[atlas_craftsman] Power Crossfeed?

  • santoni@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 1999
      I have an Atlas 10"-F Series Lathe which appears to have the potential for power crossfeed. Having had to replace several gears in the carriage apron assembly, and the saddle assembly, I noted gearing for the crossfeed. Does anyone have any information about this functionality on this model lathe? The problem appears to be that the mitre gear which drives the crossfeed is attached to a bushing and collar through which the lead screw passes. However there is no connection between the bushing/mitre gear assembly and the lead screw (other than it passes through it). I thought there might be a key missing from the lead screw, but there is no keyway in the bushing or gear.

      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way I have the parts drawing from Clausing and there doesn't appear to be any missing parts.

      Thanks
      Carl.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 1999
        santoni@... wrote:

        > I have an Atlas 10"-F Series Lathe which appears to have the potential for power crossfeed. Having had to replace several gears in the carriage apron assembly, and the saddle assembly, I noted gearing for the crossfeed. Does anyone have any information about this functionality on this model lathe? The problem appears to be that the mitre gear which drives the crossfeed is attached to a bushing and collar through which the lead screw passes. However there is no connection between the bushing/mitre gear assembly and the lead screw (other than it passes through it). I thought there might be a key missing from the lead screw, but there is no keyway in the bushing or gear.

        As far as I know, all 10" and 12" Atlas lathes had power crossfeed. There is a sleeve over the leadscrew, that is
        driven by a MOLDED IN key, in the Zamak sleeve/gear assembly. The key could easily be sheared off.
        This appears to be your problem, I've heard of it happening before. I don't know how easy it would be
        to repair the key. I would not be eager to try cutting a keyway in the sleeve, as this would weaken the
        part (as if Zamak wasn't weak enough, already). If I remember, there is a collar that goes on the end
        of the sleeve, to hold it in place. (But, maybe the other bevel gear does that.) If there is a collar, you
        might be able to fit a longer collar to the sleeve, and put a keyway slot in that. Then, you could make
        a long key with 'tangs' on the end, that grab both ends of the collar, to prevent the key from sliding out
        the side. There might also be another way to make it, perhaps a key that is attached to the inside of
        the collar with 2-56 screws.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 1999
          <3729fed5.3c88e58-@...> wrote:
          Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman/?start=497

          > santoni@... wrote:
          >
          > > I have an Atlas 10"-F Series Lathe which appears to have the potential for power crossfeed. Having had to replace several gears in the carriage apron assembly, and the saddle assembly, I noted gearing for the crossfeed. Does anyone have any information about this functionality on this model lathe? The problem appears to be that the mitre gear which drives the crossfeed is attached to a bushing and collar through which the lead screw passes. However there is no connection between the bushing/mitre gear assembly and the lead screw (other than it passes through it). I thought there might be a key missing from the lead screw, but there is no keyway in the bushing or gear.
          >
          > As far as I know, all 10" and 12" Atlas lathes had power crossfeed. There is a sleeve over the leadscrew, that is
          > driven by a MOLDED IN key, in the Zamak sleeve/gear assembly. The key could easily be sheared off.
          > This appears to be your problem, I've heard of it happening before. I don't know how easy it would be
          > to repair the key. I would not be eager to try cutting a keyway in the sleeve, as this would weaken the
          > part (as if Zamak wasn't weak enough, already). If I remember, there is a collar that goes on the end
          > of the sleeve, to hold it in place. (But, maybe the other bevel gear does that.) If there is a collar, you
          > might be able to fit a longer collar to the sleeve, and put a keyway slot in that. Then, you could make
          > a long key with 'tangs' on the end, that grab both ends of the collar, to prevent the key from sliding out
          > the side. There might also be another way to make it, perhaps a key that is attached to the inside of
          > the collar with 2-56 screws.
          >
          > Jon

          Thanks for the response Jon.

          All evidence of the key on my mitre gear is completely gone. I called Clausing this morning and they confirmed that it is a MOLDED IN key, in the Zamak sleeve/gear assembly. They want $81 for the gear, I'm not sure I need crossfeed that badly.

          Anyway the puzzle is solved, thanks again for your help.