RE: [atlas_craftsman] Lathe speeds

  • Steve Mayall
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 1, 2008
      Will do Tom. If it works fine and I still have all my fingers, I'll report
      back later. :-)

      Cheers

      Steve

      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 5, 2008
        After much messing about, I bought an old tacho off eBay. It's a Starret
        tacho quite like this one:

        http://physics.kenyon.edu/EarlyApparatus/Mechanics/Tachometer/Tachometer.htm

        You reset it and pop the end in your spinning chuck. Time it for a minute
        and the see how many revs it has counted. The scale on the outside counts
        revs (1-100) and the inside scale clicks over every 100 revs.

        I have some info for my Halifax 524 if that's any use to anyone:

        I didn't change motor drive pulleys right now as it's too much hassle, but
        with the motor connected to the smaller pully and Pully 1 being the largest
        drive pully (top left) just above/behind the headstock the speeds in RPM
        were:

        Backgear - 85

        I hope this info is useful to someone.

        Cheers