Re: Tool Holder

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 3, 2008
      No matter if your favorite machine is an Atlas, South Bend or Logan we
      mainly are hobby people and we should learn to use all types of tools and tool
      holders available. One thing to realize is that the published information for
      speeds and feeds is based on production work experience. The recommendations are
      the most economical compromise in turning out the most work with the least
      downtime for changing tools, rejected work etc and is a different environment
      than we see in our home shops. It is one thing if you want to produce 500
      pieces of work each with some tight tolerance that is shown on a drawing; but
      another if you only want to make part B fit part A on a home hobby project.

      I like to build live steam engines and locomotives and one day I may be
      turning cast iron driving wheels that are stretching the capabilities of my 12
      inch Atlas and the next day be faced with making 20 or so little brass tubing
      adopters for silver soldering on the necessary piping on a model. One day I may
      have the big tool block up on the compound with a carbide cutter to rough
      out cast iron wheels where that hard skin will tear up a HSS tool in a hurry,
      but when doing the little brass do-hickys I have the lantern tool post up and
      a HSS tool ground with no rake to cause a "dig in".

      Some of the material I use is from scrap metal places and some is useless
      being too hard or wanting to tear rather than cut cleanly under the tool. (Some
      of the cold rolled rod from the hardware store is useless for turning, it is
      full of cold seams etc.)

      So on our lathes there is no one "right" tool or tool holder.

      Just remember even our light duty machines can cut steel and metals and have
      no problem cutting skin and meat, so keep your watch and rings in your
      pocket and loose sleeves are a No No. Catching the end of a file (rusty or nice
      and new) on a chuck jaw can sure hurt you too. So think of what you are doing
      every time you turn on the lathe (or other machine tool)

      John Meacham
      from the high deserts of Calif
      12 inch Atlas lathe, mini mill, HF band saw and a rusty file.

      48)

    • Michael White
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 5, 2008
        Im sure its been said on this list many times but..

        Im still looking for a tool holder. The newer style bolt down block type. Im not sure of the proper name for these. Id like to buy one in the next few weeks. Im planning on making lots of small turned parts over the next month to kinf of pre make things so I spend less time later.

        Michael White
        Dallas Hotrod Parts
        www.dallashotrodparts.com
      • James Rice
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 5, 2008
          Michael, on my 12x36 I fitted a AXA tool post by Phase II. You will
          have to either do some major machining on the supplied t-nut or make a
          new one. I chose the fab a new one route. The post is rigid and
          convenient. I would have any other type. You can find them on Enco
          on sale for $90 and with free UPS shipping. Extra holders are
          available from CDCO/TotalCNC (same company) for $9-10 each.

          James

          --
          www.blackcube.org - The Texas State Home for Wayward and Orphaned Computers
        • Michael White
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 5, 2008
            Thanks, I will do a search...

            Michael White

            Dallas Hotrod Parts

            www.dallashotrodparts.com

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 5, 2008
              wow, I just did a search and came up with many results. I will have to search pictures first since many sites are asking me questions before showing pics. I may also have to break down and make a tool holderĀ  myself. Im sure I could fab one out of cold rolled stock.

              Michael White

              Dallas Hotrod Parts

              www.dallashotrodparts.com

              --