy a few and provide them at my cost if anyone's interested. I
      > can think of several ways they might come in handy. Darn sight
      > sturdier than PVC for a nose thread guard... (Yes, the one picture
      > was taken after I relieved the back for just such use)Email me:
      > indianfourrider@...
      >
      > Also in the album are a couple of pictures of my shop-made carriage
      > stop. 1/2-20 all-thread gives .0025 per click, once I get the witness
      > mark stamped!
      >
      > Apropos of nothing, I was delighted to learn that "swarf" is a real
      > word of ancient origin, not some recent concoction. Although it does
      > sound like something from a bad 'Star Trek' parody: "Fire futon
      > torpedos, Mr. Swarf!" But then again, I like words...

    • James Walther
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
        Bill,

        The nuts and I are in Charleston, West, by God, Virginia. Six of them will easily fit in a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate box which goes anywhere for $8.95. You might be able to find them locally, but with belly bombers and Skyline, if the weather were more accomodation a road trip could happen...

        Regards,

        Jim.

        <indianfourrider@ ...> wrote:

        > FWIW: Walking around at the fastener company the other day I saw some
        > big honkin' threaded rod. I commented to my friend that it looked
        > almost like the spindle thread on my lathe. He said that what was on
        > the rack ranged from 1 1/4-8 up to 2-8 and that 8 TPI is the industry
        > standard for almost everything over 1.125" dia. So I asked if by
        > chance they had any 1 1/2-8 nuts. "Sure," he sez, "I think we just
        > got a keg of them. How many do you want?" I asked what the retail
        > price would be and he thought around $2.50 each, then proceeds to
        > give me one. A 'sample' he sez.
        >
        > There are a couple of pictures in an album called "nuts" I'd be happy
        > to buy a few and provide them at my cost if anyone's interested. I
        > can think of several ways they might come in handy. Darn sight
        > sturdier than PVC for a nose thread guard... (Yes, the one picture
        > was taken after I relieved the back for just such use)Email me:
        > indianfourrider@ ...
        >
        > Also in the album are a couple of pictures of my shop-made carriage
        > stop. 1/2-20 all-thread gives .0025 per click, once I get the witness
        > mark stamped!
        >
        > Apropos of nothing, I was delighted to learn that "swarf" is a real
        > word of ancient origin, not some recent concoction. Although it does
        > sound like something from a bad 'Star Trek' parody: "Fire futon
        > torpedos, Mr. Swarf!" But then again, I like words...

      • indianfourrider
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
          FWIW part Deux:

          I have added a couple of quick shots of the spindle nose thread
          protector I made from one of the "big nuts" to the "nuts" album. They
          seem to be made of pretty good steel; equivalent to Grade 5 my friend
          told me.

          I'll be at the fastener company tomorrow to see if I can become a
          limited distributor ;-)
        • Jerome
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
            I'd go for three 1 1/2-8 nuts . who do i mail the check to and where.

            email me at misterfxt at sbcglobal.net and put nuts in the subject so
            i don't delete it in error. Thanks J